The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_driscoll

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

Sorry...I forgot the cat. :worthless:

A7, 35mm f/2.8, 1/60s @ f/2.8, ISO 800

Cheers, Matt

ps. always wanted to insert that emoticon!

jonoslack

Two from today.

Matty

Garlick and lemon​

Both with the 28-70 kit lens - my copy really is really really good.

jonoslack

Path Photography

Wookie Fight​

Again with the 28-70 kit lens - Silver Efex Pro

fotografz

Everyone … you folks are making this kit sing! Kudos!

Jono, great shots … did you have to try a bunch of 24-70s to get the "really, really good one" … or did you score one the first time out of the box?

- Marc

jonoslack

Everyone … you folks are making this kit sing! Kudos!

Jono, great shots … did you have to try a bunch of 24-70s to get the "really, really good one" … or did you score one the first time out of the box?

- Marc
Thank you Marc

Actually - those are from the 28-70 - my 24-70 should be coming next week (together with the 55)........

But my cheapo 28-70 IS really excellent - it's sharp right out to the corners on both sides right from 28 f3.5 up to 70 f5.6. Whether it would seem so good on the A7r I don't know (because I don't have one!).

all the best

jaree

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Thanks Rurouni. I shoot RAW with exposure set to +0.7 or +1.0.

Attached are the typical LightRoom settings I used for A7's night shots. Minimal luminance NR if needed. Note that there is a lot of room to further improve the tone and highlights (I am lazy so I left it at that).

Export for screen, sharpness high.

View attachment 80318

gandolfi

Subscriber Member

Just a hurried note to say thank you for the 'humour' likes.
:worthless:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

Thank you Marc

Actually - those are from the 28-70 - my 24-70 should be coming next week (together with the 55)........

But my cheapo 28-70 IS really excellent - it's sharp right out to the corners on both sides right from 28 f3.5 up to 70 f5.6. Whether it would seem so good on the A7r I don't know (because I don't have one!).

all the best
Looks like a nice copy

Rurouni

Re: Fun With Sony _____

Thanks Jaree, much appreciated! Seldom shoot night landscapes so will keep those processing parameters in mind.

They really have a nice look. Like slide film crossed with the 'cleanness' of a digital file =)

f 10

Yeah, Guy, in Holland we wouldn't dare this. ......
You do have in the Netherlands really bold, colorful, flashy and modern buildings. Whenever I drive in Holland along the highway, I am enjoying all the commercial buildings for use anywhere ...... and we are often in the Netherlands.

Ben Rubinstein

The whole collection of FD lenses seem to work very well on my A7R too. The 20mm f/2.8 is very nice indeed!
Do you have any raws from the 20mm by any chance? Fred Miranda has started singing its praises and I'm quite interested. I've sold the OM 21mm because I wasn't impressed with the corners and am looking for a replacement. Will probably end up with the Zeiss 18mm or whatever Sony bring out but if I can save money I'll be happy to buy the FD lens.

Ben Rubinstein

I was never very fond of the A-1 (or most Canons, frankly) but it's about the same size as my favorite Nikon FM/FM2n/FE2 and a little smaller than the F/F2/F3. I never liked any of the pro-line Nikon SLRs when they passed the F3 ... they always felt bloated and over-much to me.

And while the A7 is not that much smaller than the Leicaflex SL, it is probably a quarter the weight. I thought the Nikon F with meter head was a brick ...! :) But I love the Leicaflex SL too.

G
My first SLR ever was an AE-1 with a broken meter that I found in the attics of the 1 hour lab I was managing after I left the army. I had a few lenses already when I traded up to a somewhat brassed A1 from a very successful NY wedding photographer who was retired prematurely due to disability (MS I think). My photographic mentor who I met a year later was a Nikon man but you usually end up sticking to the system you start with don't you? This Sony A7r was my first move from Canon since that first AE-1, not counting MF and LF of course.

cunim

A7r, FE55, polar vortex
The road to the end is drear and cold, and we stand naked who point the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.