The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Repeat Purchase Madness

bensonga

And how about those four Nikon D2H bodies? If I had just ONE of those, you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands! :D

gary

Lloyd

And how about those four Nikon D2H bodies? Man, if I had just ONE of those, you'd have to pry it from my cold, dead hands!:D

gary
Yeah, I know. I had an ongoing event gig, never a need for high ISO, and no need for big files. I needed a second shooter, so we had first two, then three, then sold two, then sold the third when things slowed down for a while. Then it picked up again, so we bought two used bodies, then bought two more. The gig ended for good, so I sold them all... I wish I'd kept at least one for sure. :angry:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think I understand the addiction (I admit I have it as well :) ) of seeking the holy grail... the best lenses I can own, and use...

But a quick question out of curiosity: I understand the logic of buying a lens the second time (because you miss or regret selling a lens that you used to have from buying it the first time), but what happens on the third time buying?? Wouldn't you kind of know that the lens isn't for you when you sell it the second time round? It's troublesome the 3rd and 4th time getting the same lens again and again :D

(Ok, I understand the 4th time, since you mentioned going back to full frame... but what was the story for the 3rd 35cron? :p )
Oh it's pretty simple really :ROTFL::
1) Bought a new black 35 'cron for my M8/M7 combo.
2) Found a nice silver 35 'cron so bought it for my M7.
3) Silver 'cron much sharper than the new black 'cron so I negotiated a return.
4) My buddy bought my M8 & 'cron combo as part of a different trade.
5) I found another black 'cron so bought it.
6) Sold my M7 with the 'cron as a package when i bought my M9.
7) My buddy trades back 35 'cron as part of another deal.
8) Another trade later and the 35 'cron goes back to my buddy again.
9) I pick up a nice coded 35 'cron for my M9 ...

tom in mpls

Ouch! My head hurts.:eek:

darkspark

yea, that is much more complicated than I thought :D

I would have just kept the one cron that I like... and stick with it and not sell it as part of any combo :)

horosu

Well: I am in the same boat as you: bought the 35 Summicron/50 Summilux/ 50 Elmar twice; bought the 50 Planar three times (!), the 21/4.5 and 35/2.0 twice.

The only lenses that I have bought or sold once have been the 75 Summicron (kept it) and the 35/2.8 C-Biogon (sold it). But.....I miss the small C-Biogon badly. And I mean Badly !!!

N

nightfire

Is this part of some advanced "cooking the books" scheme? :D

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Is this part of some advanced "cooking the books" scheme? :D
Not to mention the international customs & taxes angle - my buddy is in the UK and I'm in the US :D

This is a pretty extreme case I admit (I did say not to ask in my original post :p) but it does include some bartering back and forwards between friends with similar interests.

leif e

I´m into my 3rd M8.:D They do get cheaper, though.

For many years I worked the unstable economy of a freelancer. To finance a holiday I sold 800 CDs at a ridiculously bad price. For some reason, surprisingly many of those CDs have found a way back into the shelves.:eek:

I am like that, I guess. Buying my latest M8, I declared myself ready to become a one-camera-man. My daughter said; "Ha Ha! I´ll be generous and say Mid-January before you have another". I wasn´t even offended. :D

My name is Leif and there is a Leica R4 in the mail.:wtf:

leif e

Seascape

Graham, I wonder if you'd have had all those 35's going and coming if you had bought a 35 Lux instead.

I bit the bullet recently and sold my 10 year old 'cron for a chrome Lux, and I'm now at ease......finally :thumbup:

geesbert

two 35 lux, two 50 lux, two 35 asph, three elmar 50 latest.
had all the lenses for my M6 kit, sold them when I stopped using film, bought them again with the m8...

jklotz

two 35 lux, two 50 lux, two 35 asph, three elmar 50 latest.
had all the lenses for my M6 kit, sold them when I stopped using film, bought them again with the m8...
Best advice Michael Richman (sp?) ever said, back in 07' was it?: "I sold the M8, but I'd recommend holding onto the M glass..."

darkspark

Buying my latest M8, I declared myself ready to become a one-camera-man...
I think most of us can relate to that... more than once, actually... (me included)... :toocool: thinking that:
- this body/system is going to last me a few years (or more)...
- this lens is going to be "it" and I'm not going to want anything more, why would I?
...but it's never like that, is it?

And it's getting worse and worse with digital bodies... technology changes every minute... So many things to buy... not enough money :cry::cry:

We need to start a club... (and maybe interventions? :p )