The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Done with my site. Could use some feedback

ryc

It's been a while in the works and I am done for now. Just need to work out bugs as they show up. Would love to hear your feedback. Unfortunately, I don't want to directly put the site name so it is not considered spam but if you want to see it, click my profile it will show you there.

Anyway, if you have a chance please chime in.

JT

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Excellent job! Very professional and the wealth of information is well organized.

The one thing that bugs me (and it's just a small irritation) is the side-scrolling list of stolen cameras by brand in the banner. Red on black is tough to read even standing still. And something about it makes my eyes jitter.

Otherwise, well done!

V

Vivek

Has no connection to this forum whatsoever. You should have posted it elsewhere.

At a glance, it looks like a site that sells gear with many "featured" adverts.

pellicle

Has no connection to this forum whatsoever. You should have posted it elsewhere.

At a glance, it looks like a site that sells gear with many "featured" adverts.
As a camera database I think it will be hard to beat camerapedia

I'm not sure what exactly is it a database of? Missing property?

ryc

The original intent was a stolen camera registry. In fact, several magazine including shutterbug, pdn and british journal of photography have written about it. Over the past couple of months I have been enhancing it to make it more attractive.

As far as a database competing with camerapedia, icameradb is there to provide info on what you are looking at and not what you are searching for. So, the info is kinda stumble uppon. Although it works the other way too, for example if you view the latest stolen or classifieds, you will see information about the company that makes the item you are viewing, information about where the owner purchased it from including links to the retailer site like BH tc .... and you will see links to sample produced by like equipment. I even wrote a mini forum app or it.

As far as the scrolling text, I am open to color suggestions or even a way to turn it off for the session. I did go from red to green on black text.

Also, did you know you can click on the scrolling text item to see the details of it?

Thanks

Last edited:

ryc

By the way, I have taken your suggestion and placed an icon in the top right to turn the ticker bar on and off. Its next to the icon for resizing the window.