The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Re: Fun with the Sony A7 and A7r series

A last one for the weekend. Busy week ahead.

Sony A7 + Summicron-R 35mm f/2

Thanks for looking. Comments always appreciated.

Michiel Schierbeek

neelin; The numbered apeture ring opens the aperture said:
Lots of old lenses have that diafragma preset possibility. Can be quiet handy on digital cams.

Some more with this oldy.
This lens does have a crazy glow.

Barry Haines

Indeed no Barry. They are basking in glorious sunshine at our other home in Norfolk, where the rainfall is less than half of that in Cornwall!
Crikey!...basking in glorious sunshine and less than half the rainfall! That sounds like utter heaven.
We recently sold off our other property (also in Cornwall), strangely though the weather seemed identical to what we were already getting ;)
If you fancy a cuppa, you are most welcome to drop in.

Annna T

Spring 2014
A7R with LAEA3 and Tamron 28-75 F2.8
Regards,
John

Interesting ! I own that lens too : it is very sharp on my Canon FF and the smallest FF std zoom you can get with such a fast constant aperture. It is the first third party lens I ever bought (after reading a good review in a magazine) and it remained fitted on my first DSLR, the Canon D60, until I got a 5D.

How does it perform on the A7r and which adapter are you using with it ? The Metabones smart adapter won't AF it, but is there another adapter able to adjust the aperture blades of the lens itself ?

I think that given the small weight and size of this lens it should fit very well on the A7/7r bodies, provided one can adjust the aperture.

BTW, there is like a green cast on your (nice) picture : is it a coloring due to the lens, or was it intentional ? Usually snow landscapes tend to exhibit a blue or magenta/blue cast.

Edit : Sorry, I should have read the legend : you got it in a Sony mount, so you don't need any weird adapter.

J

JohnW

This will likely be my final A7 post. I'm returning the camera. The file quality, as we all know, is wonderful and not easy to part with. But the camera just feels unrefined to me and not one I can see myself committing to for the next few years. I guess it's a case of like but not love. I'll certainly keep enjoying the fine pictures posted in this thread.

John

Godfrey

This will likely be my final A7 post. I'm returning the camera. The file quality, as we all know, is wonderful and not easy to part with. But the camera just feels unrefined to me and not one I can see myself committing to for the next few years. I guess it's a case of like but not love. I'll certainly keep enjoying the fine pictures posted in this thread.
Like the angle and reflections in that one. :)

Yes, the A7/A7r are clunky things. I can only just make the A7 work acceptably for me. However, the excellent sensor and viewfinder, and its compatibility with my Nikkor and Leica R lenses, override the clunkiness for me. I haven't found anything else I can use the Leica R lenses with in particular that works any better—other than the Leicaflex SL itself.

I have little faith in Sony's ability to develop any given line, however I can hope. A more refined A8 series would be nice. But the A7/A7r are good enough for my specific purposes to keep. (I'm not letting go of the Olympus E-M1 either... ;-)

G

jfirneno

Interesting ! I own that lens too : it is very sharp on my Canon FF and the smallest FF std zoom you can get with such a fast constant aperture. It is the first third party lens I ever bought (after reading a good review in a magazine) and it remained fitted on my first DSLR, the Canon D60, until I got a 5D.

How does it perform on the A7r and which adapter are you using with it ? The Metabones smart adapter won't AF it, but is there another adapter able to adjust the aperture blades of the lens itself ?

I think that given the small weight and size of this lens it should fit very well on the A7/7r bodies, provided one can adjust the aperture.

BTW, there is like a green cast on your (nice) picture : is it a coloring due to the lens, or was it intentional ? Usually snow landscapes tend to exhibit a blue or magenta/blue cast.

Edit : Sorry, I should have read the legend : you got it in a Sony mount, so you don't need any weird adapter.
Hi Anna:

As far as the Tamron, it's pretty good. Not an epic lens but pretty nice for walking around. With the LAEA3 (or LAEA4 if you want AF) it isn't too large and it's very inexpensive and I actually like some of the pictures I've taken walking around in Manhattan on a sunny day with it. I'll call it my walking around in the park on a sunny day lens.

Next to address the greenish cast. I believe I caused that in Lightroom. This picture although appealing to me in composition needed quite a bit of adjustment (exposure, shadows). I probably caused the cast by fiddling too much. And now for my secret shame ... I am probably one of the most profoundly green color blind men on the planet. When I look at a stop light it looks white to me. I usually annoy my wife into checking for green (and to a lesser extent red) anomalies in my photos. I really should switch to black and white but I cling to my love of my own pseudo-colors with a hard to justify fervor. Ah well.
Best regards,
John

Knorp

:OT:
Olympus has updated the firmware for its flagship mirrorless camera, the OM-D E-M1, adding a mode that's designed to eliminate image blurring due to 'shutter shock' by using an electronic first curtain at speeds below 1/320sec.
The shutter is held open during normal live view, and when the shutter button is pressed it closes so the sensor can be reset, then quickly opens again to make the exposure. This process has been blamed for sometimes introducing slight image blurring across a specific range of shutter speeds (usually around 1/60-1/250sec).
Who's next ?

:watch:

Kind regards.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Jono and I have temporarily swapped my second A7R for his A7. I have never shot an A7 but will get Jono's tomorrow and am really looking forward to it! Who knows, the swap may become permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.