The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeithDM

Suspension Bridge Tie - GM 85mm @ f/1.4
Marker Buoy - GM 85mm @ f/1.4
Lock-Up - GM 85mm @ f/5.6
Another cracking set of images! With regard to the 'Suspension Bridge Tie', I'm left wondering how it would be if the point of focus was the second or third tie rather than the first.

Barry Haines

Another cracking set of images! With regard to the 'Suspension Bridge Tie', I'm left wondering how it would be if the point of focus was the second or third tie rather than the first.

Thank you Keith for the very kind comment, most appreciated :)
I hear what you are saying Re: focus point and on reflection I wish I had tried it now, if only to show you the difference :)

In all honesty I have become pretty familiar now with the GM 85mm F1.4 on FF and how it compresses an image when focusing fairly close-up
I pretty much know instinctively where to stand/compose and how sharp an offset focus point can become when shooting wide open at F/1.4 on the 85mm.

The second and third (+ 4th, 5th etc...) bridge ties were all spaced at approximately 6ft equal intervals if my memory serves me correct...They don't look it because of the compression...but they were.
I could be wrong but I personally think that the shallow DoF (subject isolation effect) would have been kind of lost, had I focused yet another 12ft (3rd tie) or even 6ft (2nd tie) further out than the 1st bridge tie (85mm is not a very long telephoto lens on FF)...The trees in the background would now be starting to become into focus, which I was hoping to avoid...If I go back this way again, I shall try it, thank you :)

BTW. You live in a very nice part of the country...I'm assuming the Malmesbury area :)

Showery Tor and Rough Tor in the distance. 21mm Distagon

Barry Haines

You Tube (the early [stereoscopic] years).

Gandolfi, very funny but I think you will find THIS one is from the early years of You Tube :p :D
Stereo Ambrotype (6.75" x 3.25") I did a bit of research years ago, based upon what little I could gather from the previous owner and I think it's early Singapore.
The ambrotype was introduced in the 1850s. During the 1860s it was superseded by the tintype.

Ambrotypes can be found at Camera Fairs, ebay and at auction houses, most of which are normally portraits taken in a studio, outdoor scenes are considered generally more collectable as they are rarer to find and normally more interesting to look at from a historical point of view...Old stereo ambrotypes are even harder to find in any condition, although condition is important...Sadly this one is not in great condition but considering it's made from glass and could be around about 150 years old, I'm suprised it's survived at all!...I purchased it in the 80's from a member of "The Stereoscopic Society"...The 3D look is pretty amazing.
Copied with the Sony G 90mm macro

Ambrotypes https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambrotype

http://www.stereoscopicsociety.org.uk/WordPress/early-3d/

tofa

Midday under a clear sky is not the optimal photo taking time for me, but walking the dog around the lakes today I couldn't resist the simple pleasures of the clarity and colors.

doug

White-tailed Kite with breakfast
07 February 2018
Yolo County California
a7rII, FD 500mm f/4.5 L, extreme crop

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Gandolfi, very funny but I think you will find THIS one is from the early years of You Tube :p :D
Stereo Ambrotype (6.75" x 3.25")
Haha, Barry, yes, your Ambrotype is older.

Thanks for those links. All very interesting stuff, they were clever in those olden days!

My stereoscopic pics were in the window of an Antique/second hand (known as pre-owned nowadays!!) bookshop in Stroud. There are 71, from the 1890s mainly, all by D W Kilburn. He had a brother and they were the most prolific producers of stereo pics of their day.

You can look them up, and there are many of their pics at www.stereoscopicviews.com

Best wishes,

gandolfi.

KeithDM

Thank you Keith for the very kind comment, most appreciated :)

BTW. You live in a very nice part of the country...I'm assuming the Malmesbury area :)

Yes, not far from there. Judging by your uploads, your neck of the woods is far more interesting!

Barry Haines

Haha, Barry, yes, your Ambrotype is older.

Thanks for those links. All very interesting stuff, they were clever in those olden days!

My stereoscopic pics were in the window of an Antique/second hand (known as pre-owned nowadays!!) bookshop in Stroud. There are 71, from the 1890s mainly, all by D W Kilburn. He had a brother and they were the most prolific producers of stereo pics of their day.

You can look them up, and there are many of their pics at www.stereoscopicviews.com

Best wishes,

gandolfi.
gandolfi, you're most welcome :)
Indeed they were clever back then, imaginative also...We both like experimenting but sadly I feel it has all been done before but we have to keep on trying...don't we ;) :)
BTW - Thanks for the links, I will take a look in a minute...I hope your sale goes well...Cheers Barry

Hi
Do either of you stereo collectors have any J W Wilson's?
I have a friend who collects them.
Thanks
Very sorry Paul, I really can't help you I'm afraid...To be honest I never really got all that heavily involved in collecting.
My friend collected stereo daguerreotype's and showed me his collection...Wonderful they were too!...But expensive to collect.

Yes, not far from there. Judging by your uploads, your neck of the woods is far more interesting!
Thank you Keith, I know the Cotswold's are really lovely and the ancient history is just wonderful close by to you...You live in a magical area :)
I looked at your website and enjoyed your images very much, we both seem to have the same photographic tastes and similar photographic gear from the past
I love Avebury, Silbury Hill, the Ridgeway (Wayland Smithy), West Kennet Long Barrow, the Rollright Stones, the Manger at Uffington, you have lots of interesting things to photograph not all that far from you :)
I travel up and down Cornwall and sometimes into Devon, I'm always looking for something new to photograph but it has been a long while since I was last photographing in your neck of the woods...Cheers Barry

This one is from Exeter (Devon) by the quay from the other day...The Yellow Jersey - CV40mm F1.2

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
[QUOTE BTW - Thanks for the links, I will take a look in a minute...I hope your sale goes well...Cheers Barry[/QUOTE]

Barry, I can see how I probably gave the impression that I was selling those stereoscopic pics, but no I am not, I only saw them in a window.:facesmack:

KeithDM

Some more from Malaga, Spain. A7RII ZM25 2.8
Makes me impatient for our return to Spain in mid-Apr, although nothing like so far south as Malaga. We travel via Bilbao, Haro & Zaragoza to Oropesa del Mar (circa 100km N of Valencia).

Status
Not open for further replies.