The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonoslack

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Cornish Skies
A7 with the 28-70 kit lens

dressing to the left

dressing to the right

I think the A7 files do nicely for black and white conversions - these are with Silver efex Pro II

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

re: Fun With Sony _____

I found this guy was on my doorstep this morning! Either a Wolf or Fishing Spider, about 2-3 inches across. I moved him to my garage as I doubt he'd survive our snowy weather outside.

A99 with Sigma 70 mm Macro.

nostatic

Color me a constantly interested observer. Glass certainly is key. That said, I go to the fun with EM1 thread and then back to this one and I still am especially struck by the night/low light shots from the Sony. There just seems to be a depth to them that is a touch beyond anything else.

Knorp

Hi There
I thought nobody was interested!
The one on the top was the E-M1, but the point really was a reality check about full frame and depth of field.
Correction: both Pham Minh Son and I gave it a try ! We picked the bottom image as the A7 (the greenish one).
Clearly the DOF gave it away, but otherwise it'd be hard to tell them apart.

Kind regards.

k-hawinkler

jonoslack

Correction: both Pham Minh Son and I gave it a try ! We picked the bottom image as the A7 (the greenish one).
Clearly the DOF gave it away, but otherwise it'd be hard to tell them apart.

Kind regards.
Hi Bart
Apologies to you and Son
I'm not sure that the DOF was the giveaway, I thought it was more that the subject was larger in the E-M1 shot?

jonoslack

k-hawinkler

I meant color-wise the first image in both posts look similar.
That's all.

Last edited:

PSon

Hi Bart
Apologies to you and Son
I'm not sure that the DOF was the giveaway, I thought it was more that the subject was larger in the E-M1 shot?
Hi Bart and Jono,
I picked the bottom image for one reason which included all the reasons from both of your (Bart & Jono) different reasons:
The overall image is so much smoother in the case of the Sony as compare to the E-M1 image. The out of focus rendering was so much smoother. The reason for this is due to the magnification of the scene was higher on the E-M1. The in focus region of interest from the E-M1 was sharper than the Sony. But not only the region of sharpness was more magnified but also the out of focus region was more magnified. This higher magnification makes the depth of field on the E-M1 to be higher than the Sony which makes sense since the E-M1 is a 2x crop factor and the Sony is full frame. You can clearly see the outer focus region of the stem is harsher in the case of the E-M1 compare to the Sony. With this very same reason the Sony has very shallow depth of field. Even as small as the compressed images presented, the noise level was clearly more magnified on the E-M1 than the Sony. Thus the E-M1 has more magnified noise to my eyes and therefore appeared less smooth. The conclusion I made was that both of you were correct just seeing it in a different way.

Best Regards,
-Son

Last edited:

Michiel Schierbeek

Wanted to pohotograph this for a long time. It is along the highway, but this time I stopped. Did not have the right equipment for it, only a table tripod which was far to low.
Will get back to it for my series.

Status
Not open for further replies.