The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonga

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

A7 + Leica Elmarit-M 90MM @ F4.
Crop from the same shot (about 25% of the image):
-- Eeraj
I will be VERY happy if my 90mm Elmarit-R ROM performs this well on my A7. Hope to have my Novoflex adapter on Monday.

Gary

bensonga

Ash: Nicely done! Do you have a "release" for those last photos? :D

Shots from today's meander through the Pike Place Market with Ashwin. A7 with Sony Zeiss 55mm F/1.8.

Cheers, Matt
Love these shots! The 55/1.8 FE is looking really good.

Gary

m_driscoll

Matt: Once more a nice set from your journey, and I'm sure, you won't be surprised too much that I particularly like the last two.
Everybody: Thanks. Always fun, and productive, to go out with a fellow enthusiast to shoot. I'm liking that lens. Not sure why anybody wouldn't?

Hermann: Thanks! I'm not surprised. :) The last shot was the corridor outside our room. The second to last was looking up from the first floor lobby through the tapering atrium. The third from last was the atria opening at the top floor night club. Very interesting renovation of the old BBC Building.

Cheers, Matt

W.Utsch

Windows, Reflections and looking through....

There's the Photographer in this one....

Sharp and creamy

Michiel Schierbeek

HI Michiel
I love all these - the evening light has done really well (no Nikon Yellow Paint here).
Did you use a tripod for the shots with the Canon 100 f2?

all the best
Thank you, Jono.
No tripod. I am really glad with that 100/2 FD. No camera till now did so much justice to my FD lenses or the other way around. :)

benroy

Subscriber Member

Nikon 50-135/3.5 MF w/A7. Compact, beautifully constructed, very sharp...been one of my favorites since I was using it as a 75-200 with my D200. Like other zooms (75-150E, 80-200/4.5) of its vintage, has zoom creep so you have to be careful with focusing...images produced are worth the care.

Last edited:

Chris C

Some shots with the Olympus OM 55/1.2 on a7, wide open...
And what it looks like on the camera with a Novoflex adapter...
Makten,

I'm very interested in Olympus OM legacy lenses on Sony a7/a7r. How does the Novoflex adapter behave with your Sony mount, and the OM mount; e.g. does the fit of each feel well matched?

I'm particularly interested in Sony/OM wide-angle combinations down to, say, OM 24mm; have you shot any wide-angle OMs, and if so, how's the result? Hope you or someone else can give feedback.

……………… Chris

PSon

Thank you, Jono.
No tripod. I am really glad with that 100/2 FD. No camera till now did so much justice to my FD lenses or the other way around. :)
I myself had found that the A7R can make lens perform great that did not look good on previous digital cameras due to aberrations. Thus this is the positive finding which opposes the negative finding of wide angle Leica M and other range finder wide and especially super-wide angle lens on this camera. On another note, I also sometimes prefer the old Zeiss SLR lens (I don't have new version) over the Leica M lens due to color and clarity, which is a shocking finding on my part. This does make sense since Zeiss is designing lens for the Sony camera system. From another angle, I prefer my Leica M lens on my M9 over the Sony. This last note will need much more space to write so I will keep it short here. Perhaps just perhaps a reason why Jono returned his camera?

Last edited:

PSon

On a good note of the Canon FD lens on the Sony A7R (A7?) camera by Michiel, here is my contribution to the forums:

I found that the 1.2/50L FD has a wider view and more interesting bokeh than the new 1.2/50L EF lens.

Jim DE

re: Fun With Sony _____

Ahhh I see someone else besides me is out there still using something other than a A7/A7r.. :) .. excellent shots Malina DZ. I just got a pristine Minolta 50mm f1.4 for $105usd a month ago on the auction site and near feel guilty using it I got it so cheap.

I know I have been cleaning up on the used A mount lenses on flee bay and getting some ridiculously great deals on some truly spectacular glass due to the move to E mount FF and people trying to get cash to pay for this new glass to use on their new babies ;) Between the dumping of old A mount glass (guess many don't like using A-E adapters I know I have two of these for my NEX system and barely ever used mine) and the dumping of E mount apc glass on flee bay I am going to the poor house buying up what I did not already have for my two Sony systems at pennies on the dollar.

Makten

Makten,

I'm very interested in Olympus OM legacy lenses on Sony a7/a7r. How does the Novoflex adapter behave with your Sony mount, and the OM mount; e.g. does the fit of each feel well matched?
The fit between camera and adapter is perfect; just like a native lens. Between adapter and lenses it's a bit tighter, but not exstensively so. The adapter is also darkish, almost black, on all the internal faces, so I expect no problems with flare and have never seen it so far.
If cost is not a problem, I think it's nicer built than my two Metabones adapters. Thickness is within 0.01 mm all around, which is very good (measured with precision digital calipers).

I'm particularly interested in Sony/OM wide-angle combinations down to, say, OM 24mm; have you shot any wide-angle OMs, and if so, how's the result? Hope you or someone else can give feedback.
Yes, I have the 21/3.5 SC, 28/3.5 SC, 28/2 MC, 35/2.8 SC and they are all very good except for the extreme corners, unless stopping down quite a bit. They are so tiny that I actually like that the adapter is fairly long! :D It makes the ergonomics better.

What I like most about the OM lenses are the colors, that remind me of very expensive Leica glass. Perhaps they had to use some exotic glass types to be able to minimize the optical design. Particularly the 21/3.5 is unbelievably good for being so small.

Don't have much with the 21 online, but here is one at f/5.6. IIRC, it was only cropped at the bottom.

5577 by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

The 28/2 is my favourite, and makes a nice kit with the FE 55. Here's a bunch with it...

Sabbatsbergs sjukhus by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Cloth by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

At the pier by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

Drawers by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

VOLVO by Martin Hertsius, on Flickr

The originals are ~1500 pixels wide, so follow the links if you want to see them larger.

Ben Rubinstein

I've got a OM 21m f3.5 MC on the way with a Novoflex but I won't get it till the end of the month worse luck. Had to post it to the UK and a friend is bringing it out for me. I have 3 novoflex's on the way. OM, M42 and Pentax K. Yes I can get cheaper adaptors but I don't have the patience for messing around and trying stuff. Easier just to invest now rather than invest later having paid for a bunch of heartache in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.