The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Testing the Leica M9 Book . . and Alzheimer's

jonoslack

Hi there
I've been working on a Blurb book of photographs taken while testing the Leica M9.

Terry Banet has been really helpful proof-reading and commenting, and Guy has kindly agreed to let me publicise it here.

Finally it's finished!

Field Testing the Leica M9

There is a full preview on the Blurb site - I'll be putting up a pdf file on my website later on.

We had our final copy delivered the other day, and I think it looks splendid (of course I might not be entirely unbiased :ROTFL:).

I don't want to make any money out of it myself, but I have put a £5.00 profit on each book, to go to the Alzheimer's Research Foundation.

It appears that although there is quite a lot of hope of finding ways of preventing or stopping Alzheimer's disease, the funding is very poor compared to other diseases - I guess that sick elderly people just aren't very sexy. Let's hope none of us suffer from it, but if it isn't fixed, then the costs of supporting all those Baby Boomer's when they lose their marbles will affect us all.:eek:

Anyway, Here is their website:

Alzheimer's Research Foundation

I've elected for the payment from the book to go directly to the foundation (so that I don't need to collect it and pass it on).

All the best

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
This is whole heartedly supported by the GetDPI family so please support Jono's efforts here to help fund Alzheimer's Research. Thanks Everyone

Terry

I've ordered my copy even though Jono gives too much credit above!
I think it is fun to have photo books from friends I've met and "talk" to everyday on the web.

I still think it is amazing that the current state of technology allows us to order books on demand.

V

Vivek

Awesome, Jono!:thumbs:

Thanks for providing the link to Alzheimer research site!:)

jonoslack

I've ordered my copy even though Jono gives too much credit above!
Not a bit of it - you've been really helpful, not just in the making of the book either!

I think it is fun to have photo books from friends I've met and "talk" to everyday on the web.

I still think it is amazing that the current state of technology allows us to order books on demand.
Isn't it great - Silas calls it 'vanity publishing' but at least you don't end up with 500 copies in the garage!

all the best

Knorp

Wow - that was a quicky ! Ordered the 15th and received the book today.
Now if you thought Jono's photos are beautiful on your screen, trust me - you should see them in print !
Breathtakingly wonderful :bugeyes:

Jono, I don't know whether this is your first photo album or not, I think it's really something to be proud of: job well done :thumbs:

However one thing is bothering me: if only I could have it signed ... :ROTFL:

Did I say I like it ? You bet I like it !
Kind regards.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Jono, i never was a real Leica shooter nor will potentially be in the foreseeable future.
Though, just rewarding your efforts documenting the new camera (heck of a job) before anyone else and the great associated gesture ("I guess that sick elderly people just aren't very sexy"), instead of ordering a couple of probably useless accessories i just odered the book.

Looking forward to it!

jonoslack

Jono, i never was a real Leica shooter nor will potentially be in the foreseeable future.
Though, just rewarding your efforts documenting the new camera (heck of a job) before anyone else and the great associated gesture ("I guess that sick elderly people just aren't very sexy"), instead of ordering a couple of probably useless accessories i just odered the book.

Looking forward to it!
HI There Corlan
Thank you so much - I do hope that you enjoy it. It was a lot of fun to make.
As for the gesture - I made the decision not to go professional around 3 years ago (I did think hard).
I've had lots of discussions about the ethics of working 'for free', and come to the general conclusion that it's not okay (i.e. it's not fair on real photographers). So the right thing to do seems to be to make small amounts of money and hand it on to worthwhile causes.
I'm actually planning some other books later on - and I'll be doing the same kind of thing with those as well.

all the best

jonoslack

Wow - that was a quicky ! Ordered the 15th and received the book today.
Now if you thought Jono's photos are beautiful on your screen, trust me - you should see them in print !
Breathtakingly wonderful :bugeyes:

Jono, I don't know whether this is your first photo album or not, I think it's really something to be proud of: job well done :thumbs:

However one thing is bothering me: if only I could have it signed ... :ROTFL:

Did I say I like it ? You bet I like it !
Kind regards.
Phew!
HI Bart . . . I was dreading someone coming back and saying :wtf: this is rubbish!

You've made me go all wibbly wobbly (especially having seen your wonderful work over the years)! Yes, it is my first book, what pushed me in to it was the need to do some wedding books, and this then seemed like a fun idea. There will be more!

As for signing it - I'll be in Holland next month, so maybe it'd be an excuse to meet up for a drink?

all the best

jonoslack

Wanna meet me in Ireland in August to sign mine :D Hey I'm meeting you way more than halfway :p
LOL - sounds like a great idea. I'm ashamed to say I've never been to Ireland. If we can get the puppy chipped by then, we might easily come over for a weekend (I have a neice who lives there). Whereabouts are you going?

all the best

Robert Campbell

Actually, I'm doing a photo workshop with Peter Cox. We will be in the Southwest starting and ending from Shannon. I may spend a couple of days but I haven't really organized myself yet.
Yes, I saw the trip through photographyireland; looks enticing -- I've been to most parts before.

Give a thought to a couple of extra days to chill out -- with Jono, the dog and me!