The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

PAUL GRAHAM: "The Unreasonable Apple" (2010)

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
"The point is that we need the smart, erudite and eloquent people in the art world, the clever curators and writers, those who do get it, to take the time to speak seriously about the nature of such photography, and articulate something of its dazzlingly unique qualities, to help the greater art world, and the public itself understand the nature of the creative act..."

PAUL GRAHAM: "The Unreasonable Apple" (2010)

D

DougDolde

Just a bunch of bullsheet intellectual mish mash as far as I am concerned. Who needs this crap ?

Maggie O

Thanks for posting that, John. Graham raises some excellent questions about how photography fits (or doesn't) into the world of "fine art." It's dogged us since the start- I remember being told by a drawing instructor at MCAD that he thought that photographers had no business even setting foot inside an art school, let alone a museum.

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Just a bunch of bullsheet intellectual mish mash as far as I am concerned. Who needs this crap ?
Those who aspire to some day hang in the MOMA.

I think one the greatest failings of most photographers to know art history and critical theory.

Maggie O

I think one the greatest failings of most photographers to know art history and critical theory.
I think that stems, in part, from the attitude that photography isn't an art, so why should anyone waste time learning about those things, after all, there are all these damn kids to shoot this afternoon...

Which is a shame, because those photographers turn into photography's own worst enemy.

kevinparis

"Now this is maybe just an unthinking review, but what it does illustrate is how there remains a sizeable part of the art world that simply does not get photography. They get artists who use photography to illustrate their ideas, installations, performances and concepts, who deploy the medium as one of a range of artistic strategies to complete their work. But photography for and of itself -photographs taken from the world as it is– are misunderstood as a collection of random observations and lucky moments, or muddled up with photojournalism, or tarred with a semi-derogatory ‘documentary’ tag. "
Paul Graham, The unreasonable Apple

He lost me at this point... if there is a big chunk of the "art world" who doesn't get photography... so what? - the art world is a big place and I see all around me evidence that photography is recognised as an art, from the shops full of lovingly crafted books, to exhibitions, major festivals like Arles.

There is no one universal definition of art - to me, in its broadest sense, it is about communicating an emotion - the problem is that we all experience emotions in different ways and always in a constantly changing state.

Art critics are the spawn of the devil - setting themselves up as arbiters of what is and isn't art, telling me what I should feel. Art is what you think is art not what somebody else thinks it is.

Absolutely if you are interested in creating something that aspires to be 'art' then you should study and analyse other works to see if you can understand why that art works for you - there are rules/conventions/shorthands that seem to lead to art that has a broader acceptance at a fundamental emotion level.

then again... what do I know? - I think there is more art in 3 minutes of Anarchy in the UK than in all the opera thats ever existed.

K