The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

f/otographer

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Hi all. As I posted over on the Fuji forum I am really liking what I see in the new Fuji X-T1. But I realized the price of the new Fuji and the inevitable Speedbooster I would purchase for it is actually a little more then what I can get an A7 body only for.

Since all I shoot is old manual focus lenses (and the A7 is perfect for that) I thought I would go give the it a test at a local camera store. I brought a bevy of legacy glass and ran some images thru them. I pretty pleased with what the camera can do. Here are just a few samples. The first two are from the Yashica ML 50/1.7 (series 2) and the last is from the Yashica ML Macro 55/4.

helpful camera store employee

holy mary mother of god hand cannon

details

dchew

Walked out on the reservoir behind my house. We call these things snow rollers, but it reminded me of The Racetrack in Death Valley. The wind picks up and the snow starts to peel and roll.

All shot with the Zeiss 25 f/2. I was out about 2 hours in 2 degrees F, camera was fine but my right hand got cold until I started moving again. I must say I could operate most the controls with clunky gloves on.

Dave

Godfrey

Thanks Michiel! and the others who 'liked' it. :)

Question for you all: Is the Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control the correct wired remote to use with the Sony A7/A7r? The manual seems oddly inconclusive about it, and the device specs look like they were written before the A7 was around.

thx
Godfrey

scho

Thanks Michiel! and the others who 'liked' it. :)

Question for you all: Is the Sony RM-VPR1 Remote Control the correct wired remote to use with the Sony A7/A7r? The manual seems oddly inconclusive about it, and the device specs look like they were written before the A7 was around.

thx
Godfrey
I'm using the Sony remote control RMT-DSLR2 with the A7R.

scho

A few more with the A7R and Leica R 35-70 f/4 Vario-Elmar. Taken today at the local farmers market and boat landing.

petetsai

A few more Chicago's Chinese New Year Celebration.

Shot with the A7r and 55mm FE lens

Chicago Chinese New Year by PeteTsai, on Flickr

Shot with the A7r and 14-24mm Nikon lens

And here is a video of the light being projected onto the Chicago Cultural Center. Shot with the A7r and 14-24mm Nikon
Luftwerk Chinese New Year 2014, Chicago "Year of the Horse" - YouTube

nostatic

The night shots I've seen here are what pushed me over the edge to go headlong into the A7 abyss. Trying to avoid adding the R. :D

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Hey Bill,
How's that lens behaving on the A7r? Can you post a flat field close-up?

David
Sure, I'll give it a try in the next day or so. I find it to be sharpest macro lens I've ever used, despite Sigma's less than stellar rep for quality control.

Stay tuned!

Taylor Sherman

I went to the 24 Hours of Daytona race last week and weekend - it was a lot of fun and very impressive on a lot of levels.

Most taken with the A7 and CV35/1.2 II, a few with the CV15/4.5 including the panorama, which was an in-camera vertical-orientation pano - JPG output, so no correction for the color shift caused by that lens on the camera.

I also took the Summilux-R 80 and CV180/4 SL. I tried to get shots with crisp cars and background blur, but really needed AF and stabilization of some sort to pull that off. I had a ton of non-keepers, and the ones I am keeping usually aren't that sharp/in-focus at 100%.

Taylor Sherman

The night shots I've seen here are what pushed me over the edge to go headlong into the A7 abyss. Trying to avoid adding the R. :D
I would probably recommend the A7R for night shots actually, because of the sensor-topping flare problem that the A7 has. The R has a bit of it but much less. (if you haven't seen this, bright lights in dark shots like at night have internal reflections within the sensor toppings and cause expanding-disc flares next to the light source. . .looks like they are ray-guns to me).

I'm starting to think about getting an R just because of this . . .

nostatic

Seems that not every one is seeing those artifacts. I just looked at my budget and I don't think adding an R to the 7 is going to happen this month :D

But, gung hay fat choi - or the day after

Godfrey

Seems that not every one is seeing those artifacts. I just looked at my budget and I don't think adding an R to the 7 is going to happen this month :D

But, gung hay fat choi - or the day after
I haven't seen them yet either.
Gung hey fat choi back to you! :)

G

W.Utsch

2 more of the "Bau und Sparverein"

TSE 24/3.5 II, full up-shift, more correction in post

f64

I would like to contribute two uncommon lenses.

A7 + Helios 44-2 58mm
a quite surprising lens from USSR, ugly as they come but quite competent, and will cost you around 25 euro

and my prized possession: an uncoated 1936 Leitz Summar 50mm
more expensive but it definitely has character to spare

Status
Not open for further replies.