The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug

Thanks Doug for the terrific images.
What shooting settings are you using? TIA.
AF-C, Flexible expandable spot, single exposure, PD area visible, AF/MF button toggle, manual exposure, setting effect ON, ISO as low as I can manage (800 in this case IIRC). For flying birds I limit the focus range to infinity-3 meters.

Matt, Doug indicated the reasons why he made the switch in another thread. Michael Jordan nowadays would not be expected to be airborn.

As Doug explores the AF capabilities of his new set up, we also stand to learn.
Modernizing is one reason, in case of loss or damage I don't have to panic like I would with the 280 APO, I can just order a replacement ($$$$ permitting); the flexibility of a zoom is growing on me. I regard the lens as a 400mm f/5.6 that can adapt to a wider field of view when necessary. I've also realized that my reflexes, vision and dexterity ain't what they used to be and manual focus is becoming more difficult.

So far I'm finding the AF convenient and adequately accurate but not as precise as manual focus. I'm impressed by how well (usually) it will track a flying bird against a busy background assuming it locks on in the first place. The technique I'm using is to set the focus to infinity by focussing on a distant line of trees then follow the bird in the sky until it's close enough for the AF system to find it, then half-press the shutter when the center spot is on the bird. At this point it usually locks on and will track the bird quite well over most of the viewfinder and some part of the bird is generally in focus.

Optically the lens is quite good, and its apparent that C1 is automatically applying some digital correction (the default when C1 recognizes the lens is to correct for chromatic aberration, for example). It's not the mind-boggling image quality of the 280 APO, or maybe my mind has gotten over getting boggled, but so far I've found nothing to fault: image detail, contrast and color are quite good, zero weird bokeh effects, quick focus and effective OIS. It's a "keeper".

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The technique I'm using is to set the focus to infinity by focussing on a distant line of trees then follow the bird in the sky until it's close enough for the AF system to find it, then half-press the shutter when the center spot is on the bird. At this point it usually locks on and will track the bird quite well over most of the viewfinder and some part of the bird is generally in focus.
Doug,

Thank you. This is the kind of advice that I would be looking for if I were to try BIF.

Best,

Matt

Barry Haines

Nice effect Barry. Reminds me of my experiments with Kodalith in the darkroom.

Best regards,
Carl

Thank you Carl you are very kind, apologies for not answering you straight away last night but it was late here.

It's just one of those gimmicky Adobe Photoshop Filters (Filter>Stylize>Find Edges) that was all the rage when everybody switched to digital, it was overdone to death by everybody a bit like HDR treatment was a few years back, in the hope that it would turn a sow's ear into a silk purse (As I shall demonstrate below)...Strangely it's still popular in camera clubs here in the UK today...It's not really my cup of tea but I thought that particular image warranted that kind of treatment together with the classic linked youtube music from the 60's...just a bit of fun ;-)

Yes we are both darkroom workers from the past that used line/lith film together with Kodalith RT developer for a variety of different purposes (Neg masks and effects etc)...That Kodak high contrast developer was also very nice for making plucked Lith prints on Chloride and Chlorobromide papers, which I suspect that you have also played around with, thanks again...Cheers Barry

I stood my ground - CV65mm :D

pegelli

in the hope that it would turn a sow's ear into a silk purse
Hi Barry, you got me onto something. My wife and I have spent the past two years slowly fixing up an old house close to where we live with the objective to start an exhibition place there for young and/or amateur artists, who have a difficult time finding a space to show their work.

It's >95% finished now and we're planning to open in the course of April and were working on design for a leaflet and business cards. Originally we wanted a photo of the house on there but never was able to produce a good one. So far either the light was bad or there was a car parked in front :mad:

But your idea of using the "find edges" filter helped me to turn a sow's ear into a slightly prettier sow's ear (still far from a silk purse) and produced something that's usable for a start

A7 + Minolta 20/2.8

Comments and improvement suggestions welcome :)

seb

Haha, Barry is always an inspiration. Even then, when he wanted to tell us something different. :)

To your question: On my "find edge" picture a few posts below I turned the find edges result into a black and white, added some contrast with a curve layer and put the original picture as a "color" layer on top. It gives some color back like in a water painting.

On the other hand "find edge" can also be used to "enhance" contrasts:
b.jpga.jpg

The right one has some curve layers with "find edge" masks. Maybe this gives you another idea to process the image...

Did you tried to mask out the sign of the find edge effect?

Do you mind sharing the original? I would give it a try then.

pegelli

Did you tried to mask out the sign of the find edge effect?

Do you mind sharing the original? I would give it a try then.
Thanks SEB, no problem to try so here's the original.
Only the sign on the side is an essential element of the building, it's been hanging there for a long time and not only provides the name of the building (as we have given it) but also as a landmark so people can find it.

seb

Besides, I forgot to say in the other post. It's a wonderful project you and your wife started here. A lot of my friends (and also my wife) are reliable on cheap room for their work as creatives. They work hard but most time there is not much money left to pay the rents or paying places for an exhibition.
If there is something you need or I can help just write me a PM.

Thanks SEB, no problem to try so here's the original.
Here's my try:

Untitled-2.jpg

Have a good day, Sebastian

Edit: added some shadows

Last edited:

pegelli

Here's my try:
Thanks Sebastian, it looks very good and I especially like what you have done to the sky as well as that by masking the sign it's much better readable now. :thumbs:

I've already downloaded your version on my computer, and if you don't mind something very close to that will end up on our business card.

seb

Thanks Sebastian, it looks very good and I especially like what you have done to the sky as well as that by masking the sign it's much better readable now. :thumbs:

I've already downloaded your version on my computer, and if you don't mind something very close to that will end up on our business card.
it makes me very happy that you like it.

sure, I'll send you the tif tomorrow. then it's easier to copy parts of the idea. the sky and sign are complementary colors to the bricks.

V

Vivek

Modernizing is one reason, in case of loss or damage I don't have to panic like I would with the 280 APO, I can just order a replacement ($$$$ permitting); the flexibility of a zoom is growing on me. I regard the lens as a 400mm f/5.6 that can adapt to a wider field of view when necessary. I've also realized that my reflexes, vision and dexterity ain't what they used to be and manual focus is becoming more difficult.

So far I'm finding the AF convenient and adequately accurate but not as precise as manual focus. I'm impressed by how well (usually) it will track a flying bird against a busy background assuming it locks on in the first place. The technique I'm using is to set the focus to infinity by focussing on a distant line of trees then follow the bird in the sky until it's close enough for the AF system to find it, then half-press the shutter when the center spot is on the bird. At this point it usually locks on and will track the bird quite well over most of the viewfinder and some part of the bird is generally in focus.

Optically the lens is quite good, and its apparent that C1 is automatically applying some digital correction (the default when C1 recognizes the lens is to correct for chromatic aberration, for example). It's not the mind-boggling image quality of the 280 APO, or maybe my mind has gotten over getting boggled, but so far I've found nothing to fault: image detail, contrast and color are quite good, zero weird bokeh effects, quick focus and effective OIS. It's a "keeper".
Thanks, Doug! :)

Presumably there are unused/brand new lenses from the vaterland are still around (Dhruba has one unused lens for sale). Spare screws for repairs may be another story! ;)

Also, presumably, the RIII (and ofcousre the A9) have btter AF and tracking. Great to hear how you make use of the lesser abled RII.

Barry Haines

Hi Barry, you got me onto something. My wife and I have spent the past two years slowly fixing up an old house close to where we live with the objective to start an exhibition place there for young and/or amateur artists, who have a difficult time finding a space to show their work.
It's >95% finished now and we're planning to open in the course of April
What a fantastic project Pieter....You have my respect, it takes time and commitment to do what you and your wife are doing :)
Not enough people IMHO do a lot to help young struggling artists get started nowadays....I hope it all goes well for you both...Cheers Barry

The Blasted Oak - 21mm Distagon

Status
Not open for further replies.