Site Sponsors

Thread: Adorama Rant

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Adorama Rant

Okay time for me to vent. I just can't stand this store and i swore them off a long time ago but i was somewhat desperate to get a part for my Mamiya back. When you buy the Mamiya ZD kit you don't get a cover plate for the back , so if you take it off you have no protective cover which kind of stinks but anyway i went to B&H because when they say in stock it is in stock. Adorama on the other hand say add to cart and you think you may get it from stock but noooooooooooo. I get sorry item out of stock will take 10 to 14 days after i already paid the idiots. Well i am in Puerto Rico than and does not serve my needs at that point. This is one of the main reasons i purchase many small items or any items from B&H if it says in stock than it is 99.9 percent of the time otherwise a computer glitch from to many folks ordering the same time . Happened with the M8 but anyway to my dear friends at Dale Labs and Camera West. i love you guys but fair warning you do not have a setup like B&H with in stock notices than you will burn yourselves. Honestly this is the main reason WHY so many people buy from B&H besides being a good store this part is more important than you think. So my 35 years of heavy buying advice is have this on your new websites. You know this forum will support your stores but do this and make us all very happy. End of rant

David and Sean please take my advice on this with your upcoming websites.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Adorama Rant

Feel the same way.....have sworn off of them as well
    I much prefer B&H / POPFLASH / KEH,,,,, depending on item

One thing to keep in mind
    B&H Employees are Salaried
    Adorama Employees work on Commission

things will get Better /my new mantra
    Helen

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

It is funny that you mention this. On our website the item is in stock unless it says otherwise. But so many folks are used to seeing "In Stock" at you-know-who. So, I already made the request over a week ago for some custom programming to reflect this. I'm justing waiting on the change right now.

You'll see this on the Dale Photo & Digital site very soon. I appreciate the feedback as it confirmed my own feeling, too.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great news David , i have to say it is the most irritating thing when you buy something and you get this e-mail saying sorry your item is backordered and they give you no real option to cancel on the spot. David even if this delays the opening of the store site , i encourage you to have this in place before even opening the site. Start off the correct way for your customers. Than you will have them for life. Honestly the main reason i buy from B&H and after all these years buying from them and as big as they are they know who I am that is how much I have spent there. I am a perfect case study for this function.

BTW we all look forward to your new site and as well as Seans at Camera West. My two favorite places to shop
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree but with one caveat. If you are planning to visit B&H, I would follow a slightly different procedure. They have a warehouse in Brooklyn and sometimes the stock come from there. The website could say in stock but it is not in the store. If you are from out of town and have a limited window of opportunity to shop there I would call ahead about any critical items.

On Adorama, they have also done weird things on new camera arrivals where they price it a little cheaper to get you to order and then whole world starts shipping the item and Adorama isn't.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The site is already up Guy.

You can order anytime you like. We take Visa, MC, Amex, Paypal, Google Checkout... but no kidneys right now.

I'm currently in the process of posting all of our items on the website. It does take time to get hundreds and hundreds of products listed with meaningful descriptions, good quality pictures and accurate tech specs. So, if you check back you'll see more and more items each day.

If you have any feedback on the site, I'd love to hear it. I'm really trying to make our online store as good as it can be.

Thanks,

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David i just realized you are live now. It looks really nice and clean. Nice job. I will look at it some more but I like what I see very much.

Can you take a liver , kidneys are already gone. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW smart move on Paypal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Even though I don't buy anywhere near the amount of gear that Guy does, I do buy an awful lot of stuff on the internet (I live a long way from anything that could be called "metro"). I have had some great experiences and some really bad ones. The really bad ones are (I'm guessing) usually because the buying process is influenced too much by the programmers of the site rather than anyone who's primary goal is customer service/satisfaction.

The best ones anticipate what an online customer wants and streamlines the process for the customer's benefit, not the seller's. One example is any site that requires you to establish an "account" with a user ID and a password before you can proceed to the final checkout. It should strictly be an option. Those little loops in the process can get confusing and if things aren't accepted for some reason ("sorry, your password must be 6 letters in length and have at least two numbers included, please retry") is exactly when I bail out and try someone else.

Just give me my stuff!

p.s. Thanks for the rant Guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Tim and this is a good discussion because i agree this signing thing is a turn off. i don't mind the first time but remember me the second time and don't hit me with a million things to do to get my stuff. Macs and if remember correctly PC do remember your info which is helpful.

But this thread maybe a good discussion on web site stuff like tis and help folks like David and Sean. i know Sean is still in his process to redoing his website also. Advice from us could be very valuable to them and anyone that is listening. I know Tony from Popflash is here also. Which BTW is another great store

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW now B&H has the part so i ordered it but that in stock is the most important feature for me. Now i know it is coming

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They lost my business years ago. Once every five years I do something stupid like order a filter from them. I guess I need to have my lesson refreshed from time to time.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same here Bob . I thought maybe I would get lucky and they would actually have it. Never again

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Same here. Adorama screwed me over about 7 years and they have had none of my business since -- and never will again...

On the flip side, B&H hasn't been perfect either, messing up royally more than once. On the plus, they corrected most of them pretty easily.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim,

I agree with you on this. That is why we chose not to require a customer to register when checking out. It is an option. When you register you have access to previous orders, wish lists, etc. but you don't need to do it. We also let you bybass our checkout all together by using Google Checkout. We felt the more options and user-friendly we are the better it will be for everybody.

Keep the feedback coming!

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey David, just went to your new site. It looks great and loads fast. From the sounds of things, you're just getting it going, but you're off to a good start.

I'll be very interested in the "Used Equipment" area. Probably a section of the site that will require some frequent updating on your part. I'll bet it could be a real draw though.

Best of luck with your new online presence!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David:

I just checked out your web site. Here are the good things I noticed:

-It was quick.

-Well organized

-Able to get the shipping without filling in a bunch of fields.

-Easy drop down boxes for shipping.

The Negatives:

-Doesn't seem to be international shipping (Canada)

-The shipping methods on your site are just the couriers. If you do plan to do international, you should add postal shipping. On small items of lower value, like CF cards, brokerage fees from UPS or Fedex can be $35 or more. The post office charges about $5 for brokerage. B&H figured this one out a few years ago and the Postal method is the first choice when you get to their shipping methods for international.

Robert

DougDolde

I am wondering about these Adorama not in stock and backorder gripes.

I just looked up an item I need and got the full info at the bottom of the page.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem is that their database is out of sync with their inventory too often.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

as an aside, i have had near two decades worth of experience with B&H -- first as a rival, then as a manufacturer who sold to them (pro audio not photo gear). as a rival, i hated them (we were a very small store). as a manufacturer, i adored them. they are as much a pleasure to work with from the other end -- which is why i believe they give such great service. they understand. they work *for* the customer.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i go to adorama when b&h is closed, like the recent 10 day hiatus, for which B&H is notorius. both are closed on saturdays, open sundays. NY locals need a place to drop in on saturdays!

Post Thanks / Like

Adorama will ship E-6 chemistry where as B&H won't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i go to adorama when b&h is closed, like the recent 10 day hiatus, for which B&H is notorius. both are closed on saturdays, open sundays. NY locals need a place to drop in on saturdays!
    This Year ADORAMA was also Closed for the 10 day Holiday...,.,.,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope, it is easier to buy a diamond on 43rd street. NYC is mostly a camera free zone on Saturday (It is written...)
    I had a semiconductor plan in Israel that worked for us once refuse to open a third shift since it is written that you shall not bake bread at night, and since the semiconductor plant baked chips during diffusion, the rabbinical consultant thought that was too close to baking bread to be permitted.
    If they could find a way to sell camera without human intervention and arranged so that a third party might escrow the money until Sunday, then it might be possible.
    -bob

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    If they could find a way to sell camera without human intervention and arranged so that a third party might escrow the money until Sunday, then it might be possible.
    -bob
    Technically they could do that now with the website and choose not to. In the end we all get our equipment and they give plenty of notice of when they will be closed for the holidays that I can live with their decisions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey

Anyone ever heard of "L Fever"? I seriously considered buying one of these a year or 2 ago. Sent an email then but never got a reply...was advertised as New! Uncertain now.
    http://www.etown.co.nz/store/viewItem.asp?idProduct=657
    Just found their web address again. Including the (For New Zealanders) 12.5%GST (tax) thats about US$5100

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bugger it. Just sent them another email. Will see.

Wayne

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I stopped using Adorama years ago but at the first of last Dec. They were the only place in the world (listed on Amazon) as having a B+W 72mm IR Cut filter and in stock. Did order. Was told it would ship in 3-5 days. 20 days later it showed up shipped 1st class on the 15th. I had to get Amazon involved. Adorama would not answer email nor return phone calls. Oh, you need a filter that big for the Canon 50/0.95 on the M8.

My net vendors these days are Amazon (the LLC not vendors), B&H, Popflash and Heavystar for hoods and such.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by waynelake View Post
    Bugger it. Just sent them another email. Will see.

Wayne
    Very fast reply. Asked if new or secondhand + 3 digits of serial.
    "The lens is new and is bought in on an order only basis, as such we have no serial information."