The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwood

playing around with a rental a7r3 and FE 85 GM here, which is a pretty nice combo - maybe I haven't searched hard enough but I can't find a published (or rumored) Sony roadmap for additional GM primes. any of you folks seen anything?

Barry Haines

playing around with a rental a7r3 and FE 85 GM here, which is a pretty nice combo - maybe I haven't searched hard enough but I can't find a published (or rumored) Sony roadmap for additional GM primes. any of you folks seen anything?
Hi Doug, I think I read back awhile ago on SAR of rumors of a GM 135mm and 400mm lenses but I don't think we have anything official from Sony yet

Library of Birmingham (Sony 55mm) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Birmingham

pegelli

Earlier this week I visited the Verbeke Foundation in Kemzeke (Belgium).

It's a big collection of sculptures, buildings, art installations, paintings, collages etc. spread over a park outside as well as some very large greenhouses inside.
To be fair, there's some cool art to be seen there but some of the exhibits would not fall out of line in a scrap yard either :loco:

1: AR T MAKES FREE

A7 + Pentacon 29/2.8

2: Spiralling into a wormhole

NEX6 + E10-18/4

3: Inside a giant beehive

NEX6 + E10-18/4

4: Windowed wall

A7 + Heliar 40/2.8

5: Windowed house

NEX6 + E10-18/4

6: Cave hut

NEX6 + E10-18/4, LR stitch of 2 images

7: Squares 1

A7 + Heliar 40/2.8

8: Squares 2

NEX6 + E10-18/4

9: Stranded loco

A7 + Pentacon 29/2.8

10: Rusty railbus

A7 + Pentacon 29/2.8

dwood

Hi Doug, I think I read back awhile ago on SAR of rumors of a GM 135mm and 400mm lenses but I don't think we have anything official from Sony yet
Thanks, Barry. I was wondering if there was any info. out there that pointed to prime GM's other than the 135 and 400, which I had heard rumor about. I wonder if Sony has any plans to cover 18-50ish with these GM's or if they'll just stick to the zooms to cover those FL's. Time will tell, I guess.

Barry Haines

Thanks, Barry. I was wondering if there was any info. out there that pointed to prime GM's other than the 135 and 400, which I had heard rumor about. I wonder if Sony has any plans to cover 18-50ish with these GM's or if they'll just stick to the zooms to cover those FL's. Time will tell, I guess.
Hi Doug, Re: 18-50ish - I personally think that the Zony 35mm F1.4 and the Zony 50mm F1.4 will be Sony's final PRO offerings (for now at least) for those two FL's (as being their equivalent of GM lenses)...if you get my drift.

The GM 16-35mm looks to be an excellent lens (as does the Sony G 12-24mm) albeit they are zooms (If you look over on DXOmark - Measurements>Sharpness>Profile https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...on-Sony-A7R-II__1535_1035_1627_1035_1856_1035) The GM 16-35mm in terms of sharpness is not that far behind even the 21mm Loxia and 25mm Batis (i.e. Once stopped down about F5.6/F8) that's all supposing you can get hold of a good copy that is...The wide and the superwides seem to be taken care of by Zeiss, Voigtlander, Tokina, Samyang...etc...for now.

As you say we will have to wait and see where Sony take their GM range (The GM's tend to be bokeh orientated, which I expect will end up being fast teles)...just my 2p worth :)

Cheers Barry
_________

Bullring Birmingham...Voigtlander 12mm

The Ute

Hi Doug, Re: 18-50ish - I personally think that the Zony 35mm F1.4 and the Zony 50mm F1.4 will be Sony's final PRO offerings (for now at least) for those two FL's (as being their equivalent of GM lenses)...if you get my drift.

The GM 16-35mm looks to be an excellent lens (as does the Sony G 12-24mm) albeit they are zooms (If you look over on DXOmark - Measurements>Sharpness>Profile https://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Comp...on-Sony-A7R-II__1535_1035_1627_1035_1856_1035) The GM 16-35mm in terms of sharpness is not that far behind even the 21mm Loxia and 25mm Batis (i.e. Once stopped down about F5.6/F8) that's all supposing you can get hold of a good copy that is...The wide and the superwides seem to be taken care of by Zeiss, Voigtlander, Tokina, Samyang...etc...for now.

As you say we will have to wait and see where Sony take their GM range (The GM's tend to be bokeh orientated, which I expect will end up being fast teles)...just my 2p worth :)

Cheers Barry
_________

Bullring Birmingham...Voigtlander 12mm

Love this one Barry.
Another great shot.
Wonderful "gradient" effect.

dwood

Cheers Barry
You could very well be right, Barry. The 85 GM has a unique rendering that's appealing. It would be interesting to see that carried over to other FL's.

The 16-35 GM does look very good...sharper that the 24-70 version from what I've seen.

Awesome shot with the Voigtlander 12!

Best,
Doug

KeithDM

Earlier this week I visited the Verbeke Foundation in Kemzeke (Belgium).

It's a big collection of sculptures, buildings, art installations, paintings, collages etc. spread over a park outside as well as some very large greenhouses inside.
To be fair, there's some cool art to be seen there but some of the exhibits would not fall out of line in a scrap yard either :loco:
Goodness gracious me - what a collection of images! That wooden wormhole one is stunning. The location looks as though one day would not be enough... :)

pegelli

Goodness gracious me - what a collection of images! That wooden wormhole one is stunning. The location looks as though one day would not be enough... :)
Thanks Keith, and you're absolutely right . I only had two hours there due to a following appointment but I sure I will go back at least another full day. However having good light is essential, otherwise it will soon all look pretty drab.

Here's three more:

11: Inside the beehive 2

12: Shadow play with a distraction

13: Square tunnel

All NEX6 + E10-18/4

Barry Haines

Nuns Cross Farm is in a fairly remote bleak part of Dartmoor
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would take regular walks across Dartmoor...This old farmhouse he discovered on one of those walks is believed to be what helped inspire the novel "The Hound of the Baskervilles" The home of Jack Stapleton.

SparkNotes: Hound of the Baskervilles: Chapter VII: The Stapletons of Merripit House

"Walking alongside the moor, Stapleton points out the mystery and danger of the place, highlighting the great Grimpen mire, a stretch where a sort of quicksand can suck up either man or beast. Just then, the two spot a pony being swallowed up by the sand, even though, as Stapleton brags, the pony knows his way around well enough not to get into trouble. As Stapleton dissuades Watson from trying his luck, the two hear a low, sad moan that the locals suspect is the howling of the hound of the Baskervilles"

Barry Haines

Minster Church, Boscastle

http://www.britainexpress.com/counties/cornwall/churches/minster-church.htm
The origins of Minster Church go back to at least the early 6th century, when a Welsh princess named Madryn settled by a spring, or holy well, in the Valency Valley. Madryn, who was later sanctified as Materiana, or Merteriana, was the eldest daughter of King Vortimer the Blessed of Gwent. She became known as a healer, and the spring waters were reputed to have healing qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.