The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Have we reached the demise of E-6?

routlaw

Been thinking lately about working with transparency film (MF & LF) again but seeing the loss of E-6 Labs around the country (US) which seem to be dropping like flies by the month, have we reached the end of the road for this venue?

Be interested to see what others are experiencing or thinking about this. For me it means shipping exposed film at least two states away for processing, fedex charges, long waits etc.

Thanks

Rob

Last edited:
I'm considering switching to C-41, something I concluded a while ago made sense (dynamic range, processing availablity, possibly home-processing, cost, etc). I've been having to mail my E-6 due to both local processors going out of the business (one totally closing). I expect I'll use up the E-6 in the freezer, then switch to something like Ektar for MF and/or Portra for MF and LF.

I will miss laying out those chromes on the light table!

Rick

routlaw

I'm considering switching to C-41, something I concluded a while ago made sense (dynamic range, processing availablity, possibly home-processing, cost, etc). I've been having to mail my E-6 due to both local processors going out of the business (one totally closing). I expect I'll use up the E-6 in the freezer, then switch to something like Ektar for MF and/or Portra for MF and LF.

I will miss laying out those chromes on the light table!

Rick
Thanks Rick. Just curious do you do any stock photo sales from C-41? Fine art prints? I would have thought C-41 might be at the end of the road too, apparently not? Anyway interesting conclusion you have made.

Rob

Rob,

no sales. There are a goodly number of fine art photographers who already use C-41 and think it is superior to E-6. Are you familiar with Tim Parkin, a U.K.-based LF photographer who has a wonderful website and blog? (http://www.timparkin.co.uk/) He's got one or more postings on his tests with C-41 film.

Hard to believe how quickly things are changing- I guess we lived off the fat of the land the past few years and are hitting the wall now.

Rick

routlaw

Rob,

no sales. There are a goodly number of fine art photographers who already use C-41 and think it is superior to E-6. Are you familiar with Tim Parkin, a U.K.-based LF photographer who has a wonderful website and blog? (http://www.timparkin.co.uk/) He's got one or more postings on his tests with C-41 film.

Hard to believe how quickly things are changing- I guess we lived off the fat of the land the past few years and are hitting the wall now.

Rick
Well for sure C-41 is more forgiving, wider latitude film. I must have a hangover from the heyday of film in commercial work when working with color negs just did not cut it. It was a world setup for transparencies. Looked at Parkins website and did find some comparisons, pretty interesting. I can certainly see some potential advantages assuming you can get a good scan. That was bit more difficult in the past. Is it actually easier to find C-41 labs compared to E-6?

Thanks for the heads up on this. Certainly worth looking into when the scan back is not an option.

Rob