The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tempted by Kindle?

Terry

I use it and I like it a lot but it will probably be trounced by Apple's tablet so if you haven't bitten yet, I would wait a little while longer.

simonclivehughes

I've followed these things (Kindle and the Sony) for a while, but until they can show color pictures & diagrams etc, I just don't see the point. One main use for me would be manuals and technical books. Plus, I wonder about the availability of material. I'm a fairly eclectic reader and I fear that much of what I'd want isn't available. I love the concept however.

Cheers,

jlm

Workshop Member
i use a Kindle...it has boosted my recreational reading considerably, is fantastic for travel; reading is easy on the eyes, battery lasts forever, you will start spending dough at Amazon instead of your bookstore, you can archive online (amazon) as well as on the Kindle, no need for a wireless connection to hook-up so you can buy new reads almost anywhere, yada-yada-yada.

I haven't tried it for tech books and don't have a need for it to show color, ymmv

bradhusick

I have the Kindle DX now (larger screen) and I love it for travel. I have read more books on the road in the past 6 months than I read in the previous 3 years! It's really good for books, not so great for textbooks or anything that requires note taking. It's just too tedious to take notes on the thing. The DX weighs about twice what the Kindle 2 does, so FYI. The battery charge lasts more than a week while reading, several months while sleeping! I don't think Apple's upcoming tablet will get anywhere close to this.

The DX also displays any PDF, so if you can get what you want in PDF format, you sync and you're good to go.

Diane B

There was a good article in our Sunday paper about several universities doing trials with it. The Kindles were owned by the university (at this point), loaded with the text books--so no purchase of the books for the student--they just turned the Kindles back in end of semester. Some liked them, some were uncomfortable with them. They did say they weren't applicable yet for science based classes.

I have a house full of books of all kinds--and literally, no room for any more without moving some out, but several years ago, being both self employed, we had a period of 'downturn' and we both started going to one of the local libraries (as we both read a lot--and not the same genre either LOL). I found I could get just about any book I wanted--any of my local libraries will order within the NC library system for me (including the NC university library system), so I've stopped accumulating most books (some still have to be in my hand LOL). Recently, the library system statewide started carrying Ebooks--and the city library has 2 Kindles to handle and try out. I haven't yet---but am def. interested. Right now the selection doesn't look great, but I expect it to grow quickly. And--I could buy books again--just can't recycle them to used stores though LOL.

Diane

Terry

The reason I cited the mystery Apple tablet is the color screen for better graphics rendering for textbooks, magazines etc.
I realize what makes Kindle really good is the eink technology that makes it so easy to read and that a back lit tablet might destroy it but I for one like seeing an on line magazine in an application like zinio with the correct pagelayout and graphics, better than the way things would be displayed on a Kindle.

I've also heard that Apple is trying to work on some print media deals.

The Kindle battery is great. I keep the wireless turned off except for when I'm buying something and the battery will go "forever and a day". Trying out the Wall Street Journal on Kindle now since I need to re-up my subscription and I'm really angry that they want $385 for the print edition which now has a lot less writing and a lot more 1/2 page pictures.

John, I think for internet browsing and mail a Kindle is not the way to go. Not sure of fees and the UI is NOT optimized for this as a primary reason to own one.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I've been using a Kindle since February and really enjoy it. The books are way less expensive so I'm saving money there. Right now I'm close to 40 books all less than $10.00 each so I figure I've broken even with the initial cost.

Great little book with good battery

jlm

Workshop Member
i bought the kindle 2, then a DX and sent the 2 to my daughter. we are both reading from the same booklist, purchased once, and available to each over the wireless. very handy

stephengilbert

One other thing: there are several websites that offer out of copyright books (all those things you never read in college) for free. Download to your computer, then transfer to the Kindle.

bradhusick

It's not a good device for web browsing or webmail. The screen refresh takes too long and there's no real mouse.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
With the new price drop and an international edition out for 29 dollars more, I'm getting more and more tempted to get a Kindle.

Anyone using a Kindle now and how do you like it?
As much as I'd like to have one, I doubt I will because international book prices are higher -- in Australia 40% more than in the US (supposedly because supplying WiFi is more expensive here). But it seems more like price gouging to me.

E

everyman

I have a Kindle 2 and a Kindle DX. I also bought it because I can no longer house all the books I buy physically. It has boosted my comprehension and speed. I cannot even believe how fast I can read now. The price is right too. The Nook looks fantastic. I wanted one, but beware of Barnes & Noble's ebook pricing. Sometimes it is very competitive with Amazon. And sometimes it is so ridiculously out of sync with the times it is shocking. Too Big to Fail is 9.99 on Amazon. 14.99 on Nook. The Stand is 7.99 on Amazon. 40 dollars, yes you read that correctly, on Nook. So as much as I love what the Nook looks like, unless B&N fixes their pricing fast, I will stick with Kindle.
Either way, ereaders are really worth looking into. They will improve your life by reintroducing you to reading in a whole new substantive way.

Diane B

I was at B & N yesterday to buy some maps and asked about the Nook. It won't be in stores until Nov--mid she thought-but they will have demo models in stores. Since I've never used a Kindle (though my city's library has 2--I haven't been since I usually go to a county library) it will be interesting to try one out.

I'm not sure if it would change my reading habits or if I could read anymore than I do---which is considerable, and I've been a speed reader since college (though learned long ago to slow down a bit and enjoy each word and phrase of some writers)-- but for others with commutes, air travel, etc. it could be terrific.

E

edwinb

Ive been using one for 3 months, I love it, it is easier to read than a book once you have adjusted to it (took me 5 minutes)
there are a lot of books open source and there are programs to convert your own content all on the web.
I use it more for recreational reading rather than professional and the battery really does last forever (wireless switched off)
I would be nervous to take it to work as its very thin and would need a hardcase
Edwin