The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First real camera

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Looking on a film thread on the M system made me think back some. So just for fun what was your first REAL 35mm film camera. Now i will date myself here . Minolta SRT 101 back in 1973. I remember my older brother by 8 years had a Pentax but not sure what model.

W

wbrandsma

Somewhere around 1984 I got my first real camera. A Pentor Super TL with M42 lensmount.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
1972, a Pentax rangefinder of some sort, I remember it had a stick meter in the viewfinder. I have no clue what the model was.

H

Haya

It was around 1993 for me in high school I got a Canon EOS 10.

simonclivehughes

Wow, Memory Lane! I remember the first camera I had was a Zeiss Ikon 120 rangefinder that my Dad gave me in about 1964. My first 35mm camera was an Asahi Pentax Spotmatic of some generation which I probably got in the late '60s.

Cheers,

jlm

Workshop Member
i lusted after a kodak way back when, but the first dough I laid out was for an Olympus Pen-D, a half-frame, back in 1962, sort of a 35mm. it got 72 pics per roll, and you went blind looking at the contact proofs. next was a Yashica-Mat 124 with the enforced luxury of 12 shots per roll, my medium format entree.

M

matmcdermott

First real camera, Pentax K1000 in probably 1995. First Leica, M6TTL 1999. A rapid progression certainly. I took to photography very quickly.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
My first take pictures camera was either a polaroid or took 110 film; but my first real camera was the Canon Rebel G when I was in college. I got it 2 days before my first international trip.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
My first 35mm was a Canon rangefinder (Canonet 28) which I purchased in 1977. A year later, I bought a new Pentax K1000, and kept it for the next 20 years.:ROTFL:

harmsr

Workshop Member
My first one was a Canon T70 with 35-70 & 75-200 zooms. To tell the truth, I still miss this camera as I had sooooo much fun with it.

Best,

Ray

Terry

Weird I can remember using my mother's Pentax spotmatic and we also had a Rolliflex TLR but I can't remember what I first used that I could call my own.

woodyspedden

Argus C3 in 1957. Replaced it later with the C4, started down a slippery slope that continues til today. Wish I had as many great images as i have had cameras! LOL

Woody

Greg Lockrey

Believe it or not it was an M4 in 1971 which I still use. I had a Bell and Howell AutoReflex T but that isn't a "real" camera.