The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

bang bang

cam

A first time for everything :ROTFL::ROTFL:
LOL! you took the words out of my mouth!!!:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Maggie was seriously excellent with telephone support, though. bisous for that. a picture's worth a thousand words (and tears), eh?

cam

Re: Wrong end of the scalpel again

Cam, your before and after pix show impo an excellent anatomical result.
My titanium-mongery is out - I don't have any other pix here - and I don't do 'product photos' as you can see :)
Good luck and success with the physio.
thank you, Bertie. figures you had the best of everything. i didn't even get ti :cry:

how long did it take you to get over the removal surgery? how long until the bones filled in? i realise my surgery was slightly different -- one plate was directly under the tricep and the other above the ulnar nerve (one of the screws was embedded in the bone and had to be dug out. i also have developed a real attractive case of bursitis. the middle of my scar jiggles as i walk. very sexy!

as for your product photo -- it was perfect. i'd much rather you make the beautiful images you do than be a spot on screw guy ;)

Robert Campbell

Re: Wrong end of the scalpel again

thank you, Bertie. figures you had the best of everything. i didn't even get ti :cry:

how long did it take you to get over the removal surgery? how long until the bones filled in? i realise my surgery was slightly different -- one plate was directly under the tricep and the other above the ulnar nerve (one of the screws was embedded in the bone and had to be dug out. i also have developed a real attractive case of bursitis. the middle of my scar jiggles as i walk. very sexy!

as for your product photo -- it was perfect. i'd much rather you make the beautiful images you do than be a spot on screw guy ;)
Cam,

Sorry about the stainless steel - I had both ops done in Switzerland, where money is no problem - and anyway the UK National Health Service paid both times :)

The plates etc were removed about 1 year after the original; I had developed an 'impingement syndrome' - and the bigger plate sat too high up on the greater trochanter - they also did a laparoscopic sub-acromial decompression - so I could put my hand in my trouser pocket again.

The removal was nothing compared to the first; I had it done as a day case, and it wasn't really sore, more uncomfortable. Most discomfort settled soon after removal of stitches [no clips please, we are Swiss :)] so you should be able to mobilise soon, and I hope, well - though realistically, when measured there may be some limitation compared with the other side, though there isn't usually functional loss.

One downside of plate removal is relative bone weakness; it's usually suggested that you don't do sports for three months while the bones strengthen [anyway, keep away from the roller blades].

The screw holes will fill in with fibrous tissue, but may never properly ossify - this doesn't seem to matter. Your supracondylar # [did you fracture the olecranon at the same time, or was this surgical access?] doesn't look to be associated with much bone loss, so I would hope that you would make a very good recovery. The olecranon bursitis will hopefully settle spontaneously.

Good luck!

cam

Bertie,

tried to find the piece of paper that said what i broke, but can't find yet. i feel very ashamed at my ignorance. i was so out of it when it happened and was in enough pain that i almost stole a wheel chair meant for a pregnant woman in emergency as i knew i would not be able to walk more than a few feet (yes, that much pain!) three hours later, after a miserable experience in the x-ray room (where i kicked an intern who was trying to move my arm after i said "stop"), they just stared at me stunned that i was still conscious or not screaming. they shot be up with Demerol, morphine, and anything else they could find. i was simply told that i'd broken my elbow badly in three places and they told me how lucky i was that the bones weren't sticking out of my skin or had severed an artery.

i will not roller blade, trust me, ever again! i would like to ride my bike again, but will likely replace my SPDs for regular pedals initially. unfortunately, it's a racing bike and reaching the gears is still very painful and difficult. but that's a couple of months down the line and i will limit myself to cycling along the river rather than in city traffic. i'm already taking some homeopathic remedies to help heal the bones and would be happy if you have any further suggestions.

your break was different than mine, and usually there is some functional loss with an elbow break. i've worked very hard to overcome that. the fact that it has healed off-access is causing strain on my tendons and accounts for much of the pain. the worst part, of course, is the area near the ulnar nerve trauma during surgery (but luckily i do have sensation in my fingers). the area around the olecranon and above is still numb from the surgery, though i have started to get what i call "birthing pains," a reawakening of the nerves in the area (initially, it took about nine months to come back). my doctor is not that concerned about my weak grip, etc., as he said there was a lot of moving of the muscles to remove the plates (they snipped the tricep during the initial surgery -- that's what the wires were for).

i was with a friend today, going a little mad that i'm still decapitating people and listing to the right when shooting from the hip. he asked why i didn't just shoot with the other hand, and i explained that i was working on teaching my muscles whilst they healed, pain be damned. if, after a few months, i still have this problem, i will give in and go southpaw. i'm maybe just being a stubborn twit on this :eek:

again, thank you for knowledge and support.

eta: last surgery was in paris and the doctor cleaned up my scar and gave me self-dissolving stitches. one piece didn't dissolve, though, but my physio guy was able to pull it out (a few inches). regardless, it will look very purty when it heals ;)

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Bertie,

tried to find the piece of paper that said what i broke, but can't find yet... would be happy if you have any further suggestions.

(they snipped the tricep during the initial surgery -- that's what the wires were for).

again, thank you for knowledge and support.

eta: last surgery was in paris and the doctor cleaned up my scar and gave me self-dissolving stitches. one piece didn't dissolve, though, but my physio guy was able to pull it out (a few inches). regardless, it will look very purty when it heals ;)
Cam,

I've retired from all this now - I was instantaneously retired after the fracture - and I'm sure you realise that I wouldn't want to interfere or offer advice contrary to your [excellent] surgeons. [This is called a legal disclaimer, I believe :)]

I suspect that you had a bad supra-condylar fracture of the lower humerus, and that to gain access to this the olecranon was divided ['snipping the triceps', which is attached to the olecranon, at the tip of the elbow] and repaired not just with the pins, but with a 'tension band wire' - been there, and seen it done it [no T-shirt :)]. This is a nasty break, and you were lucky not to have any arterial damage. And I sympathise with your experiences in the ER - there is a wonderful quote from Gandhi about this, something to the effect that patients are the reason for our work, not an interruption to it, yet so often people are simply treated as 'problems', not people with problems.

You should make a very good recovery. But you may end up like me; I never had the range of movements at the elbow [or wrists] that my contemporaries had - even as a kid I could not do hand stands - though I never found this much of a problem.

I found that the funny feelings around the scar of the incision took several months to settle, and even now I'm aware of it, but only when I look for it.

The dissolving stitches sometimes take a few months to dissolve - no problem usually pulling them out earlier.

Movement and activity seems to be key now, they say 'no pain, no gain' - not that it did much for me :mad:

I'd be happy to offer any advice/help/explanations. Feel free to PM or email me.

Best wishes