The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Would you scarifice a lens, and maybe a camera, to get this shot?

R

Ranger 9

Very cool (okay, actually, very hot.) I remember reading in Pop Photo back in the '60s about some well-known Life photog getting the recently-deceased repair wizard Marty Forscher to build a setup with a motorized Nikon F to do the same thing with a Saturn launch.

And sure, I'd do the same if I wanted that kind of shot and had the opportunity to get it -- although I'd probably buy a used basket-case camera and lens specifically for that purpose. When you consider all the expenses (including travel etc.) probably most of us have spent more than that to get a photo we really wanted.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Marty passed away , what a shame and a photo icon as well. I bought his Polaroid back for my F3 back in the day.

Most likely a special housing for this shot but yes i would make the sacrifice if I was getting paid well. LOL

beamon

I, too, was not aware that Marty had died.

One of my best buds, many years ago, was empoyed by Bethlehem Steel as their photog. He spent a great deal of time with Marty for all the usual things a pro would use Marty for, but the neatest was the gryoscopic stability mount that Marty engineered and built.

That device took the always slightly blurred helicopter pics that were
de rigueur in the often dark photo environments he was flying in and made them tack sharp as Blads were supposed to be. It was quite a contraption, but it worked! Great stuff!

My now dead bud must have been pleasantly surprised when he saw Marty entering the pearly gates. :)