Site Sponsors

Thread: My Students' First Photo Exhibition

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My Students' First Photo Exhibition

Well my middle school photo class has had it's first exhibition today. Six students submitted entries in two categories: Challenge Winners (as selected by their peers) and an Open category (for the non-Challenge Winners). The Exhibition was held in the main school building during the annual school picnic/fair.

Here is a shot of the display:

The school director chose the Best In Show for each category. I am happy to report that my daughter won the Challenge Winner category.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: My Students' First Photo Exhibition

who was judging?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The school director and the elementary school principal were the judges. The middle school principal was unavailable. All of name tags were folded back so the judges did not know who took the shot.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry for being a little dense but what is the challenge category?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My bad, I failed to explain.

The class is a combination of lecture and critiques. Homework is in the form of reading assignments and photo challenges. The challenges are themed photo shoots like we do here and on other sites. During the critiques, the kids vote on the photos submitted by their peers after we discuss each photo and how the photos meet the challenge requirement. All of the winners (assuming the students submit me the full-sized images) get printed and entered into the exhibition automatically in the Challenge Group. Students who did not have any entries in the Challenge Group can enter in the Open Group. The Groups are mutually exclusive as the Challenge Group photos tend to be of higher caliber than the Open Group photos but this way the different skill levels can exhibit and not compete directly.

The way to have an entry in the Challenge Group is to win at least one Challenge and I issue them once a week.

I do not vote on the photos but I can offer pointers to the students on the technical and compositional merits of the shot. I also step in to intervene in teenage iniquities (the usual nonsense tweens/teens inflict upon themselves) to make sure a worthy photo gets considered properly.