The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Jono,
Emma and the dogs in Bier lane, and the BW dogs in the previous post (my preferred) seem to show the character of the lens, very sharp and contrasty indeed and with defined personality.

Sergio

benroy

Subscriber Member

Jono: heavenly sunshine in your last image...all in this set are great, but the last one is lovely.

Roy Benson

jonoslack

Jono,
Emma and the dogs in Bier lane, and the BW dogs in the previous post (my preferred) seem to show the character of the lens, very sharp and contrasty indeed and with defined personality.

Sergio
Sergio - I think it's a fine lens - not perfect of course (but which zoom lens is), but definitely a good example of the species!

Here are 3 early morning detail shots - sunshine streaming through the bedroom window:

Pears Coal Tar Soap

Hanging Out With Normandy

Sunny Window and Old Jeans​

jonoslack

These three taken in low light

ISO 1250 with Leica 50 'lux Asph

ISO 6400 with the kit lens

ISO 3200 with the kit lens

Gbealnz

Not your usual posting here.
A spectacular array of solar acne is happening at the moment, and while most will be oblivious to this, I thought I'd try the A7R on it. I usually use a form of webcam (a flash/expensive form though), but in the past have also used a simple DSLR or P&S. No, the "webcam" is better, but it was fun.
Whatever you do, DO NOT look at the sun directly to see this.This picture was taken through a 10" telescope with a focal length of 1250mm. On the front was a solar filter (mylar style) with a density of ND5. Shutter speeds was 1/3200th sec, at ISO100.
As an aside, if you have access to a solar safe filter, take a look, this spot group is easily visible to the naked eye.
Gary

tashley

Subscriber Member

Well the thread does say "Fun With"

I've escaped the grey wet northern climes for something almost as wet but at least equatorially warm. I hoped to get the replacement 35 F2.8 and maybe the 24-70 F4 before i left but it was not to be, so I blagged a retailer into splitting an A7 kit so I could purchase just the kit lens so I'd have a flexible run'n'gun lens for less than perfect but hassle free zoom shooting whilst on vacation. I've got the 55 F1.8 with me in case any real opportunities present themselves...

The 28-70 really is fun. It is imperfect (at this price you'd expect that) and not always very well behaved in terms of focus, stability or shape of field of focus but heck, when it is sharp it is extremely sharp and some frames have blown me away whilst others have been 'meh'.

But I had low-ish expectations and they have, after one day's shooting, been greatly exceeded.

Here are some.

cellison

I just about froze my fingers off taking this photo. I had to use a pretty fast shutter speed since the wind was whipping the plants around.

A7r | FE 55mm f1.8 ZA
ISO 100 | 1/800s | f4.5

pozzello

A few from this afternoon before the big chill :)

I might hold off on the FE 55 - my cheapo Canon 50mm f1.8 II holds up really well on the A7R :

An a (really poor) 3 image stitch with the FE 35mm f2.8 :)

pozzello

And a few from my latest installment of "Drive By Shooting" - North bound on the 15...

A7R w/ FE 35mm f2.8. 1/4000th

One way of giving the FE35 more character - shoot through a salty slushy car window :)

Last edited:

PSon

Sony A7R + Canon 50mm F1.2L FD
No fancy bird here, just the regular kind for manual focus practice

Taylor Sherman

Pictures from Saturday afternoon. . . A7

R80 at f/1.4

21 Super-Elmar at f/8 or maybe f/11

ZM50 at f/5.6

R80, not sure of the aperture - probably f/5.6

R80 at f/5.6, with "positive film" color profile in LR

ashwinrao1

Taylor, we were at a golden gardens at basically the same time, maybe an hour before you by the look of that lovely light this past Saturday

Taylor Sherman

That's right! Too bad we didn't run into each other. One thing I wanted to get a shot of but wasn't close enough was people burning those old christmas trees - they would really flame up spectacularly when first lit. By the time I got over to one, it was just smoking a lot :)

Regarding the 21 Super-Elmar: while it definitely doesn't reach full potential on the A7 (let alone the A7R), for a lens that I already had (and plan to keep), it works pretty well IMO. I think there are some (smaller) SLR lenses which will get you 75%+ of the way there for much, much less however - the OM 21/3.5 I think? Of course the Distagon 21/2.8 is great but large.

This is probably f/8 on the A7. I wouldn't print this at 20x30, but it'd make a great 16x24 print.

Status
Not open for further replies.