The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vivek

Carl, You can use the WB target on your way for UV captures. :)

Try an old 50/1.8 AI rather than the micro nikkor (poor UV transmission) or better an old Tessar, Elmar and the like.

scho

Carl, You can use the WB target on your way for UV captures. :)

Try an old 50/1.8 AI rather than the micro nikkor (poor UV transmission) or better an old Tessar, Elmar and the like.
Thanks Vivek. I have both an old Contax Tessar and a MF Nikon 50/1.8 E that I'll try as well. How do the old Minolta 28 and 40 M mount lenses do with UV transmission?

seb

Switzerland has a governmental department to monitor dangerous rocks, slopes and mountains. But it's very difficult to forecast landslides. This summer 8 wanderer died because of a landslide in a valley close to the village Bondo. The village itself was evacuated for several weeks. The landslide on the pictures is from 2001. The village below called Felsberg has a long history with landslides. They even gave it up ones. But after a long time nothing happens, people tend to forget... Today there are new builded houses just about 100m away from the big rocks you can see on the pictures.

Bergsturz bei Felsberg
(a7RII + Sony Zeiss Sonnar 55/1.8 (first) and Sony 70-300 4.5/5.6 G OSS (rest))

Last edited:

scho

Trying the old M-Rokkor 40/2 (thanks Vivek for the lens recommendation) with Kolari UV Bandpass filter on the Sony A7r-FS. Couple of selfies wearing UV block eyeglasses and with and without sunscreen dabs on face. My dermatologist will have a field day spraying sun damage actinic lesions with liquid nitrogen :toocool:

seb

Picked the lens yesterday after work and cycled directly up the hill to get the last sunrays. After that I didn't had any time to look after more.

But after the few shots I made I can copy what others already found out about the lens:

At f1.2 it is ok in the center and gets soft towards the corners (2nd pic). There is also some heavy chromatic abberation with fast aperture. Sharpness, chromatic abberation and midframe softness are already much better at f1.7 and is almoust gone at f2.8 (3rd and 4th). f2.8 has already nice sunstars and coma is gone too. With f4.5 and slower it is sharp from corner to corner (the first one of my pictures is at f3.5 I had some motion blur on the f8 version and deleted it). The very last pixels of each corner are never crisp. But this is not noticable unless you zoom to 50%.

All that is referred to an subject at "infinity". I have the feeling that anything gets even better the closer the subject is. With the sweet spot at 1-2m. You can focus up to 35cm which is very cool with the fast apertures.

The lens itself has some field curvature and a heavy focus shift. Therefore it's good to focus on the correct f-stop and check DoF.

Color, transition, contrast are very nice. It reminds me on my voigtländer 12/5.6. I don't have any other.

It looks like the lens is great for portraits or isolation of subjects 0.5-3m away. If you stop down it's a very good landscape lens. Size and weight suits very well to the a7RII and handling is great too (hardstop works from f4 and higher for the whole frame. With faster aperture you have to handle the field curvature with a slight step back).

Happy? It's too early but I was waiting for a nice 40mm since I bought the a7 in 2013. And it looks like I have it now.

And sorry if the pictures are too saturated. I was just the mood to push them a little. :)

Those pictures with the new Nokton look pretty good, Seb.
I'd say, very nice OOF rendering, but what about the corners ?

Anyway, happy ?

pegelli

Hi seb, thanks for the write-up

My first Voigtlander was the Nokton 35/1.2 II and the way you describe the new 40/1.2 they seem to perform very similar.

So for me it doesn't make sense to get that one also, so for 40 mm I chose the Voigtlander Heliar 40/2.8. It's very small and collapsible so the camera/lens actually fits the pocket of my windbreaker. And the lens is sharp, nice rendering and little abberations, but that should be expected from a 2.8 lens.

Knorp

My first Voigtlander was the Nokton 35/1.2 II and the way you describe the new 40/1.2 they seem to perform very similar.

So for me it doesn't make sense to get that one also, so for 40 mm I chose the Voigtlander Heliar 40/2.8. It's very small and collapsible so the camera/lens actually fits the pocket of my windbreaker. And the lens is sharp, nice rendering and little abberations, but that should be expected from a 2.8 lens.
Still got the silver Mk.I Nokton 35/1.2, I should dust it off and give it run.

seb

You're picture "showing off" shows nicely what you have written. And beside that it's a very nice composition. Reminds me at kids in the sandbox. :clap:

The 40/2.8 was often in my mind but I wanted f1.8 at last, that's why I hesitated and now I'm happy with my latest purchase.

Unterer Letten
(a7RII + Voigtländer Nokton 40/1.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.