The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stuck on Malta

Lars

I flew down the day before the eruption for a friend's 50th birthday, looks like I'm stuck down here. No clients this coming week, and there are of course worse places to be. :) I was supposed to fly home today, have rebooked a flight a week from now. If that doesn't pan out then it's time to start thinking about ferries and trains.

I brought the D700 and G11, but no chargers. Back to making every frame count.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Sounds like a great opportunity to take some photos. Don't you think it should be possible to find chargers on Malta?

Have a great volcanic holiday :)

V

Vivek

Lars, All TV channels, news outlets, etc are claiming "pollution" from the volcano eruption. Total nonsense.

They grounded all the planes and for the first time I could see clear skies and all the stars in the Hague (despite the lights in the city), last night.

Enjoy it for what it is worth!:)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Oh darn, stuck in Malta again.... Yeah, that totally sucks. At least it's not Lodi! :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Seriously, what a great opportunity. I bet you get several days of battery life if you don't chimp. Shoot with abandon and enjoy the gift!

Jealous in California (and less than 50 miles away from Lodi!),

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I have always considered being stranded at your destination a gift...hard to fault you for the extension.

We are just beginning to unwind reservations for a spring week in Oxford and Edinburgh that was supposed to begin midweek....was so looking forward to
getting out of town.

Bob

Terry

Looks like some flights in Europe are going to start moving. The test flights were all OK.

Lars

I have at least 1000 frames to go on the D700, and another 1500 frames on the G11, so I think I'll be OK.

I brought the Sigma 50/1.4, Nikon 80-200/2.8D and Nikon 20/2.8D. Still enjoying shooting the Sigma wide open :) such a creamy rendering. Friday night I helped a friend shoot a talent show at his daughters' school, about 800 RAW+JPG on the D700 and my first battery is still at 40% remaining.

Yes Jack, this is actually a really great place for some involuntary vacation. Malta oozes with history and old architecture, and there is plenty of exotic subject matter for a northern European. On top of that it's an English-speaking country with a moderate to low price level so it's not a bad place to spend a few days. And the weather is definitely a well-deserved relief from the severe winter we just went through.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Doesn't sound all that bad, Lars. After all It's still rather cold here in Scandinavia.
Enjoy the spring on Malta now that you are more or less forced to spend an extra week there :thumbup:
Wish you could show us a couple of pictures :)
Watch out for a D3/D700 shooter so that you can have your battery charged - or maybe a photo store with demo cameras ... ?

V

Vivek

Totally believable that the volcano cleaned up the air a trifle.:thumbs:

Here is a shot of the Sun (special UV set up) snapped earlier today.

Ben Rubinstein

I live in Jerusalem but work in the UK. I got back from a wedding on Wednesday, day before they closed all air traffic. Miracle as I was supposed to be flying on the Thursday on a cheaper ticket but then something cropped up. Myself and family are incredibly happy I had to fly a day earlier and a bit more expensively!

I have a wedding on the 2nd, I just had an email from the client asking what I'll do if I can't fly, apparently the videographer is also stuck though he's in Tenerife on holiday. The 2nd is an incredibly popular date in the Jewish calendar and finding a photographer who knows the scene and can be on standby is becoming very difficult!

Lars

I got some good urban shots in Valletta today, will post here tomorrow.

My friend Bjorn is setting up a portrait business here so we went scoping for good ambient lighting today. Almost all buildings in Valletta are built from sandstone, so reflected light is bright and warm.