The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerett

_DSC0097.jpg Hotel Zum Riesen (The Giant), in Miltenberg, Germany. It is one of the oldest continuously operating hotels in the world, dating back to 1411. Elvis apparently stayed here (so said our guide}. Sony A7rlll, 24-70GM

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Wow! That's unusual. Beam me up. Hope you didn't get probed by aliens, Barry. :ROTFL:

Joe

Not so unusual really Joe...
The Borg often stop off in Devon and Cornwal on their way back to alpha centauri to pick up a pasty...you know they just can't resist them as it would be futile to do so! :p :rolleyes:

It's just a Daymark Joe, they are dotted about high on the cliffs around Devon and Cornwall for mariners at sea to navigate by.
This is Cribbin Head Daymark in Cornwall

KeithDM

Took delivery today of one of the newly released Sigma 45mm f2.8 DG DN Contemporary lenses. Apart from the test reports of excellent performance, the attractions to me are the lightweight (235g), compact size, AF & MF, aperture click ring (1/3rd stops), 55mm filter thread, all-metal construction and some weather sealing. The intention is for it to be my default walk-about & general use lens on my A7III. Some initial test shots below - (1) & (2) are at f2.8 & MFD. (3) & (4) at f11, (5) at f2.8. Raw files exported from LR CC as 1024px @ 72dpi jpg's.

Last edited:

Barry Haines

Likewise picked up a new lens today...The 21mm Nokton f1.4 and have been testing it against my 21mm Loxia Distagon.

Checking the nets - Sony GM 135mm f1.8
Unauthorised Parking - Voigtlander 21mm Nokton f1.4

Knorp

Likewise picked up a new lens today...The 21mm Nokton f1.4 and have been testing it against my 21mm Loxia Distagon.

Unauthorised Parking - Voigtlander 21mm Nokton f1.4

Hi there Barry, on my monitor it shows quite a bit of a magenta hue paricularly in the upper corners of the image: did you perhaps use some kind of filter here ?
Anyway, I'm very pleased with my 21/1.4 copy and together with the 65/2.0 it forms my favourite walk-around combo.
Looking forward to your verdict :)

Kind regards.

pegelli

Picked up this very old Leitz 9cm Elmar-M recently for a song, worked OK on my 7ii.
Great! and a good test shot for checking detail and fringing.
I have one from 1956 with a M39 screw mount. Picked it up second hand for 90 DM (~40 €) in Germany in the mid 70's. Worked (and still works) great on my M2, but also on all my E-mount cameras. Going by the serial number mine was produced in 1956 (my YOB), do you know how old the one is you found?

KeithDM

Two more from my first brief outing with the Sigma 45mm f2.8. (1) is a general view followed by a 100% crop of top-right. (2) yet another example of Swindon architecture followed by a 200% crop of bottom right. If I manage to get out & about today, as the sun is still shining I'll endeavour to find suitable framing/subjects to check for fringing etc.

Barry Haines

Hi there Barry, on my monitor it shows quite a bit of a magenta hue paricularly in the upper corners of the image: did you perhaps use some kind of filter here ?
Anyway, I'm very pleased with my 21/1.4 copy and together with the 65/2.0 it forms my favourite walk-around combo.
Looking forward to your verdict :)

Kind regards.
Hi Bart, many thanks for pointing it out to me...I'm sure you are right, it wouldn't be the first time I screwed up the colour...I doubt it will be the last time either...For speed I used a sooc jpg without a profile with this particular image, that didn't help matters.

My red/green colour blindness is at fault here...I normally get Alison to give my images a look over on my Eizo before uploading but she was asleep as it was late when I uploaded.

Agree the 65mm and 21mm make for an excellent choice for a two lens walk about combo.

I currently have 14 FE mount prime lenses all without adapters (I have now sold off all of my Leica M and R, Zeiss ZM lenses together with a few Sony zoom and prime lenses and some others - OM and Nikon mount).

Still playing about with various combinations to see which lenses work best for me.

Prime lenses
12mm Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar f5.6
15mm Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar f4.5
21mm Voigtlander Nokton f1.4
21mm Zeiss Loxia Distagon f2.8
25mm Zeiss Loxia Distagon f2.4
40mm Voigtlander Nokton f1.2
50mm Voigtlander Nokton f1.2
50mm Mitakon Speed Master f0.95
55mm Sony Sonnar f1.8
65mm Voigtlander Macro Apo-Lanthar f2.0
85mm Sony GM f1.4
90mm Sony G Macro f2.8
110mm Voigtlander Macro Apo-Lanthar f2.5
135mm Sony GM f1.8

Anyway these are my brief initial impressions (certainly not a review) between the two 21mm lenses.
Both lenses resolve brilliantly when stopped down, right into the extreme corners without smearing.

Zeiss Loxia 21mm f2.8

Pro's
52mm filter thread is common throughout the Loxia range which could be an advantage to some.
Lightweight (caps front and rear with hood and 52mm B+W Clear filter = 434g, weighed by myself).
Small and compact, easy to fit in a camera bag taking up less space (Than Nokton) with reversed hood...Both hoods detach and reverse in on themselves for easy storage.
Slightly wider AoV than the Nokton (This maybe a negative to others though).
Blue rubber seal gasket between lens and camera body offers some protection against the rain.

Negs
More awkward/fiddlier to attach the hood than the Nokton (Although my Loxia 25mm Hood for whatever reason seems less problematic).
I personally don't like having the aperture ring so close to the lens mount.
I personally don't like the fine grooved (traps dirt) focus ring compared to the Noktons scalloped focus ring (Scalloped ring is easier to focus with gloves on in the cold).
Attaching/Detaching the lens to the camera, not much to grab hold of that doesn't rotate (But improved with a PocketPano lens grip)...it's easy to nudge off of your default aperture setting.
Slow - f2.8 is 2 stops slower than f1.4 Nokton.
It's a faff removing the lens to set a click-less aperture ring using an accessory key (which can easily get lost) if changing over from stills to making videos or vice versa.
Short distance lens rotational focus throw.

Voigtlander Nokton 21mm f1.4

Pro's
Fast Lens.
Slightly narrower AoV than the Loxia (This maybe a negative to others though).
Slightly more spread out lens rotational focus throw.
Easy to switch to click-less aperture ring...no need to remove lens and no key is necessary.

Negs
62mm filter thread is less common...Although the Sony 90mm G macro is 62mm filter thread.
Heavier by comparison to the Loxia (caps front and rear with hood and 62mm B+W Clear filter = 613g, weighed by myself).
Also larger (but only to be expected for a 2 stop faster lens).
Heavy vignetting wide open and I think this lens may possibly vignette more than the Loxia throughout all of the corresponding apertures when stopping down (I need to test this for certain).

No outright clear winner for me as of yet (I won't keep both lenses)...I shall see which lens I gravitate to the most over the coming months.

KeithDM

Reference #2087 and the 45mm Sigma, here are some from this afternoon. With the first one no fringing evident even before applying the built-in profile. Second one of the backlit web also taken at f8. So far overall performance is pleasing. One aspect that impresses is the close-focus capability of just a few cm's compared with the 0.7m of (for example) my 50mm Summilux-M.

100% Crop

Last edited:

KeithDM

Zeiss Loxia 21mm f2.8

Pro's
52mm filter thread is common throughout the Loxia range which could be an advantage to some.
Lightweight (caps front and rear with hood and 52mm B+W Clear filter = 434g, weighed by myself).
Small and compact, easy to fit in a camera bag taking up less space (Than Nokton) with reversed hood...Both hoods detach and reverse in on themselves for easy storage.
Slightly wider AoV than the Nokton (This maybe a negative to others though).
Blue rubber seal gasket between lens and camera body offers some protection against the rain.

Negs
More awkward/fiddlier to attach the hood than the Nokton (Although my Loxia 25mm Hood for whatever reason seems less problematic).
I personally don't like having the aperture ring so close to the lens mount.
I personally don't like the fine grooved (traps dirt) focus ring compared to the Noktons scalloped focus ring (Scalloped ring is easier to focus with gloves on in the cold).
Attaching/Detaching the lens to the camera, not much to grab hold of that doesn't rotate (But improved with a PocketPano lens grip)...it's easy to nudge off of your default aperture setting.
Slow - f2.8 is 2 stops slower than f1.4 Nokton.
It's a faff removing the lens to set a click-less aperture ring using an accessory key (which can easily get lost) if changing over from stills to making videos or vice versa.
Short distance lens rotational focus throw.
I have the Loxia 25mm and yes, the PocketPano grip makes all the difference for fit & removal. Not the best lens ergonomically-speaking but I have so far found its performance to be absolutely superb. The way things are going at the moment points to my M lenses being reserved for use on my M7 and MP.

Status
Not open for further replies.