The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Thanks Jono regarding the A7 with your WATE. Although I can foresee a two camera system (the A7 & A7r) to cover a multitude of purposes, much as Guy has come to the same logic, it's the A7r that is the far more demanding one with regards to wides and ultra wides. Since its been reported the WATE is one of the few that does well on the A7r, I'm not all that surprised by your observations with it on your A7.
I can see the point of a two camera system . . just . . . but the AA filter on the A7 seems to be pretty light, and for me personally (at least now) I don't think that dealing with the first curtain shutter slap is worth the rather incremental increase in print size that 36mp offers over 24mp. We shall see!

Added to which I'd guess that the number of ultra-wides good enough to make the most of the extra pixels is going to be few and far between. Certainly, I don't think the WATE performed as well on the A7r as on the A7.

One question... It now seems many of the Leica M lenses were a disappointment on the A7r for a variety of reasons, do you feel with your A7, that your opinion of them has changed to some degree? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)
Hi There Dave
I haven't spent enough time with M lenses to get a handle on it . . . . I did use the 50 'lux a bit last night, and it did seem to have some of the old charm.
Here is an example:

50 lux at f1.4 ISO 1000 1/80th

Slipper and Old Rose​

Truth to tell, I didn't get the A7 to use with M lenses, it seems pretty clear to me that I'm going to do better using an M with M lenses, so that's what I'll do.

On the other hand I think there is probably a world of good, small legacy SLR lenses which might do very nicely on both cameras. Added to which the startling quality of the kit lens makes me hope that Sony and Zeiss will come forward with some wonderful native lenses.

Last edited:

cellison

Here's a quick pic of Sophie sitting in my chair.

A7r - 55mm FE
Handheld @ ISO 1250
1/100s - f2.8

D

Deleted member 7792

My first shot with Summicron 75 APO on A7R. A great match IMHO. And the A7R lets me shoot this handheld at 02:00. 400ISO, 1/160s, f:4.0.
And I've found the 90mm Apo-Summicron-M and 135mm Apo-Telyt to be good performers on the A7R as well. Thanks Philippe.

Joe

jonoslack

Most unexpected with a new camera - we had an hour of sunshine this morning, and managed to get a walk in. Snip Snap I went with the A7 and the kit lens, and I'm pleased with the results.

Here are a few samples:

Sun Damage

Tyred

Waverney River

scho

A few taken today at Ithaca Falls and Cayuga Lake with the A7R+Sony 55mm f/1.8 Sonnar. Just handheld walkabout shots using shutter priority mode.

bensonga

So many excellent images here, it hardly matters whether they were taken with an A7/A7r or not.

While I wait for the Leica R adapter to arrive (hopefully tomorrow), I took a few shots today with my A7 and the FE 28-70 "kit lens". I took comparable shots with my Nikon D7100 and the excellent 60mm AF-S micro-Nikkor....since both are 24 megapixel cameras. The Sony and Nikon shots were very much on par with each other, in my view.

Here is one of the A7 shots. Probably could use a touch more sharpening. I tend to err on the side of less vs more.

Gary

Last edited:

jaree

Gary - Superb. This kit lens looks like a killer piece of glass and at the bundled price can't be beat.

- Eeraj

bensonga

Gary - Superb. This kit lens looks like a killer piece of glass and at the bundled price can't be beat.
- Eeraj
I agree Eeraj. As images from others here have shown (much better than my own), the 28-70 is an excellent lens and a real bargain for the "kit price" of $300. My first thought was to buy the A7 body only, but I'm glad I went for the kit.

Gary

jaree

*** Barbie Alert. Non-scientific test. ***

A7R + Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH.

I was able to borrow the doll and pony for a few minutes. Focus was on Barbie's right eye iris (on the circular catchlight to be precise).

Test "scene":

and now the crops:

F1.4:

F2.0:

F5.6

Other apertures available on my Flickr photostream.

- Eeraj
Flickr: brownxy's Photostream

jaree

*** Pony alert. Non scientific corner test, operator error may be involved. ***

Sony A7 + Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH.

Test "Scene", focus was on the heart in pony's eye:

F1.4:

F2.0:

F5.6:

Other apertures on flickr.

-- Eeraj