The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Haines

Barry . I love number two . :thumbup:
Thank you Jürgen, my favourite of the 3 also :)

Hi there Barry, just out of curiosity: why iso 50 for the 85mm here ?
TIA
Best regards.
Hi Bart, no particular reason other that I have recently returned to using iso 50 (as a general rule) as my iso default setting, that's if the light permits me to...I post checked the movement in the reflection with those two 85mm GM iso 50 images and was more or less happy with the way they turned out, no real need I felt for a faster shutter speed and faster iso setting to freeze the reflection any further.

I perceive with my A7R/A7RII cameras at 100% pixel peeping just a tad less noise at iso 50 than at iso 100 but then I'm not anal about ETT(extreme)R to the very point of clipping that is, I normally back off a very tiny bit of the histogram, so the base iso 100 of these cameras is probably not applicable to me if you get my drift.

Knorp

Some ships as seen in IJmuiden ...

The Voigtländer MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm F2 Aspherical seems to be popular these days ... :grin:

Knorp

Some detail shots from the Christian Radich (Oslo, Norway) ...

Voigtländer MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm F2 Aspherical

Barry Haines

The Voigtländer MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm F2 Aspherical seems to be popular these days ... :grin:
Bart, congratulations on getting your new CV65mm lens...I hope you are enjoying it :)

I followed this cloud around for a while, until I could find something with a suitable reflection to align with it below - Reflected Cloud II - CV65mm

Pradeep

Terracotta Warriors, Xi'an, China
A7S, SEL70200G

Great Photos. Love the second one.

I was there perhaps two days after you. We also did the pandas in Chengdu and a few other places. Were you with the big Aussie group (there were several) with Wendy Wu tours?

Here is my interpretation from Pit 2 - the lighting was terrible here as you know. It is a helluva job they've done bringing all these figures to life.

Also a few Panda photos, again, bad light and rain. The last one was taken through a glass panel, still OK for documentation.

All taken with the A9 and the 100-400 GM, terrific lens.

Knorp

Bart, congratulations on getting your new CV65mm lens...I hope you are enjoying it :)

thanks, I have to say after two short outings this weekend, I'm mighty pleased.
Of course your shots already showed what it can do, but still I'm really surprised how good it is at rendering light and colour (lovely) and not to forget its bokeh.
And then there is this sharpness ... just amazing.

Traded-in my Pentax DA*50-135/2.8, unused since my Pentax K5sII was stolen in 2014, so got a good deal off the list price.

The metal construction feels solid, focussing is smooth and well damped. As it is a macro lens the barrel extents quite a bit when getting close.
One minus perhaps is the diameter of the barrel that is so wide it comes in very close proximity to your fingers.

Still, all-in-all, I'm a happy camper ... :)

Kind regards.

Barry Haines

Hi there Barry,

thanks, I have to say after two short outings this weekend, I'm mighty pleased.
Of course your shots already showed what it can do, but still I'm really surprised how good it is at rendering light and colour (lovely) and not to forget its bokeh.
And then there is this sharpness ... just amazing.

Traded-in my Pentax DA*50-135/2.8, unused since my Pentax K5sII was stolen in 2014, so got a good deal off the list price.

The metal construction feels solid, focussing is smooth and well damped. As it is a macro lens the barrel extents quite a bit when getting close.
One minus perhaps is the diameter of the barrel that is so wide it comes in very close proximity to your fingers.

Still, all-in-all, I'm a happy camper ... :)

Kind regards.
Thank you Bart

I was very sorry to hear that you had a lot of your camera gear stolen a few years back...That's a truly annoying thing to happen, I really do hope you manage to recover it or at least some of it oneday and the police catch the culprit .
That makes perfect sense to trade in the Pentax 50-135mm lens for the CV65mm especially as you already have the wonderful Sigma 135mm ART lens...Two fantastic prime lenses IMHO.

Anyway I'm glad that you are enjoying your new lens, it's an easy lens to like with not to many cons, I certainly am enjoying mine and very happy.

I did find it interesting what you said about the barrel diameter and it's close proximity to your fingers...I have never read that anywhere else and it's also my main gripe with my chunky fingers. I find that the back of my right-hand middle finger is almost rubbing on the scalloped focus ring at times...I wonder if the space between the A9 grip and lets say a typical std. fast large diameter lens has been expanded outwards over the A7R and A7RII cameras grips...Perhaps K-H could chip in here as he has both cameras...some inside calipers should show if the clearance has been increased or not.

Cheers Barry

A few more images with the CV65mm
"Bike racks" + "In the shade" + "Duck Crossing"

Last edited:

Knorp

I did find it 2interesting what you said about the barrel diameter and it's close proximity to your fingers...I have never read that anywhere else and it's also my main gripe with my chunky fingers. I find that the back of my right-hand middle finger is almost rubbing on the scalloped focus ring at times...I wonder if the space between the A9 grip and lets say a typical std. fast large diameter lens has been expanded outwards over the A7R and A7RII cameras grips...Perhaps K-H could chip in here as he has both cameras...some inside calipers should show if the clearance has been increased or not.
I’m afraid there’s little improvement to be expected from the A9 over the A7RII irt grip clearance.
Compare: A9 to A7RII

Best regards.

Slingers

Great Photos. Love the second one.

I was there perhaps two days after you. We also did the pandas in Chengdu and a few other places. Were you with the big Aussie group (there were several) with Wendy Wu tours?

Here is my interpretation from Pit 2 - the lighting was terrible here as you know. It is a helluva job they've done bringing all these figures to life.

Also a few Panda photos, again, bad light and rain. The last one was taken through a glass panel, still OK for documentation.

All taken with the A9 and the 100-400 GM, terrific lens.

Thanks, Pradeep. I appreciate the comments. I was there for work and I was lucky to have a guide all to myself. I didn't have time to go anywhere else this time but will look into now going to the pandas for if I go again based on your fantastic shots.

Pradeep

Thanks, Pradeep. I appreciate the comments. I was there for work and I was lucky to have a guide all to myself. I didn't have time to go anywhere else this time but will look into now going to the pandas for if I go again based on your fantastic shots.
Hi Craig, didn't know you were there on business. My wife and I had gone with two other couples - close friends - as a small private tour with Wendy Wu, we saw many large groups of Aussies and Brits on tour, all of them under the WW flag, it was quite interesting.

The Pandas are great to watch and although the light was terrible and it was raining, it was the perfect weather for them and they were out in the open instead of sleeping inside.

If I do ever go again, I would love to spend more time in Xian, we had only one evening there and left the next morning straight after the terra cotta warrior viewing. It is a wonderful city, seems quite unlike the rest of China in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.