The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody want to share some embarrassing moments

David K

Workshop Member
Just had a dandy myself. Down at the beach around sunset with my tripod and MF kit all set up just far enough (I thought) from the water. Looking thru the viewfinder I see the foam of the last breaking wave coming at me fast. Stand up quick, lift the tripod/camera and start back-pedaling fast. Must have backed into a sand mound and fall flat on my back... tripod and camera held high... while the wave washes over me. There were a bunch of folks watching the "professional guy with the tripod and big camera" who, I am absolutely sure, were laughing on the inside. Slunk off the beach (with my tail between my legs) soaking wet... but at least the camera stayed dry :D

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David,

Glad you saved the gear -- it takes longer to get repaired than your pride. Normally I wouldn't laugh at this happening to anybody, but then I know you personally, so...

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

David K

Workshop Member
Jack,
You'll appreciate the irony of having this happen after all that talk about the S2 and weather sealing. I think I'm the one that needs the sealing, not the camera :)

Don Libby

I slipped going down a muddy embankment going into Avalanche Creek (Glacier National Park) a couple years ago. I was still using 35mm as my primary capture and while slipping and sliding down into the icy water I landed on my backside with a huge rock right between my legs at a critical junction all the while managing to keep the camera held above my head as the very cold waters swirled around me. I managed to get back out soak and wet however I did save the gear.

So David – been there done that and have the t-shirt! Sandy just reminded me she has it on film!

Okay Jack – fuss up :ROTFL::ROTFL:

Don

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
David,

Glad you saved the gear -- it takes longer to get repaired than your pride. Normally I wouldn't laugh at this happening to anybody, but then I know you personally, so...

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
I can just see it Jack. I would be rolling in the sand laughing my *** off.

David maybe you should get one of those weather sealed thingy's.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Running out to send you those heavy duty garbage industrial strength water sealed highly designed fully functional fit everything in it trash bags. Cost 3.26 with tax:D

Too funny and made up for my stupidity and 350 dollar later dumb *** mistake. Long story and I would just spit blood if I told it. Is it too early to start drinking

T

tokengirl

It happened right here. The famed Snake Bight in Everglades National Park.

We decided to rent a canoe for the day to sneak up into some ultra shallow areas at low tide, too shallow for the flats boat. We loaded up the cooler, mosquito repellent, a couple of fishing rods, and my brand new dSLR in a waterproof bag.

There were a lot of fish, and nice ones too. I hooked a monster snook that was sitting about three feet in front of the canoe, and she wasn't happy about it. She started towing the canoe down the little creek, but finally gave in. When I got her near the boat, I reached into my bag to grab my camera. So I had my rod in my left hand and my camera in my right, when my better half decided to lean over to grab the fish.

Turns out that leaning over in a canoe is a bad idea. Doing it in Snake Bight is an even worse idea, because when you land, you're going to sink about three feet into the muck.

So we are firmly planted in this muck up to the cracks of our butts, the canoe has now righted itself but is full of water, I have a fishing rod in one hand and my camera is being held above my head in the other, I'm laughing my butt off, by better half is inventing new cuss words, and there is a giant snook swimming around in the canoe.

In the process of getting back into the canoe, I lost a shoe in the muck. We were pretty much covered in this grey, slimy muck. My pockets were full of the stuff. And back at the boat ramp, I could tell by the look on her face that the canoe rental lady had seen it all before.

It was a long, quiet ride home.:ROTFL:

So now we have a Canon G10 with a waterproof housing. it has officially been dubbed "The Canoe-Cam".

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Okay Jack – fuss up :ROTFL::ROTFL:
Well okay... I was shooting by myself in Zion. Early one morning, I headed down along the Virgin River wash area near the top end of the park. It was Fall, and there was this confluence of brush on fire with colors across a small side creek. The creek was dry so I proceeded across it with my pack full of gear on my back and my new tripod in my hand -- this was back when Gitzo first came out with CF, so this was my first 3-series CF pod, and it was expensive. Just as I hit the half-way point across the side creek, I hit a batch of quicksand -- yeah really -- and immediately sunk to my knees in sticky sand. Didn't know sand could suck you like muc, but take it from me, it does. Anyway, knowing the movies showing people slowly sinking and disappearing were totally false Hollywood antics, I tried to "walk" my way out. All that happened was I sunk another 2 inches, tried it again, sunk another 2 inches --- hmmm, starting to look just like the old Hollywood movies. So I stand still for a few seconds thinking and watch my legs get another inch shorter... About now I figure it's time to act. I remember one Hollywood movie where Tarzan tells somepoor schmuck to "swim" out of the quicksand, so I figure WTF. I quickly take my pack off and hurl it to the dry bank -- all of 8 feet away mind you, but an 8 feet I cannot traverse. So now for the humiliation --- I lay down in the muck and try to swim crawl out. Well, the sand has a solid hold on me and I cannot make any forward progress, but at least I'm no longer sinking. Oh, the Gitzo... It's still being held high above the sand in one hand so as not to get it dirty, wet or sandy. It is also the only tool I have -- no branches to grab, nothing but what looks like perfectly dry sand all around me. So in a flash, the new Gitzo becomes a three legged spike. I shove the legs into the ground ahead of me and pull myself toward shore. I have to repeat this three times before I can pull one of my own legs free and get it on solid enough ground to get my other one un-stuck.
Back in the hotel, I rinse everything off in the tub, fouling maybe a dozen towels, have to disassemble each leg of the Gitzo, rinse the internals and locking screws off, dry them and reassemble them. About a 2 hour project and that pod always felt "gritty" on the lock knobs after that.

David K

Workshop Member
I'm feeling better about my mishap already... guess misery loves company. Can't wait to hear Guy's story :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
REALLY LONG story in extremely short form. I gave the wrong serial number for my DF upgrade and almost had to send it back . Luckily the person I sold the old body too still had it and I sent him mine he sent in his to Phase with the right serial number for me. Royal screw up on my part and I just made it up to him for his kindness.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
... Just as I hit the half-way point across the side creek, I hit a batch of quicksand -- yeah really -- and immediately sunk to my knees in sticky sand. Didn't know sand could suck you like muc, but take it from me, it does. Anyway, knowing the movies showing people slowly sinking and disappearing were totally false Hollywood antics, I tried to "walk" my way out. All that happened was I sunk another 2 inches, tried it again, sunk another 2 inches --- hmmm, starting to look just like the old Hollywood movies. So I stand still for a few seconds thinking and watch my legs get another inch shorter... About now I figure it's time to act. I remember one Hollywood movie where Tarzan tells somepoor schmuck to "swim" out of the quicksand, so I figure WTF. I quickly take my pack off and hurl it to the dry bank -- all of 8 feet away mind you, but an 8 feet I cannot traverse. So now for the humiliation --- I lay down in the muck and try to swim crawl out. Well, the sand has a solid hold on me and I cannot make any forward progress, but at least I'm no longer sinking. Oh, the Gitzo... It's still being held high above the sand in one hand so as not to get it dirty, wet or sandy. It is also the only tool I have -- no branches to grab, nothing but what looks like perfectly dry sand all around me. So in a flash, the new Gitzo becomes a three legged spike. I shove the legs into the ground ahead of me and pull myself toward shore. I have to repeat this three times before I can pull one of my own legs free and get it on solid enough ground to get my other one un-stuck ...
Hee hee - I have an almost identical story but in the middle of the meadow across from the chapel in Yosemite. In my case it was last February after a particularly picturesque snow storm overnight and I was walking across what turned out to be 1ft snow, a thick ice layer, another 1ft snow, another ice layer and then the bottom layer of snow/frozen vegetation.

For the first 30ft all was well and it was just a wander through the snow. Suddenly it's 'crack' and I dropped a ft or so and was up to my knees and was now starting to flail about through the snow. Then, 'crack' again and now it's thigh deep but really tough to break through to move - every climb up out of the snow/ice would get me to the next layer up but then 'crack' and down again. Finally I'm up to my waist and figure what the heck - set up the tripod & camera and shoot the lifting mist & snow and the scenery but from my new waist deep nest in the snow. Now I have to get back out to the path before I freeze my balls off so I end up having to throw the backpack forwards a few feet and ended up almost having to do the same pathetic swimming motion to push through the powder. Every step forward was a climb up followed by a crack and drop back down as the ice layers broke. I tried the crawl, the hop, the ice-breaker (crack the ice/snow in front & try to barge through it), even the swim/snow angel impression ...

I decide then to use my CF Gitzo as a staff - BIG mistake. Firstly, it turns out that Gitzo tripod leg cement isn't great at 5f ... one of the legs starts to get loose and then finally drops off. I launch it like a javelin to the 'shore'. Next, it turns out that CF gets brittle when cold enough too - 'crack' - suddenly the bottom 6in of my $700 tripod looks like a shark just ravaged it and there's the equivalent of the bloody stump left. Somewhere out in that meadow I'm sure there was wonderment in the spring about the chunk of CF tubing sticking out of the ground.

So, after about 15 minutes of rolling around, clambering, flailing arms, cursing, sweating, grunting, groaning and finally stupid laughter, I manage to reach the edge of the meadow, fence and the safety of footpath. Of course, my shooting buddy has been watching me all this time laughing his head off and offering helpful 'advice'. :toocool:

So, nett result was only a half decent shot, a one & half leg tripod and an extremely chilly snow bath. :ROTFL:

(Btw, this is a good advertisement for Gitzo standing behind their products because they fixed my tripod - replacing the legs, one for free and the other snapped one on my dime for a total good as new tripod for $120. :thumbs:)

Then there was the sunset of a lifetime shot in Sydney with the Opera house & bridge behind it taken at the botanical gardens with my XPan outfit. Fifteen minutes of carefully hand metered shooting ... with the lens cap on. :ROTFL: :thumbdown:

Lisa

Can I share one that directly involves my camera but not me? Embarrassing for the spouse...

We were hiking up to the top of Nevada Falls in Yosemite, on a ledge section between a cliff downward and a cliff upward, with occasional little seasonal streams across it that you need to either jump or get your boots wet in about two inches of water. The spouse was carrying the small camera bag. He slipped in one of the little streams, and fell on his back in the middle of the stream with the camera bag under him, about ten feet away from the downward cliff edge. I expected him to get up, but he didn't, he was just lying there like a turtle on its back, and I was wondering, "Is he seriously hurt?" He then said something along the lines of, "Excuse me, how far am I from the drop-off?" He didn't want to move because he wasn't sure whether he would tumble over the edge if he did! I reassured him there was plenty of space between him and the edge, he got up, and he was fine. The camera body never worked again from the impact or the water, though the lens was OK...

Lisa

John Grow

I was driving through Yellowstone in November 5 years ago. Yellowstone was just in the process of getting a snow storm but it had been sleeting and freezing for a couple hours already. I was warned at the gate there were a number of really slick places in the park.

As I was driving around I was amazed that I didn’t find any slick parts. Driving up this slight hill I noticed the trees on the right had some sun streaks showing through with some snow showers that looked very promising. Pulled the SUV to the right, grabbed the camera and jumped out the door. Immediately both feet went forward as I went backward bashing my (normally thick) head on the roadbed knocking me out cold.

When I awoke, there was a crowd of people (couple rangers and some good Samaritans) around me trying to wake me. I tried to sit up and noticed that I was laying about 40 feet down the hill from my SUV and on the other side of the road. I asked where my camera was, the rangers said it was safe in their truck and they had a terrible time prying it from my hands even though I was out cold. I Was laying in a huge puddle of blood and a ranger was holding a snowy towel to my head. I had an enormous headache.

Apparently when I fell I knocked myself out and slid all the way down the hill and across the road, but NEVER LET GO OF MY CAMERA!! I had to be driven out of the park because they wouldn’t let me drive.

Nine stitches and two days later I was on my way again. How I did not get run over by a car or freeze to death I’ll never know.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
David

I send you "Surf s Up" greeting and you almost drown?

I have done this as well as its easy to get fooled by the waves. Especially exciting if you have a full bag of equipment siting on the sand behind you.

Things could have been worse ..you could have been using your Broncolor lights!

Lars

Jack, great story!

I was on the beach in Carmel with my model friend Lisa, shooting with three Nikon flashes on light stands. Eventually Lisa asks me if water is good for flashes - I had placed one of the flashes in the breaking waves and of course it fell over and fritzed.

One spring weekend 2006 I went with Tom Tworek to Pinnacles State Park south of San Jose, CA - I think maybe you were there Jack? - brought the big heavy Toyo 8x10 monorail. We had hiked for two hours or so when I set up the camera. Then I realized I forgot to bring film. I was so embarrassed but hid my mistake, didn't tell anyone until now.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Jack, great story!

I was on the beach in Carmel with my model friend Lisa, shooting with three Nikon flashes on light stands. Eventually Lisa asks me if water is good for flashes - I had placed one of the flashes in the breaking waves and of course it fell over and fritzed.

One spring weekend 2006 I went with Tom Tworek to Pinnacles State Park south of San Jose, CA - I think maybe you were there Jack? - brought the big heavy Toyo 8x10 monorail. We had hiked for two hours or so when I set up the camera. Then I realized I forgot to bring film. I was so embarrassed but hid my mistake, didn't tell anyone until now.
Lars,

I ran out the other day to shoot a tree behind the house with my Alpa/H3DII 39 back....set up with tripod so I left the bag in the house. Fired the shutter and stared at the back...nothing...nothing.

No sync cable. Of course it was in the back so back to the house. Glad it was a short hike to the house.:ROTFL:

Bad news is I have done stuff like this before...

So I am very thankful for every decent capture I have.

Bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Reminds me of my first major photo adventure....

In 1971 I went to Paraguay as an exchange student for three months...

Bought a Mamiya 500 DTL with a couple of lenses and two rolls of 35mm film with a Watson bulk loader. Never seen one before.

I arrived in Rio and checked into the hotel...decided if I wanted to take pictures I needed to wind on some film. There was a wardrobe/armoire in the room that was the only dark place I could find. I waited until night climbed in and began to wind on a few cassettes of 35...I say a few as about the third one I heard a "CRACK" and the bottom fell out of the wardrobe/armoire....light was pouring in the bottom....

Ended up loading in another place ... after I repaired the wardrobe/armoire.

Returned home with some 3000 slides....2/3 of which had been loaded backwards.:ROTFL:

Bob

B

buzzardkid

so, I ended up here while looking for a thread to introduce myself and thought, what the heck, if I introduce myself in this thread, things can only improve from there:ROTFL:

So here goes: I got a rather new-to-me Horseman 970. It´s a lotsa-snow landscape here at the moment, rather rare event in the Netherlands. So, I took the dog for a walk in the woods and the Horseman with me.

As I got to the camerashop and opened the roll film back, I was looking at the black inside of the 120/roll backing paper. Apparently I installed the roll the wrong way round when loading the camera. As a result I shot 8 brilliant snowland sunrise shots on the backing paper... :bugeyes:

Thank God I proceeded with the 6x9 Bessa RF once the Horseman ran out of film. I have at least four decet shots to look out to.

Introduction: Started out in photography eight years ago with a Minolta Dynax, moved on to Nikons, then Fuji S1, Fuji S3, Nikon D300, Leica M8 and then abandoned digital. Current gear in the signature, I'm a B&W home processor. Color film, (cross-processed) slides I have developed in town. Scanning myself with a Minolta ScanDual IV and an old Epson GT-7000 Photo for 6x6 and 6x9. Outdoor, ambient-light, amateur-model photography is my thing.

Last edited: