The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody want to share some embarrassing moments

Well.. it would have been embarrassing if I had killed myself... some years back I had my big bag of camera gear and tripod, and was at Castle Rock park near the end of the day. I wanted a shot of the red sunset light on Castle Rock Falls, so I climbed down to the bottom, and I took my pics. By the time I put the gear away, it was almost dark and I would have had to hike quite a way downstream to meet up with the trail(and probably would have missed it in the failing light), then as I recall it would have been at least a couple of miles back to the parking lot. Instead I started climbing straight up the side of the gorge, hoping to strike the trail a bit west of the platform over the falls and get there while there was still light. It was probably 100-150 feet up, but it felt like 5 miles. It was too steep to climb on my feet, I hauled myself up by grabbing onto brush, roots, rocks, etc. on all fours. I had a few close calls when handholds or footholds gave way, the heavy bag on my back almost tipped me over backward a couple of times, I almost dropped the tripod a couple of times, but I made it to the trail with the last little bit of light. I made it back to the car in almost pitch darkness, having to stop many times and use the test button on my flash(squinting to avoid killing my night vision completely) to find my way.

As I got into my car a ranger gave me a mild scolding for being in the park after hours, but I had visions of how stupid it would have looked if someone found me dead in a pile of camera gear at the bottom of the gorge, or ran into me stumbling through the woods trying to find my way with a flash. BTW, I religiously carry a flashlight on this sort of outing now. :D

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Just south of Cardston, Alberta, Hwy 504 parallels the Canada/US border. I stopped my truck camper close to a wetland with a magnificent view of Chief Mountain, Glacier Nat'l Park, MT.

I climbed up on the roof (12 ft) with my beautiful Gitzo and expensive ball head and made a three shot pano with my P45+. When I was done, I detached the camera and handed it down to my wife so I could use both hands on the ladder back to terra firma.

The 8 foot pano was a huge success.

But I can never look at it without wondering who found my Gitzo lying on somewhere on Hwy 504 later that day.....I didn't even miss it for several hours and figure it would probably have been run over by a transport by the time I turned round and went back for it.

But if any reader from Cardston found a top of the line Gitzo - I'll pay for shipping and a reward!

Bill

PeterA

A few years back I finally talked someone into me making a few shots - some alcohol was involved. I then made what I knew some of the best portrait shots I had ever made because the light was great and the mood was good..

then next morning I tried to get the roll out of my Leica M3 - only discover that all the shots made were made on a camera with no film in it...I have still not gotten over it.

bavanor

Back in 1992 or 1993 me and my college roommates went on a hike up to the top of Boulder Mountain in the Sawtooth National Forest of Idaho. I had the trusty nikon f2 with me and was firing off all kinds of great photos in both B&W and color. I was the only one to make it to the top of the mountain, where I took even more great photos of the landscape and something to show my roommates what they missed.

I remember being petrified on the climb down at one point. I couldn't move left or right because my backpack was pushing me off of the cliff. Finally with some advice from my roommate down below I made it out (I swear to this day it was from mind power alone).

I get back from the trip, develope all of the film only to find them all over or underexposed because the battery for the light meter ran out of power. I still have not gone on that hike again.

T

tokengirl

A few years back I finally talked someone into me making a few shots - some alcohol was involved. I then made what I knew some of the best portrait shots I had ever made because the light was great and the mood was good..

then next morning I tried to get the roll out of my Leica M3 - only discover that all the shots made were made on a camera with no film in it...I have still not gotten over it.
She was prolly greatly relieved. :LOL: