The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelM

Thank you Alan...No matter where you stood in the room, you was always aware that you were being watched :eek:

This guy seemed oblivious of the beautiful surroundings all around him, he was only interested in his phone
Broadchurch (West Bay) - Sony GM 85mm

I'm thinking that since he is more interested in his phone, perhaps he should be 'Photoshopped' out completely, shadow too. :)

Joel

Barry Haines

I really like these, Barry. I can’t decide which is my favourite. The monochrome has great pop but the colour has a lot of dimensions that catch my eye.
Thank you Craig, I uploaded both of them because I also wasn't sure which one I preferred the most :)

I took some quick test shots this evening over at Respryn Woods with the new 50mm f/1.2 Voigtlander Nokton E mount
A selection of WO and some stopped down images as well as a MFD image WO to show off the glow

Last edited:

Knorp

I took some quick test shots this evening over at Respryn Woods with the new 50mm f/1.2 Voigtlander Nokton E mount
A selection of WO and some stopped down images as well as a MFD image WO to show off the glow
Lovely ! They say the image circle (VM-mount) is large enough to cover Fuji's GFX-50s/r sensor ... mmm

AlanS

I am thinking about it too! However I fancy the 40mm version more, do you know if also covers 33x44?

Barry Haines

Lovely ! They say the image circle (VM-mount) is large enough to cover Fuji's GFX-50s/r sensor ... mmm
Thanks Bart, I had also considered getting the VM version, as I had it in mind of perhaps getting the FujiFilm 100mp camera later on when it was released...That way it would serve the Sony FF system and the FujiFilm medium format GFX camera or even another camera maker.

My reasonings why I didn't, was that I didn't want to keep buying lenses that didn't relay exif data and suffering from possible misaligned lens adapters.

The E mount version so I understand has been redesigned for Sony's thicker sensor stack which is important with close focusing fast shallow DOF lenses...I believe Fred (FM) has confirmed this to be true.

The E mount lens is slighly more expensive but includes the hood for free - BTW the hood is identical to the 40mm E mount lens as far as I can see...I personally dislike the vented VM hoods anyway, they are functional on a rangefinder but not really necessary on a Sony mirrorless...besides they are quite an expensive extra item.

The E mount lens is slighly more heavier at 434g vs VM 344g but if you chose to add a close focus CV-Sony adapter (circa 120g) it would end up being heavier!

I personally prefer the E mount 58mm filter thread over the 52mm filter thread VM mount

The silver nosed VM lenses are more at risk with sun flare...(Again see Fred over at FM)

MFD E mount 0.45m vs MFD VM mount 0.7m without a close focus adapter

https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/vm/50-mm-112-nokton/?lang=en
https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/e-mount/50-mm-112-nokton-e/?lang=en

I read it here (see commets by fcracer).... https://fcracer.com/medium-format-travel-camera/

fcracer December 18, 2018 at 3:06 pm
If you’re using F1.2, you can use the whole image since the edges will be so blurred in luscious creamy bokeh that you won’t notice the colour aberrations on the edges and the vignetting.
If however you want to use the lens at F8 for a landscape, I would recommend cropping the image.

I am thinking about it too! However I fancy the 40mm version more, do you know if also covers 33x44?
I don't think it does Alan...as I believe the CV 40mm VM f1.2 image circle vignettes even more than the CV 50mm VM f1.2 image circle...A post crop in editing or pre-crop in camera would then be required.

Knorp

Thanks Bart, I had also considered getting the VM version, as I had it in mind of perhaps getting the FujiFilm 100mp camera later on when it was released...That way it would serve the Sony FF system and the FujiFilm medium format GFX camera or even another camera maker.

My reasonings why I didn't, was that I didn't want to keep buying lenses that didn't relay exif data and suffering from possible misaligned lens adapters.

The E mount version so I understand has been redesigned for Sony's thicker sensor stack which is important with close focusing fast shallow DOF lenses...I believe Fred (FM) has confirmed this to be true.

The E mount lens is slighly more expensive but includes the hood for free - BTW the hood is identical to the 40mm E mount lens as far as I can see...I personally dislike the vented VM hoods anyway, they are functional on a rangefinder but not really necessary on a Sony mirrorless...besides they are quite an expensive extra item.

The E mount lens is slighly more heavier at 434g vs VM 344g but if you chose to add a close focus CV-Sony adapter (circa 120g) it would end up being heavier!

I personally prefer the E mount 58mm filter thread over the 52mm filter thread VM mount

The silver nosed VM lenses are more at risk with sun flare...(Again see Fred over at FM)

MFD E mount 0.45m vs MFD VM mount 0.7m without a close focus adapter

https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/vm/50-mm-112-nokton/?lang=en
https://www.voigtlaender.de/lenses/e-mount/50-mm-112-nokton-e/?lang=en

I read it here (see commets by fcracer).... https://fcracer.com/medium-format-travel-camera/

fcracer December 18, 2018 at 3:06 pm
If you’re using F1.2, you can use the whole image since the edges will be so blurred in luscious creamy bokeh that you won’t notice the colour aberrations on the edges and the vignetting.
If however you want to use the lens at F8 for a landscape, I would recommend cropping the image.

I don't think it does Alan...as I believe the CV 40mm VM f1.2 image circle vignettes even more than the CV 50mm VM f1.2 image circle...A post crop in editing or pre-crop in camera would then be required.
Thank you, Barry. You're right about the missing EXIF data and cropping isn't an option, fine for existing lenses, but not for a new lens to buy. That's a pity for sure.
In terms of sharpness WO, how do the 40/1.2 and 50/1.2 compare ?

TIA

Brgds.

scho

Still playing with the old Contax N 100mm f/2.8 Makro-Sonnar on the A7II. Just for the bright colors.

Barry Haines

Thank you, Barry. You're right about the missing EXIF data and cropping isn't an option, fine for existing lenses, but not for a new lens to buy. That's a pity for sure.
In terms of sharpness WO, how do the 40/1.2 and 50/1.2 compare ?

TIA

Brgds.
Which lens is sharper at f/1.2!....That put me on the spot - Thanks Bart :LOL: ...A quick off the cuff answer and I would say they are about the same...If you like your 40mm you won't be dissapointed in the 50mm.

No reason to own both, as they are not spaced far enough in focal lenth for most people...I purchased it to see if it would replace my 50mm Mitakon f/0.95 (Early days and I'm still on the fence and need to do some direct comparisons when I have some free time).

I suspect most people that buy either the Voigtlander 40mm and 50mm f/1.2 Noktons will not be shooting at "infinity" WO (I think night photographers would be sadly dissapointed with mapping the stars, as the extreme corners are going to be soft at f/1.2 infinity focused, although stopping down helps dramatically).

The market segment that I think this lens is being aimed at is street photographers (daytime and especially low light...ie. Vivek and Co.) where the rendering/bokeh subject isolation is probably going to be just as important as sharpness if not more so.

The 50mm F1.2 being the longer focal length naturaly gives you more OoF and subject isolation than the wider angled 40mm f1.2 at the same taking position (I personally prefer the 50mm WO seperation/isolation creamy rendering to the 40mm)...You need to get in closer with the 40mm to achieve similar (not the same) isolation of your subject matter.

Anyway enough faffing about, I'm just thinking how to best answer you ;)
I just carried out some quick non scientific tests (Handheld no tripod) as the light keeps changing here (contrasty then flat) sunny with a lot of clouds and it's now dark :(
I won't upload the images taken at different distances WO but after some 50-100% pixel peeking...These are my thoughts
Both lenses on center WO look similiar in sharpness between 1.5m and infinity and are very acceptable (to me at least)....with about the 2-5m range focused distance showing a stronger sharper center to edges than what infinity does.
Below 1m focused distance the 50mm f1.2 I would say suffers the worst of the two lenses, as things are starting to get softer (glowy) and lower in contrast, where it would be best to add a diopter achromat to improve matters.

My final thoughts...The sharpness of the Voigtlander 65mm Macro Apo-Lanthar WO at f/2 is on a higher level than either of the 50mm and 40mm Noktons at f/2

Some links for you and others...

Fred Miranda - Inital impressions https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561782/19#14829219

Fred Miranda - Improving sharpnes WO at closer distances https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/36#14257362

Cheers Barry

Edit image added - 50mm Nokton @ f/8 nr infinity sharpness corner test downsized 4K pixel wide...Please click on Enlarge
In terms of sharpness it does a better job in my mind than my 50mm Summilux did at f/8

+ Fred Miranda is starting to run some comparison tests against other lenses https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561782/20#14832246

Last edited:

scho

Last shot (for awhile) with the Contax N 100mm f/2.8 Makro-Sonnar on the A7II. Old boathouse window with new glass and glazing. This lens probably produced the sharpest rendering of all the lenses I've used in the past to shoot (handheld) this scene.

I couldn't resist adding this "One leg balance act" shot:eek:

Last edited:

scho

"Far above Cayuga's waters". Sony A7II Fringer adapter Contax N 100mm f/2.8 Makro-Sonnar. Processed in Luminar 3.1 one click Accent AI 2.0 filter.

JoelM

I couldn't resist adding this "One leg balance act" shot:eek:

Really like this shot but mostly because they both used their outside leg. Love the symmetry and the reflections in the water. I'm rather OCD so the symmetry of the "inside legs up" grabbed me right away.

Joel

Last edited:

scho

Really like this shot but mostly because they both used their outside leg. Love the symmetry and the reflections in the water. I'm rather OCD so the symmetry of the "inside legs up" grabbed me right away.

Joel
I sometimes think that these birds have OCD tendencies. Here is one from a few years ago where the symmetry is a bit more complex.

Knorp

Which lens is sharper at f/1.2!....That put me on the spot - Thanks Bart :LOL: ...A quick off the cuff answer and I would say they are about the same...If you like your 40mm you won't be dissapointed in the 50mm.

No reason to own both, as they are not spaced far enough in focal lenth for most people...I purchased it to see if it would replace my 50mm Mitakon f/0.95 (Early days and I'm still on the fence and need to do some direct comparisons when I have some free time).

I suspect most people that buy either the Voigtlander 40mm and 50mm f/1.2 Noktons will not be shooting at "infinity" WO (I think night photographers would be sadly dissapointed with mapping the stars, as the extreme corners are going to be soft at f/1.2 infinity focused, although stopping down helps dramatically).

The market segment that I think this lens is being aimed at is street photographers (daytime and especially low light...ie. Vivek and Co.) where the rendering/bokeh subject isolation is probably going to be just as important as sharpness if not more so.

The 50mm F1.2 being the longer focal length naturaly gives you more OoF and subject isolation than the wider angled 40mm f1.2 at the same taking position (I personally prefer the 50mm WO seperation/isolation creamy rendering to the 40mm)...You need to get in closer with the 40mm to achieve similar (not the same) isolation of your subject matter.

Anyway enough faffing about, I'm just thinking how to best answer you ;)
I just carried out some quick non scientific tests (Handheld no tripod) as the light keeps changing here (contrasty then flat) sunny with a lot of clouds and it's now dark :(
I won't upload the images taken at different distances WO but after some 50-100% pixel peeking...These are my thoughts
Both lenses on center WO look similiar in sharpness between 1.5m and infinity and are very acceptable (to me at least)....with about the 2-5m range focused distance showing a stronger sharper center to edges than what infinity does.
Below 1m focused distance the 50mm f1.2 I would say suffers the worst of the two lenses, as things are starting to get softer (glowy) and lower in contrast, where it would be best to add a diopter achromat to improve matters.

My final thoughts...The sharpness of the Voigtlander 65mm Macro Apo-Lanthar WO at f/2 is on a higher level than either of the 50mm and 40mm Noktons at f/2

Some links for you and others...

Fred Miranda - Inital impressions https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561782/19#14829219

Fred Miranda - Improving sharpnes WO at closer distances https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1512530/36#14257362

Cheers Barry

Edit image added - 50mm Nokton @ f/8 nr infinity sharpness corner test downsized 4K pixel wide...Please click on Enlarge
In terms of sharpness it does a better job in my mind than my 50mm Summilux did at f/8

+ Fred Miranda is starting to run some comparison tests against other lenses https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1561782/20#14832246
That's quite an extensive write up and analysis ! Thank you, Barry.
As the 50/1.2 probably won't do 'good' on my GFX and is not - if at all - much better irt sharpness than my 40/1.2 I'll leave it in the store.
Saving up for something else ... :rolleyes:

Brgds

Status
Not open for further replies.