The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CONUS Only

back alley

i get stuff from hong kong and china faster than i do from the states. and cheaper shipping too!
no rhyme or reason...

Terry

Well, as you know, the Viking spirit of robbery is still alive here in Sweden...:rolleyes:

Seriously, though, I´ve bought things quite a number of times from the US and from Britain, and not a single package has gone astray or been delayed. I wish I could say the same about our domestic mail....
Well, I'm now at the two week mark and it hasn't turned up yet.

Terry

I have shipped hundreds of packages in the last couple of years via USPS internationally, and none have been lost. I had one M4-P that left JFK on its way to New Zealand and two weeks later, tracking said it was still leaving JFK. I called USPS and the package was in NZ customs the next day.

It gets a little iffy shipping to some countries (corrupt customs officials) so it's best to undervalue the package. If the customs form says it's a $1500 camera, it may not make it through customs. If it says $50 used camera, it breezes on through. I use third party insurance in these cases, but have never had a claim.
Would you please elaborate on the third party insurance you are using? With USPS you can't insure unless it is priority. If you do insure then you have a value showing up right on the package and then you also have customs issues.

monza

One can insure express mail or priority. It's cheaper to use shipsurance.com, if they offer insurance to the country you are shipping to. But there are limitations.

Registered mail is also a good option depending on the value of the item. But that isn't available with Express; I'd most likely opt for Fedex in that case. I've shipped packages worth thousands without insurance using Fedex, only lost one package when the Fedex plane burned up at Logan Airport in Boston. ;)

ReeRay

To belay your fears I've only ever had 1 item fail to arrive of the 200 or so I've ordered from numerous Country's and that was a simple music CD ordered from the UK.

Scanner, lenses, cameras all declared at cost price and arrived safely.

What really needs to be considered here is that a lot of desired items are simply not available in certain Country's (mine for instance) and as such, I'm forced to purchase overseas. It's not that we're trying to scam you, we're trying to deal!

Currently I'm awaiting our good friend "Monza" to confirm he has the Contax G adapters and in goes my order including a GF-1 and full lens kit. God help me if he suddenly decides CONUS only - my life's over! :cry: