The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

I myself had found that the A7R can make lens perform great that did not look good on previous digital cameras due to aberrations. Thus this is the positive finding which opposes the negative finding of wide angle Leica M and other range finder wide and especially super-wide angle lens on this camera. On another note, I also sometimes prefer the old Zeiss SLR lens (I don't have new version) over the Leica M lens due to color and clarity, which is a shocking finding on my part. This does make sense since Zeiss is designing lens for the Sony camera system. From another angle, I prefer my Leica M lens on my M9 over the Sony. This last note will need much more space to write so I will keep it short here. Perhaps just perhaps a reason why Jono returned his camera?
HI there - certainly was - my first idea was to use the A7r with M lenses, and although the longer focal length's were fine . . . but anyway, my reasons were given.
I've had some time to think of it now - and realised that rather than having the A7r to take up some of the business with the Leica M . . . I could use an A7 to take up some of the business of my E-M1.

jonoslack

What I like most about the OM lenses are the colors, that remind me of very expensive Leica glass. Perhaps they had to use some exotic glass types to be able to minimize the optical design. Particularly the 21/3.5 is unbelievably good for being so small.

Don't have much with the 21 online, but here is one at f/5.6. IIRC, it was only cropped at the bottom.

The 28/2 is my favourite, and makes a nice kit with the FE 55. Here's a bunch with it...
They're fantastic Martin - excellent

jonoslack

Just a quick walk and a visit to the pub on a grey grey afternoon. . . . and only 18% battery charge from the store!

Kit lens, A7, 6400 ISO 1/30th - Oh Yes!

If I look hard enough it'll EXPLODE​

BSEH

A walk at the marine station in CPH with A7r and the Zeiss 55 1.8 - Despite reading it's a no soul lens, cold and no feelings :), and the sensor/processsor is not that good - stealing bit from you, and SONY fake a AA filter.. Im still in love..

MarcB83

Nice shots Werner! Is the 18mm the Zeiss on a Nikon mount? If so, how do you like it? Any comments vs. the Zeiss 21mm? I have the Zeiss 21mm but would like to change for the 18 for weight and space reasons.

Thanks!

jaree

I will be VERY happy if my 90mm Elmarit-R ROM performs this well on my A7. Hope to have my Novoflex adapter on Monday.

Gary
Gary - I had the Elmarit-R 90MM earlier (not ROM, older version) and used it on Nex-7 along with the M version. The R is equally capable, though I found that it needed a boost in contrast sometimes. Other than that, the sharpness and clarity was at par with the Elmarit M.

-- Eeraj

D

Deleted member 7792

A walk at the marine station in CPH with A7r and the Zeiss 55 1.8 - Despite reading it's a no soul lens, cold and no feelings :), and the sensor/processsor is not that good - stealing bit from you, and SONY fake a AA filter.. Im still in love..
:D Me too!

Joe

Chris C

The fit between camera and adapter is perfect; just like a native lens. Between adapter and lenses it's a bit tighter.. ... I think it's nicer built than my two Metabones adapters…..

Yes, I have the 21/3.5 SC, 28/3.5 SC, 28/2 MC, 35/2.8 SC and they are all very good except for the extreme corners...

What I like most about the OM lenses are the colors, that remind me of very expensive Leica glass…... Particularly the 21/3.5 is unbelievably good for being so small…...
Martin - Thank you for your speedy and generous response; it helps me a great deal. Even on my inexpensive temporary monitor I get your enjoyment of the colour output, you've made a compelling case for OM lenses used with a Novoflex adapter. Thank you for the helpful information, and the telling images.

……………… Chris

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

Love that first shot, Don! :thumbs:

Joe

D&A

I've gone through each page of this thread and to say I'm blown away by most of the images posted is an understatement. Sign me up I'm sold...well almost...and that's because of the worry regarding wide angle lens performance on the A7r.

There are times I need near optimal edge to edge sharpness at focal lengths of 18mm, 21mm and 28mm without color casts (even though there are specific ways to reduce it... and from all I've seen and read, it can be problematic with a substatial majority of lenses with these focal lengths. I've seen the Leica 21mm f3.4 and that looks good as does the VC 35mm f1.2 and 18mm f4 Zeiss-M. The Olympus lenses look promising, maybe perform better on the A7r than the Leica M lenses in general.

I hope there can be a greater percentage of postings with these and other wide/ultra wide angle lenses in order to clearly delineate where and with what lenses lie issues relative to their interaction with the sensor...esepcailly in real world shooting. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

fotografz

I've gone through each page of this thread and to say I'm blown away by most of the images posted is an understatement. Sign me up I'm sold...well almost...and that's because of the worry regarding wide angle lens performance on the A7r.

There are times I need near optimal edge to edge sharpness at focal lengths of 18mm, 21mm and 28mm without color casts (even though there are specific ways to reduce it... and from all I've seen and read, it can be problematic with a substatial majority of lenses with these focal lengths. I've seen the Leica 21mm f3.4 and that looks good as does the VC 35mm f1.2 and 18mm f4 Zeiss-M. The Olympus lenses look promising, maybe perform better on the A7r than the Leica M lenses in general.

I hope there can be a greater percentage of postings with these and other wide/ultra wide angle lenses in order to clearly delineate where and with what lenses lie issues relative to their interaction with the sensor...esepcailly in real world shooting. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
Dave, from reports, I thought the Leica WATE work well (?) ... seems like that would be the dream WA lens, and be easier to work with than on a M camera with the Frankenfinder.

One thing we discovered while doing some tests yesterday is that a few WA lenses did vignette, but it was true vignetting as opposed to added rainbow color casts. One was easily adjusted, the other darn near impossible.

Good luck!

- Marc

D&A

Thanks Marc! Early on I had carefully read that posted report regarding the exceptionally good performance of the WATE on the A7r, exhibiting little or no color casts nor corner smearing but unfortunately the same couldn't be said from quite a few of the other wide/ultra wides tested. I can live with vignetting, which I expected, especially with non retrofocused designed lenses used on adapters (correct me if I'm wrong) but cannot accept readily color casts or mediocre-to-poor sharpness in the corners. Has it generally been established with regards to the Sony sensor that adapter mounted retrofocus designed wide angles do better than the non retrofocused wides with regards to corner and color cast issues with the A7r? I eagerly look forward to yours and others in depth observations with these wider lenses.

The WATE does appeals to be ideal but unfortunately I sold mine long before there was even a hint of the A7(r) and reacquiring one is unfortunately at a steep premium. Love the thought though that the Frankenfinder would no longer be needed. If only I had known.

The Leica 21mm f3.4 appears to do well as does the Zeiss ZM 18mm, but not so with the Zeiss ZM 21mm f2.8. From what I've heard and seen it's somewhat of a mixed bag with the various non SLR 24's and 28mm lenses. Guess each lens has to be evaluated individually. Again thanks!

Dave (D&A)

jaree

Dave,

If you need edge to edge sharpness, you can safely rule out the 21 SEM at least on the A7. I tried it (with Novoflex adapter) and the corners were VERY BLURRED at F3.4. It improves a bit at F5.6. Central sharpness and colors were excellent, though. Maybe it works better on the A7R (I only have A7) and YMMV.

A shame as this lens shines on the M9. Lens was deposited back in the locker today.

I will try the WATE tomorrow if it does not rain here.

- Eeraj

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

jaree

Posted these in LUF and reposting here in case they are of some use:

35Mm Summilux ASPH (FLE) on A7. No correction applied to vignetting or any (invisible to me) color cast. First one at F1.4, second at F8, 3rd one crop from the F8 picture (about 20% of the frame).

Very harsh light, A7 handled it very well. If this continues, my M9 will be up for sale soon.

I ***shudder*** to think what this camera can do with something like a Zeiss 135/F2.

- Eeraj

D&A

Thanks for both your posts and info Eeraj and also to Ashwin and Aravind for passing along your findings, much appreciated! I wonder though how your observations might have been different if shooting with the A7r instead of the A7. That is where I believe the issue with wides and ultra wides becomes quite pronounced. Obviously the thought of owning and using both the A7r and a Leica M9 (or M) in unison with Leica M lenses no longer seems like an ideal situation (with regards to use of the wides).

Aside from the WATE, it seems that one might have to wait to see what Sony (Zeiss) has up it's sleeve in the near future for these wider focal lengths lenses (15mm to 28mm). As popular as 35mm on up is, it would be unfortunate if the Achilles heel of this system is the wides/ultrawides.

Dave (D&A)

Status
Not open for further replies.