The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

A7r, Pentax Tak Super 35mm f2 @ f11

Had this shoot in mind for 7 months, finally got around to doing it with the help of my students four of whom are modelling here. Most complex lighting I've ever attempted (6 lights + smoke machine + sound trigger), I'm a (ex) wedding photographer not a studio shooter so was pushing my skill envelope. Was fun.

tashley

Subscriber Member

A little nostalgic feel today as I finally sold all my other camera gear (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica's already gone) and threw my lot firmly in with nothing but Sony...

(OK I did keep the IQ 180/Alpa/Rdoenstock. And buy a Canon TSE 24mm...)

mjm6

A little nostalgic feel today as I finally sold all my other camera gear (Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Leica's already gone) and threw my lot firmly in with nothing but Sony...

Looks a little like a salt print or an albumin print... Nice. Silver EFEX I presume?

I'm about to sell the M9 myself... struggling with the lenses though, I really don't want to part with them!

And, I can't believe it, but I will probably get both the 17mm and 24mm TS Canons. I had the 24m back when I shot Canon, but the 17 appears to be a real revelation.

---Michael

tashley

Subscriber Member

Looks a little like a salt print or an albumin print... Nice. Silver EFEX I presume?

I'm about to sell the M9 myself... struggling with the lenses though, I really don't want to part with them!

And, I can't believe it, but I will probably get both the 17mm and 24mm TS Canons. I had the 24m back when I shot Canon, but the 17 appears to be a real revelation.

---Michael
Hi Michael,

It went through Silver Effex and a couple of other secret brew steps - such that I'm sure I couldn't replicate it if I wanted to!

My 24mm TSE seems like a dud - I only had a chance for a few shots before dusk but it looks very soft on one side with all movements centred. The Curse of Tashley strikes again!

Godfrey

Brilliant photo, Tim. Very lovely.

I think the gear sale is going to happen here too. I'll keep the A7 and E-M1, and a small selection of my film cameras. The A7 has worked out even better than I'd hoped, and I love these Leica R lenses. I can't quite bring myself to letting go of the E-M1 yet, but I haven't touched anything else in a while.

G

tashley

Subscriber Member

Thanks chaps! Godfrey, my E-M1 and 12-40 went today as well... I have truly become Sony Borg....

Quentin_Bargate

Great shot, Tim. I still have far too many cameras and stuff lying around unused. My happiest photographic excursion was to Morocco with just a Sigma DP2m and DP1m. Cleared away all the indecision about lens and camera choice. Less clutter = better shots.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Less clutter = better shots.
Thanks Quentin, that's really what I'm finding. Having a tiny backpack with a great camera, great zoom and two world class primes in it and nothing else to distract is a real eye opener, literally and metaphorically...

D&A

Tim, truly unique, especially in today's world of digital imagery. I'm generally not a big fan of excessive digital post processing manipulation. Reminds me of days of yore when film and creative darkroom techniques ruled the world of photography and one could spend hours experimenting with developers and hand manipulation. A wonderful addition to some of your best posted images

Dave (D&A)

mAlKhamis

Great shots every one, big well done !

I’ve just got my sony Alpha 7R as my Valentine gift from my most amazing Wife :D (ya she loves me so much), but without any sony lenses, and as a Leica guy, its naturally for me to buy the Nnovoflex adapter to attach my Leica lenses on this little beast !
Here are just few from my 6 weeks experience with the A7R and Leica 50mm and 28mm cron lenses.

Sea Lions by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Between the roots by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Color Fighter by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Picture me by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Color anticipation by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Color winner by M.ALKHAMIS, on Flickr

Last edited:

W.Utsch

Funny, just had this one processed in an "Old Postcard" style when Tim posted his "old" image:

Florence, the banks of river Arno

Don Libby

Went out this morning, Sandy armed with her 7r and I with my DF/IQ.

Sony A7r FE24-70 (70mm) f/11 1/320 ISO 50

jonoslack

Thanks Quentin, that's really what I'm finding. Having a tiny backpack with a great camera, great zoom and two world class primes in it and nothing else to distract is a real eye opener, literally and metaphorically...
Quentin, Tim, couldn't agree more - I've just spent a few days in the mountains, mostly just with an m and a 28mm lens - you relax into it and forget there is anything else . . . . . . . I just haven't made that leap you've made Tim. not yet!

f/otographer

Here is one of the shots from my previous outing with the Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2. It didnt make the original cut since while I liked it there were clearly bettter photos from the outing.

What finally made me post it is the fact that it is a clear representation of the Biotar exhibiting 'Nisen', or broken bokeh. Instead of the tip of the plants being rendered into a single smooth piece you can clearly see it seperated into two seperate plant tips. Definitely nisen.

But who cares. I love this old lens. :)

tashley

Subscriber Member

Nisen happens sometimes with the FE 55 1.8 and often with the FE 35 F2.8 - not a look I like too much, but it looks nice in your shot!

Godfrey

Here is one of the shots from my previous outing with the Zeiss Jena Biotar 58/2. It didnt make the original cut since while I liked it there were clearly bettter photos from the outing.

What finally made me post it is the fact that it is a clear representation of the Biotar exhibiting 'Nisen', or broken bokeh. Instead of the tip of the plants being rendered into a single smooth piece you can clearly see it seperated into two seperate plant tips. Definitely nisen.

But who cares. I love this old lens. :)

That's pretty cool! I should pull out my RoBot II Zeiss 40mm f/2 Biotar and see how it works on the A7...

m_driscoll

Killing some time...walking around in Seattle's Fremont neighborhood.

A7, 55mm f/1.8, 1/250s @ f/1.8, ISO 3200

A7, 55mm f/1.8, 1/250s @ f/1.8, ISO 3200

A7, 55mm f/2, 1/250s @ f/1.8, ISO 3200

Cheers, Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.