The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Linux on a Lenovo Laptop -

O

Oxide Blu

Currently on Win XP, been wanting out from under MS, would like to side-step Win 7, thinking it is time to upgrade(?) to Linux, but I'm a Linux virgin, know nothing about it. I remember there was a member or two here that were running Linux on Lenovos. Can someone point in the direction I need to be going in to get started with this, or any advice on the subject?

Thanks.

Lars

Here is a starting point, I'm sure you have come across it:

http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/lenovo.html

Be forewarned though that the transition to Linux is fairly knowledge-intensive experience. It really helps if you have a professional need as well as personal curiosity to motivate you on the way. That said, just start reading and downloading. Consider getting a separate hard drive to experiment on.

O

Oxide Blu

Thank you very much, Lars! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Is there any one flavor of Linux that is preferred?

trisberg

Ubuntu is a good choice for starting out. It has a huge community and forums where you can get help. It also helps if your laptop is at least a year old since it can take a little bit of time for support of the latest hardware to get included in the distribution.

-Thomas

O

Oxide Blu

Thanks. I have a Lenovo T60p -- about 3yrs old. It is listed for Ubuntu support on the website Lars posted.

kweide

I had a T60 running Ubuntu Linux. It was incredible fast und reliable...but my decision was to go back to Windows. The decision was application-driven. GIMP was not my fav application and no CS3 under Ubuntu or Wines in sight and dualboot was no option for me.
So now i am working on a W500 and Win 7 Prof 64 Bit

O

Oxide Blu

I thought about that, too, the applications limited thing. I'm getting another machine for Win7 applications, will be mostly (or entirely) offline, off the web. I like Lars' suggestion of getting another HDD to load Linux onto. HDDs are cheap, if things go wrong I can swap out the HDD to get back to XP. I want the Linux machine for web surfing and playing around, mostly to see what Linux and Linux security is all about.

kweide

That was exactly what i did. Two HDDs. One built in and the second HDD mounted in a frame so i could easy swap it against the DVD in the Ultrabay.
But now the second 7200 rpm HDD is Imagestorage.....

Thinking SSD........