Site Sponsors

Thread: Irving Penn passed away

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Irving Penn passed away

Very said news here. One of my hero's.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091007/...it_irving_penn
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Irving Penn passed away

One of mine too. Sorry he's gone, but he left an incredible legacy.

ddk

Also one of mine...

nei1

Didnt know him but Im sure he was a good intelligent man ,you can feel it in his pictures.......this is one of my favourites.
    Last edited by nei1; 24th October 2009 at 03:01.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A True Artist he was
    Outstanding Vision & Technique...

I have a Client on the Board of Aperture
    & her Bedroom is Filled with one Wall from Floor To Ceiling of Penn
    (Mind You the whole Apartment is filled with e phoography GREATS)
    Penn's Work Its Breathtaking !!!

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    Didnt know him but Im sure he was a good intelligent man ,you can feel it in his pictures.......this is one of my favourites.
    That's an Avedon not a Penn

RICHARD AVEDON (1923-2004)
    Dovima with Elephants, Evening Dress by Dior, Cirque d'Hiver, Paris, August 1955
    Last edited by johnastovall; 7th October 2009 at 16:51.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like

He was a master not only behind the camera but in the darkroom as well. I saw a collection of his platinum palladium prints a few years ago, and they were probably the finest prints I have ever seen.

Ranger 9

If you can get the online New York Times, here's the four-page obituary.

Non-photographic, but something I liked: He married a fashion model -- not unusual -- but then stayed married to her for 42 years, until her death at age 80. "A devoted husband and friend," says the Times obit. I can think of worse epitaphs.

Looking through the portfolio accompanying the Times piece raised another thought: the pictures are brilliant, but there's almost nothing to them. Nobody would look at one and say, "OMG, how on earth did he shoot that?" Nobody would pay for a book of Irving Penn lighting diagrams. It would seem irrelevant and unnecessary; you can see everything you need to see just by looking. His work makes almost everything you see in today's commercial photography -- all those fawning "how it was done" features in PDN with the details of all the generators and flash heads and assistants -- seem overlit, overdone, and underthought.

This quality of sheer transparency, of being able to see right through the technique into the work, is something I also see in the photos of Elliot Erwitt, and also in the work of choreographer Merce Cunningham (another titan who died this year.) Imagine going to Las Vegas and seeing a very unusual magic act: The magician comes out and calmly explains exactly how he's going to do his next trick. He demonstrates it slowly, showing each step. He repeats the demonstration, pausing periodically to make sure you're not missing anything. He answers any questions until it's clear to everyone in the audience.

Then he does the trick -- and it's still amazing. That would be some kind of magician.

meilicke

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger 9 View Post
    Imagine going to Las Vegas and seeing a very unusual magic act: The magician comes out and calmly explains exactly how he's going to do his next trick. He demonstrates it slowly, showing each step. He repeats the demonstration, pausing periodically to make sure you're not missing anything. He answers any questions until it's clear to everyone in the audience.

Then he does the trick -- and it's still amazing. That would be some kind of magician.
    Lovely analogy.

nei1

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    That's an Avedon not a Penn

RICHARD AVEDON (1923-2004)
    Dovima with Elephants, Evening Dress by Dior, Cirque d'Hiver, Paris, August 1955
    thanks John what a silly thing,clicked without thinking.