The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwbell

Re: Fun with the A7/7R

Well worth it!

Stunning image, well done, well done indeed.

Thanks for sharing,

- Marc
Thanks Marc and everyone else for the kind words. Much appreciated.
Few things I loved while shooting this. I use TrueDoFPro by George Douvos which is an excellent app (as are all three of his DoF apps). For this shot I needed to set focus at 20m (ISO100, 1/250 f/5.6) to achieve sharp focus from 10m to infinity. The trees were around 20m and the FE55 is sharpest over more of the frame at f/5.6 with more than acceptable vignetting. The A7R I think is a non linear focus barrel to focus shift. So slowly turning the barrel in M focus mode gives you very fine adjustment to be able to get exactly 20m focus point. A faster turn seems to swoosh you out/in quicker per degree. At least that's my impression. This extra "slower you turn the more accurate you are" behaviour is welcome with gloves on (and you should try this shot without gloves!) and something not possible with purely manual mechanical coupling.

Also the zebra clipping and tilting screen again much improved my shooting comfort, I just dialled shutter speed almost carelessly until they were only showing in the tiniest of areas and that's that, pre-chimping is becoming a very capable exposure method for me these days.

This is prepared for an A2 print in my gallery and the down sizing here is crude to say the least (artefacts on the mountain to sky transition etc). The amount of detail and size of print file is staggering - I'm very very excited to print it this weekend - and THAT is why I shoot, the excitement of the final framed and hung image.

There's so much detail in the shadows, in the mid distance snow covered pines that I'm almost tempted to faux HDR it to death with the shadow adjustment - but this is how it felt and just because I CAN does't mean I should - although it's a lot of fun to 'see what's there' and good to know when your out on the next shoot how mush leeway you have down there.

Thanks again for the comments, it is encouraging even if I do it for myself and for the viewers reaction on the print.

lambert

Melbourne White Night Festival. Shot with the A7R+Zeiss 24-70 combo, handheld and above my head - due to the insane number of people.

24mm f/4.0 1/20s ISO 3200

49mm f/4.5 1/30s ISO 2500

Michiel Schierbeek

York Way, King's Cross, London - 2007 vs 2014. The top photograph was taken with a Leica M8 but I am not sure which lens - possibly a 35 lux or 21 Elmarit. The bottom photograph was taken with a Sony A7 and a Voigtlander 21/1.8 Ultron.

A weird thing to recreate, I know but I used to stand on the small hill and observe the new Eurostar trains sweep around the recently completed track into St Pancras. Of course, in 2014 this view is now entirely blocked. And also note the change of bus to the new 'curvaceous' Routemaster.

It took three visits to recreate the photograph - strange obsession, eh? And perhaps a personal attempt at a 'decisive moment'.
Interesting to see how things can change in a city in such a short period of time! ( I preferred the cookie jar model bus )
Don't you love that VC Ultron 21 on the A7(r)?
It has become one of my favourite lenses on the A7r.

Forgot to correct the colour cast on the wide sides. Easy. Here you can see the difference.

biglouis

Michiel: damn!

Stop posting pictures using that 24-70. I thought it was supposed to be a dog of a lens according to the jury who have never used it?

Those reeds look almost 3-D. They are beautifully coloured and amazingly sharp. Well done!

And yes, the 21/1.8 is good but as I remarked elsewhere I am perturbed by the fixed lens hood. I also wonder how long it would survive if I acquired the 24-70?

Tashley: and even more beautiful examples using the 35 and 55. And people complain about the lack of lenses for the A7/r?????

LouisB

W.Utsch

Louis,

the 24/70 is definitely not a dog!
The weak points are the corners at 24, but not always you need 24 and or sharp corners. 4/5th of the frame are very sharp with very high contrast in the total range. It is a zoom of course i.e. compromise. That means it has advantages as well.

Best regards
Werner

Tim, great BW's

biglouis

Louis,

the 24/70 is definitely not a dog!
The weak points are the corners at 24, but not always you need 24 and or sharp corners. 4/5th of the frame are very sharp with very high contrast in the total range. It is a zoom of course i.e. compromise. That means it has advantages as well.

Best regards
Werner

Werner, apologies I got you and Michiel mixed up in my original response. I was originally going to wait to get the A7 when the 24-70 was available but then I caved.

I must not cave again too soon or I will have to sell my soul to the credit card company!

LouisB

biglouis

"Take up our quarrel with the foe"

A weird experience today wandering through a particularly ugly part of the Camden/King's Cross area. I came across this brick utility cabinet and noticed on the side that someone has stencilled the last verse of one of the most famous poems of the first world war by the Canadian, John McRae. Written after the particularly devastating second battle of Ypres (there were to be three more before the end of the war) this is a poignant moment in a sea of urban blight to remind us of how lucky we are.

PS This is the beautiful FE 55/1.8 at f2

D

Deleted member 7792

...this is a poignant moment in a sea of urban blight to remind us of how lucky we are.
True. And having a brick utility cabinet is special, too! Not too many of those in the urban US, adorned with poetry or otherwise.

Joe

Godfrey

Too many great photos to comment on each. Michiel, Tim, et al ...

I wish I had more time to shoot, but right now my priorities are fixed on finishing this project I have for work. I'm not even going for my walk this morning so that I just concentrate on it. It must get out of my hair this weekend.

I'll pick the camera up again when I'm done with it.

G

nostatic

I hate hate hate traveling. But to make a buck...

At least this kept me entertained during a 4 hour layover at DFW, then getting to an overbooked hotel in Hunstville and sent back to HSV.

scho

Checking out the 180mm f/2.8 Contax (C/Y) + 1.4X Mutar II on the A7R.

BSEH

New Kid on The Block - trying my new Leica R 100 APO, but weather here is one big softbox, so just tasting. On A7R wide open (2.8). First is 50% crop. No PP, Raw open i LR5.

Same with the FE 55 1.8, on a sunny day. Open in C1 -

Not cropped -

tashley

Subscriber Member

I'm playing at 'one shot or lose it' today with complex setups, as if I were shooting sheet film and only had once chance. This was the A7R with Zeiss 21mm F2.8 ZF2, on a Novoflex adaptor using the tripod collar that came with it on a Cube/Gitzo setup and using a Hleiopan ND3 filter. 25 seconds at F about 5.6 and ISO 100, then some LR pp. The parts of the subject that aren't being buffeted by the wind are pin sharp...

Well, the thread is called 'fun with...' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.