The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How well do we see color ?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Quote:

"FACT: 1 out of 255 women and 1 out of 12 men have some form of color vision deficiency.
Take the online color challenge, based on the official FM100 Hue Test by X-Rite."

Online Color Challenge

:)

J

jamie123

That's a tricky one. I did it a couple of days ago and scored a 15 although I think I would've probably done better if I concentrated a bit more.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Not sure it makes a lot of technical sense (as most "tests" btw) except for calibration purposes and possibly detecting defects/diseases. This one's so strenuous that you're anxious to get over with it it as fast as possible and want to click on the "score test" button...

(btw scored 8 without double checking -pure luck)

Sorry for being the rattling guy here -age kicking in, probably :deadhorse:

O

Oxide Blu

Is there a website where we can download "cheats" for that challenge?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I just took it and scored a 4 (means I missed 4) all of which were clustered next to each other in the blue/cyan trazition zone. I would say that accurate monitor calibration is paramount ;)

Ebe

Jack is correct you will score much better on a
good calibrated monitor.
Took the test a few times on different monitors

I scored 11 on an old macbook with an old monitor calibration. I think the test shows more about the monitor than your vision, especially since the three areas I had troubled are colors where I know this 6-bit monitor is lacking.

Dale Allyn

I scored a zero on a NEC 2690wuxi2 that is hardware-calibrated w/SpectraView II. I've not had time to try my dying Apple Cinema Display yet, but I agree that monitor quality and calibration enter in to it. I was thinking about that while doing the test a few days ago, and the posts here suggest that as well. I'll try it with my limping old ACD to see how it differs.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

OK, I just tried it with my ACD (20" Lucite model from maybe 2001-2002-ish). The bottom backlight fluorescent lamp is failing (there are three) and requires that I shut down and disconnect it from the PowerMac to get the backlight to work again for a few days, and there's a row of dead pixels about 8" long entering in from the right margin. This is one sweet monitor!! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Anyhoo, I scored a zero again, but it was far more difficult to see the distinctions between the blocks. So, display calibration may play a role (surely it must) but it's not the only factor apparently. This old ACD is calibrated via iOne Display 2/Eye-One Match, but I don't expect much from it. It's a palette holder and place to leave a spreadsheet open, etc.

My primary business is VERY color sensitive and this may factor in as well.

gogopix

Subscriber
scored a zero on the first section, in about 30 sec. (on a laptop). I guess I have to stop complaining about 67 YO eyes!:D
what I noticed is that, with the correct order, there is a spectrum 'movement' that is likely due to my astigmatism separating the border at different points. It creates a kind of 'wave'

Of course, I used reading glasses; without them I can't find the laptop!:ROTFL:

I'll have to try the others, but it did seem easy, if you squint!

Victor