The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

HI Tim
Lovely light isn't it - no rolling countryside here, but we do still have the light.

I think I like the first one best - surprised that you're shooting with the 28-70 when you have the 24-70? Is there anything it does better?
No, nothing - though it's way better at close range than it is at distance. Check your e-mail for some shocking RAWs!

dunders

Subscriber Member

I was visiting some old friends in the deep South (Castletown) the other day, and took the opprtunity to play with the Zenitar 2.8/16, the Pentax 1.8/31Ltd, the Elmar 4/135 and the Vario-Elmar 3.5/35-70. All seem to play nicely with the A7r.

(Later) When I tried upload the pics I discovered that I've run out of storage, so I'm waiting to organise a subscription. The pics can be viewed here:

for GetDPI - a set on Flickr

C&C always welcome!

tashley

Subscriber Member

Nothing yet - my little darling lens is okay at a distance too.
. . .
Hmm, I sent it an hour ago and it hasn't bounced back..

Here's the skinny:

I did some comparative shots and here’s what I found:

At closer ranges, mine is a tad worse than yours - possibly something to do with the difference in cameras. Very good on centre, a bit less good than yours at edges and corners and with a slight asymmetry that rotates round the frame as you zoom.

Additionally it needs higher shutter speeds than the 24-70 in order to have no blur from the shutter.

But here are some links to RAW files, not all shot at exactly the same time but two frames are (35mm vs EF 35mm f2.8) and two sets are the same scene shot on consecutive days at close to the same time. Ignore the time of day, it's still set to holiday time, they were shot around 5pm.

They show that on centre the IQ is similar between the 24-70 and the 28-70 but that the rest of the frame at distance is just a horrible mess on the 28-70 in comparison. Looks like the lens can do close up fairly reasonably but not landscape, at least on the A7R…

I may keep it though: it strikes me that with a 10 stop ND filter and some moving subjects, it might give a nice dreamy look. I might even get one of my bodies adapted for IR!

Links to RAW files:

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g615410888-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=WaWnvu-ntrMiZzp8ZULPiRKbJcdrIAt7IS1ItEUiUXs=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g931904543-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=tIXINXCMlxMgWTYT8X7FKQU7RIs_g9TwXGHYTVa7sq8=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g767338771-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=LKG9KC6k_Uj1znpq6gEWsoAjqkee4R6W5DqZNfVTOqE=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g550942826-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=K1vLi1woBr7WwAIJs08uy3lu6vZj8ul0-h0y2CMTREY=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g659187852-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=Hp5CQxPPyp0tC_Yq_AhgcFy9DNmXjGurV19FHtSDWiI=

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/g865115639-o374332360.dat?dl=2&tk=FSiAcwFadHmOAZvykLwQ4w2XsLsJ8CWSm-T9y3cydrY=

Godfrey

I was visiting some old friends in the deep South (Castletown) the other day, and took the opprtunity to play with the Zenitar 2.8/16, the Pentax 1.8/31Ltd, the Elmar 4/135 and the Vario-Elmar 3.5/35-70. All seem to play nicely with the A7r.

(Later) When I tried upload the pics I discovered that I've run out of storage, so I'm waiting to organise a subscription. The pics can be viewed here:

Nice! I forgot you had one of the Zenitar 16mm lenses. :)

G

dchew

C&C always welcome!
Great stuff there! I admire you guys that can make an extreme wide angle sing.

Dave

philip_pj

more street with the FE55. The young woman, a beggar, is looking intently at the bribe I am about to give her for in return to letting me take her photograph.

m_driscoll

Dallas, Texas.

A7, 55mm f/1.8, 1/1000s @ f/3.2, ISO 100

A7, 28-70mm, 28mm, 1/1250s @ f/3.5, ISO 100

A7, 28-70mm, 66mm, 1/320s @ f/5.6, ISO 100

A7, 28-70mm, 28mm, 1/320s @ f/3.5, ISO 100

A7, 28-70mm, 70mm, 1/80s @ f/5.6, ISO 100

Cheers, Matt

Godfrey

As usual, a bunch of great new photos to look through here.

Not much shooting for me today other than some testing of the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 series I. I put it on the tripod and shot several highly detailed subjects and examined corner to corner results.

Overall, very pleasing indeed. There's a bit of mustache distortion present all the time. A bit of corner darkening and softness when wide open that reduces with each stop down. The best f/stop seems to be between f/5.6 and f/8 on this one, with most of the corner darkening gone and good detailing right into the corners. No smearing to be seen (yay!).

It's rendering qualities are different from the Nikkor 18mm. Both are very very good. The Elmarit-R has an open, airy feel to its rendering; the Nikkor's look is somehow denser and deeper. I didn't shoot the same subjects with them side by side yet, but that's going to be an interesting test. The Nikkor has less rectilinear distortion and it seems simple distortion.

Can't wait to do more shooting with both of these gems. I'm very happy with them.

G

W.Utsch

That one is an experiment with FE55 and Sigma AML 2 closeup lens. Wide open it is hard to get any sharpness but it gets very dreamy. If you stop down the combo works quite good.

tashley

Subscriber Member

If someone had said to me a year ago that I'd soon own a camera and lens combo that I could walk several miles with and barely notice I was carrying it and yet which could effortlessly produce 36mp files of this quality, I would have found it hard to believe...

Full sized JPEG here

Status
Not open for further replies.