The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With Sony Cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Many thanks Dave,

This was shot using in camera 'watercolour mode', which I have been using for a few days to keep myself amused during the lockdown kerfuffle of recent weeks.

I find it fun to use and if you go back 4 days to my post 21754 there are some examples from then on, it works well with flowers and landscapes. Sometimes I think I would like to use it all the time, but that way madness lies:), but it's great now and again.

pegelli

Castle Rivierenhof in Deurne (Antwerp)

A7ii + Super Tak 150/4, LR stitch of 3 handheld landscape oriented photos

gurtch

Many thanks Dave,

This was shot using in camera 'watercolour mode', which I have been using for a few days to keep myself amused during the lockdown kerfuffle of recent weeks.

I find it fun to use and if you go back 4 days to my post 21754 there are some examples from then on, it works well with flowers and landscapes. Sometimes I think I would like to use it all the time, but that way madness lies:), but it's great now and again.
Thank you again. What camera did you use that has that "watercolor" mode? I would love to try it for a seascape or landscape.
Love the effect.
Dave

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi Dave,

I use only the Sony RX100/3, (the mighty camera that fits in your pocket!), the watercolour mode is in the menu somewhere under 'Picture Effects', which I have on a dedicated button on the back of the camera, though I believe it can be applied after the event, which I have not tried. There are other effects like 'toy camera', 'illustration', etc etc.

I believe it is on all Sony cameras, certainly, AFAIK, the A7 models.

I usually tweak my pics further using Nik Col Efex.

Let me know if you want any further info or examples.

Here is my take on Edward Hopper's 'Nighthawks' picture using the effect ;)

All the best.

Attachments

scho

Many thanks Dave,

Well said. The watercolor effect mode in particular is quite addictive for some reason and needs to be used in moderation.

gurtch

Thanks, I never knew my A7RII had a "water color" filter! I assume it only works with JPGs? I shoot RAW, but I assume I could set the camera for RAW + JPG and also select water color. I am thinking I then get the best of both worlds: a water color to fool around with on the JPG, and also a RAW image for conventional photography.
Dave

scho

Thanks, I never knew my A7RII had a "water color" filter! I assume it only works with JPGs? I shoot RAW, but I assume I could set the camera for RAW + JPG and also select water color. I am thinking I then get the best of both worlds: a water color to fool around with on the JPG, and also a RAW image for conventional photography.
Dave
It may insist on jpg only to gat access to this filter. I also found that this and other filters were removed from firmware in my A7RIV.

scho

A shot with A7RIV + Sigma 14-24 Art lens looking south on the waterfront trail along Cayuga Inlet across from the Island Health fitness center (closed of course).

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Dave
Certainly is jpg only with RX100/3 (but it doesn’t matter!).

Status
Not open for further replies.