The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Re: Fun with the A7/7R

NO. The dang hood even with my retrofitting the hood for the D800e on the Sony A7r I still see the dang corners. So here is what i did , I just got this and it takes a 77mm filter but when I put the ND 77mm I got vignetting so i am ordering a new 85mm ND with step up for it. But Stephen sent me this link and i bought it, serves as a nice hood for one and i ordered a 80mm push on cap for it too. Really like this
Here are some links

Duclos Lenses — Leica 19mm V.II 80mm Step-Up Ring

Kaiser 80mm Push-On Lens Cap 206980 B&H Photo Video

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member

Guy, thanks very much for the info. I really like the Elmarit-R 19 but not the hood! I am also glad that you kept your copy (I was worried when you had it FS few weeks ago).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Guy, thanks very much for the info. I really like the Elmarit-R 19 but not hood! I am also glad that you kept your copy (I was worried when you had it FS few weeks ago).
I was having a bad brain fart. LOL

Actually i was thinking of a canon 17 TSE lens to replace it which is not a bad thought but it also took the small lens away with a big truck of a lens and also I realized its usage is limited. Something i could rent when i get a gig like that.

Godfrey

Thanks, Godfrey. I'll give it a try next time it rains. That'll be soon, then!
Correction ... Not the Print module, just the Slide Show module. Demonstration:

Pentax *ist DS, FA 100-300mm
ISO 800 @ f/11 @ 1/3200 s @ 255mm fl

(Three more of these from my visit in 2005 just posted to flickr.com. Click the above to get there...)

G

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member

Thanks Godfrey...the initial look at the RAW file was uninspiring...sometimes it helps to look again. I do like it a lot myself.

Regards,

Bob

Godfrey

The Elmarit-R 24/2.8 I bought via Ebay arrived. It's in generally very nice shape, in the original box with packing and lens hood. Very tiny scratch on the front element ... inconsequential. Focus ring and aperture work smoothly and easily, no oil on the aperture blades.

I fitted it to the A7 and did a couple of quickie test shots (still too darn busy to take a few hours off and go for a shooting walk). Corners look good (little to no smearing) even at f/2.8, of course they tighten up and look better at f/4 and f/5.6. A bit of light falloff wide open, again better when stopped down a stop, etc.

I think compatibility with the A7 sensor is at least very good. I'll have to do some more rigorous testing. This is one I'll likely shoot a roll of film alongside the A7 to really see what the lens is like in both mediums. But I'm already pretty sure its going to work out just fine anyway. :)

Now back to work.

scho

Just received a near mint condition Leica R Vario-Elmar f/4 35-70 and played around inside with macros and focus stacking. Very nice lens and hope it warms up a bit this weekend so I can take it out for a test walk.

Last edited:

scho

The Elmarit-R 24/2.8 I bought via Ebay arrived. It's in generally very nice shape, in the original box with packing and lens hood. Very tiny scratch on the front element ... inconsequential. Focus ring and aperture work smoothly and easily, no oil on the aperture blades.

I fitted it to the A7 and did a couple of quickie test shots (still too darn busy to take a few hours off and go for a shooting walk). Corners look good (little to no smearing) even at f/2.8, of course they tighten up and look better at f/4 and f/5.6. A bit of light falloff wide open, again better when stopped down a stop, etc.

I think compatibility with the A7 sensor is at least very good. I'll have to do some more rigorous testing. This is one I'll likely shoot a roll of film alongside the A7 to really see what the lens is like in both mediums. But I'm already pretty sure its going to work out just fine anyway. :)

Now back to work.
Congrats Godfrey. I have this lens also and it behaves about the same as you described on my A7R, except I have to stop down to about f/8 to get the corners sharpened up. My 28 elmarit R is better in terms of edge/corner performance on the A7R, but both are very sharp and produce nice color with the sony sensor.

ashwinrao1

Nice reportage, Ashwin! Do you happen to recall what lenses? They seem to be covering the corners quite well.

Kirk
Hi Kirk, I used the 21 SE (rarely), and mainly the 35 lux asph (pre FLE) and 75 Summilux...All seem to do fine for this type of work, on the A7. The 35 and 75, in particular, were stellar, and the 21 was totally fine in this light and circumstance...plenty sharp and not much notable smearing...

nostatic

Wait, you're not allowed to shoot sports with a mirrorless. Even media days. I'm sure it violates some state law or something.

Maybe if you painted the lens white...

Status
Not open for further replies.