The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annna T

Hi Seb, had the same problem...I sent a PM to Michiel who kindly got back to me :)
+
I emailed voordekunst [email protected] last night my delivery address - Alyssa at voordekunst just got back to me, saying she has added those details now to my donation :clap:
Cheers Barry
Once you have subscribed and are logged in, look at the top right of the home page, there is a blue cup in a little rounded button; if you click on it, there is a small drop down menu; look for a line named "profiel" and click on it. Then you will be able to add your address (there are boxes for different aspects of your profile, including one for your address). It will be empty, so click on the pen at the top right of the address box and fill in your address. I put everything on the first line because the (Dutch) content of the other lines wasn't very clear.

I participated early, when Michiel shared the info in Facebook a few weeks ago. Hopefully he will be able to get the amount needed. I hold my thumbs, because I really hope to get that book. :) :thumbup:

Last edited:
V

Vivek

I assumed they will know my address since I paid with paypal.

(I did not subscribe or log in)

Annna T

I assumed they will know my address since I paid with paypal.

(I did not subscribe or log in)
If i remember correctly I used PayPal to participate too. But i checked yesterday and found that I hadn't given my address either, so I filled it. Two securities are better than one !
But if I remember correctly, you said you would pick the book on the spot, so they probably don't need your address.

seb

If i remember correctly I used PayPal to participate too. But i checked yesterday and found that I hadn't given my address either, so I filled it. Two securities are better than one !
But if I remember correctly, you said you would pick the book on the spot, so they probably don't need your address.
Hi Annna nice to "see" you. :)

Michiel wrote me a Mail today. He receive the mail-adress from voordekunst and asked me for the delivery-adress.
(I did also not subscribed, logged in and did also not paid an additional 2.5€) :bugeyes:

nsng

Lake Baikal, Siberai. A7r2 w/ Leica 19mm Elmarit-R, WATE and Leica 35-70 Vario-Elmar

Lake Baikal, located in Sibera is the largest fresh water lake in the world and holds about 20% of the world's freshwater. At just over 1,600m. and 25 million years old it is also the worlds deepest and oldest lake. In winter, the lake is frozen solid and it is this unique landscape I went to photograph. Here are a few images,

Jan

Anyone here going to go for one of the new A9 models ?
I sure won't be.
I am currently Sony-less (or Minolta-less as I continue calling the brand) but for sure the A9 will not be considered. An A7r2 with the G 24-70 zoom is something I am eyeing on but only if I can move my Leica m-p 240. Any takers? :D

V

Vivek

I expect a lower specd and lower priced version (A7 II successor?) with this sensor in the near future.

Slingers

I just realized looking at old photos I have been using only Sony E mount cameras for 5 years now. Here is a shot from the easter break.

A7S + FE 35/2.8

Barry Haines

Gunmen

A7 + Heliar 40/2.8
Pieter, are they fitting that old Cannon tele out with a new E mount adapter, I guess it has radioactive glass, hence the suits :D

First of all a very big thanks to all the guys over at FM for all the great information regarding adding a front end filter to the ZM 35mm Distagon to help cure corner smearing caused by the sensor cover glass plate....Brilliant combined work on everybody's behalf :)

My Opto Sigma correction glass (SLB-50-5000PM) eventually turned up the other day for my ZM 35mm Distagon...I tried a bunch of step up and step down filter rings to find what worked the best to house the glass, whilst checking continuously for any signs of vignetting.

A 49mm step up to 55mm > then a 55mm step down to 52mm > then the Opto Sigma glass held in place with a 52mm retention ring taken from a cheap 52mm UV filter > then a 52mm step up to 58mm filter ring which acts as a shallow hood and also allows a lens cap now to be easily attached ...This worked the best for me....I used a rubber O ring to centre the OS glass within the filter itself, this was awkward to fit and took me several hours! I opted for the convex side of the Opto Sigma glass to be facing in towards the camera rather than outwards.

I tested this with and without the filter above attached at various apertures...The difference was like night and day....The filter is DEFINITELY the way to go if you want improved corners with the ZM.

The downside is that with the OS glass attached it wouldn't allow the lens to focus all the way to infinity :( - I tested this with my 4 Leica M to E mount adapters (Novoflex, Yeenon close-up, Voigtlander close-up and a cheap knock off pseudo Hawkes close-up adapter) none of these allowed the lens to focus to infinity.
I therefore had to unscrew the 4 screws on the Leica M mount to get at the shims (This might possibly void the Zeiss warranty as screws are loctited in place).
With the rear M mount now removed I had 4 shims just behind the M mount ZM lens.

2 x thick gold shims
1 x medium silver shim
1 x thin bronze shim

(Note I had different shims inside my lens as opposed to what Bastian K had inside his ZM 35mm Distagon).

I tried various combinations by removing different shims one at a time and reassembling the lens and retesting @ F1.4 for infinity over and over again...on the 4th attempt success! :) I found that just removing 1 gold shim with my version of this lens, it now focused as near to infinity as you could possibly hope for.

I then retested for vignetting and DoF tests at various apertures and all works great :)...The Zeiss hood will not fit this particular set up BTW...(Note to Teera...Sadly I couldn't find anybody here in Cornwall prepared to grind this 50mm diameter OS glass to fit a 49mm filter ring).

IMO the Zeiss ZM 35mm Distagon is now equal and may possibly be a tad better IQ wise than my Sony 35mm FE Distagon...before the conversion was carried out I thought that my Sony had better IQ for stopped down landscape work...

The Zeiss ZM has better cooler more neutral colours than the warmer Sony FE lens.
I feel the ZM is a true 35mm FL lens (Before conversion) and the Sony is very slightly wider angled.
The ZM 35mm Distagon (including OS glass filter rings and front and rear caps shown) Vs. Sony 35mm Distagon (including B+W thin clear filter, hood and front and rear caps shown) I measured to be 174g lighter in favour of the ZM.
The ZM is much smaller and has a lovely solid feel to it...Manual focusing is buttery smooth and a joy to use.
Both lenses have a superb wide open OoF rendering.
The Sony has less vignetting and provides exif data information unlike the ZM lens does.

Bottom line in terms of IQ - If you don't want to go through all the hassle of the conversion above (i.e. making up a filter and shim removal) then go with the Sony AF and save yourself a load of money and aggro.
If you can be bothered carrying out the conversion above then I think you won't regret going via the ZM route, especially if you prefer manual focus lenses.

I hope that helps anybody interested in getting either of these two great lenses.

Cheers Barry

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7792

I sure won't be.
I won't be either. My a7RII is doing very well. I am interested, as an admitted early adopter, in the next iteration of the a7Rxx lineup. The design cues from Sony's recent cameras have given us some hints as to what's possible. I'd welcome faster AF, an improved menu tree, a joystick to move AF points, etc., all of which have been incorporated into Sony's latest cameras. Exciting times.

Joe

Barry Haines

I sure won't be.
Hi Ute, I won't be either....Happy enough still for now with my A7RII.

Barry, Any idea on the true FL after the add on? Is it more like 40mm?
Hi Vivek, In all honesty I could only hazard at a guess but I wouldn't say it was as much as a 40mm FL lens...sorry for being a bit vague.

I took a few shots (See below) with the ZM35D tonight over in Liskeard and I could see instantly that the lens now performs so much better than it did before...Extemely happy with this lens now after the conversion.

Last edited:

Slingers

Vivek, I believe the weaker 5m PCX doesnt move the focal length by much. I have the 1.5m PCX for my contax g lenses and it does move the focal length by 1-2mm.

Here are some more from easter with the FE 35/2.8

Status
Not open for further replies.