The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensonga

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Still very gray and snowy here, but I wanted to try my 50mm Summicron-R on the A7, so I had another go at the Cleaver and Brooks boiler. This time in "B&W".

It's clear that the A7/A7r can produce amazing images, but I've found that using manual focus lenses on it is just not very enjoyable for me. The small button for activating focus magnification creates a very "fiddly" experience for me, so the camera is less enjoyable to use than I had hoped it would be. I guess I'm just not well suited for these small cameras.

Once again....I curse Leica for never creating a digital R10.

Gary

A7 with 50mm Summicron-R. B&W conversion with Nik SilverEfex Pro II...Tri-X film type.

Last edited:

Viramati

This black and white conversion is beautiful - may I ask how you converted it ?
I use Lr5.3 as my base programme and then convert in Silverefexpro 2. Silverefex is a powerful tool when it comes to B&W conversion and does some very good film emulation as well plus you can add borders etc. It's colour filter tools (red filter to darken skies etc) works so much better than anything you can do in LR5

iiiNelson

Thanks Ben and HiredArm, I'll give them a try, are they THAT much better than LR/CS ?
For a more film like look for your prints yes. It's night and day but that's not to say you can't get a great look only using LR5. You can.

bcm

The small button for activating focus magnification creates a very "fiddly" experience for me, so the camera is less enjoyable to use than I had hoped it would be. I guess I'm just not well suited for these small cameras.
I have focus mag mapped to the the button inside the AEL switch. It falls directly below my thumb when I hold the camera so it's very natural and easy to use.

If you've got it mapped somewhere else might be worth a try?

benroy

Subscriber Member

Minolta 100/2.8 AF macro lens w/A7...very sharp images with some real punch...quite a surprise.

Last edited:

Knorp

Random shots with the tiny Leica Summaron 1:2.8/35mm.
I'm pretty pleased with this lens.

bensonga

I have focus mag mapped to the the button inside the AEL switch. It falls directly below my thumb when I hold the camera so it's very natural and easy to use.

Thanks for the suggestion/tip Ben....I think having focus mag on that button would really improve my experience with the camera. On my camera, that button doesn't seem to do anything with my Leica R lenses mounted on it. The only way I've been able to activate focus magnification is with the tiny C1 button on top of the camera, which I have a hard time locating without taking my eyes away from the viewfinder and actually hunting for it.

Now I just need to figure out how to map focus mag to that button inside the AEL switch.....

Gary

bensonga

Hooray!....it works. My friend Brian wrote to tell me how to change the setting. This is going to make the experience of using my A7 with MF lenses much more enjoyable and easy. It's funny how little things can make such a big difference. Thanks again Ben! :thumbup:

Gary

MikalWGrass

re: Fun With Sony _____

Shot an Orthodox Jewish music festival last night with the a900 and ZA 135/1.8. The 35/2 was acting up for some reason, and since the lighting was so poor I took out the ZA 135/1.8. Getting shots of the bandmates playing together required me to stand pretty far from the stage, but it was worth it. I really really really missed the 85/1.4. Really.

Photos coming when the minimal post processing is finished.

The ZA 135/1.8 is such a great lens that it really makes this rank amateur's pics sing.

k-hawinkler

Random shots with the tiny Leica Summaron 1:2.8/35mm.
I'm pretty pleased with this lens.

Thanks Bart. Terrific shots. In the last image the ice looks pretty whet.
Of course, I may be mistaken. But how deep is the water?

In my childhood, long ago, we could walk for miles in the middle of a frozen river, the Weser.
One just had to stay clear of the open patches. :D

pegelli

Agree Mikal, I'd be interested to see them when ready :)

Here's some of my recent band shots with the A850 and CZ 135/1.8
The band is SX, a group of up and coming Belgian artists

But if you put the old Minolta 28-70/2.8 G on you can also get some nice results:

But to my surprise a NEX6 with E50/1.8 delivers similar quality (if you don't blow up too much)

MarcB83

Great tip. I had programmed the C3 button but its location is not as ideal and furthermore, I then had to press the OK button in the middle of the weel. The AEL button not only falls naturally under the thumb, but by pressing it a second time, it magnifies the view. MUCH better! :)

MikalWGrass

Peg. I will post a few in a few mins. I think the Belgian band is a lot more avant garde than the Orthodox musicians who performed last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.