Site Sponsors

Thread: PAUL GRAHAM: "The Unreasonable Apple" (2010)

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

PAUL GRAHAM: "The Unreasonable Apple" (2010)

"The point is that we need the smart, erudite and eloquent people in the art world, the clever curators and writers, those who do get it, to take the time to speak seriously about the nature of such photography, and articulate something of its dazzlingly unique qualities, to help the greater art world, and the public itself understand the nature of the creative act..."

PAUL GRAHAM: "The Unreasonable Apple" (2010)

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

DougDolde

Re: PAUL GRAHAM: "The Unreasonable Apple" (2010)

Just a bunch of bullsheet intellectual mish mash as far as I am concerned. Who needs this crap ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting that, John. Graham raises some excellent questions about how photography fits (or doesn't) into the world of "fine art." It's dogged us since the start- I remember being told by a drawing instructor at MCAD that he thought that photographers had no business even setting foot inside an art school, let alone a museum.

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Just a bunch of bullsheet intellectual mish mash as far as I am concerned. Who needs this crap ?
    Those who aspire to some day hang in the MOMA.

I think one the greatest failings of most photographers to know art history and critical theory.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post
    I think one the greatest failings of most photographers to know art history and critical theory.
    I think that stems, in part, from the attitude that photography isn't an art, so why should anyone waste time learning about those things, after all, there are all these damn kids to shoot this afternoon...

Which is a shame, because those photographers turn into photography's own worst enemy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnastovall View Post

Oh, John, I agree so much - if one is going to communicate, then you really need to understand some kind of a language.

Im certainly guilty.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Damn . . . and there was me thinking it was rather good.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"Now this is maybe just an unthinking review, but what it does illustrate is how there remains a sizeable part of the art world that simply does not get photography. They get artists who use photography to illustrate their ideas, installations, performances and concepts, who deploy the medium as one of a range of artistic strategies to complete their work. But photography for and of itself -photographs taken from the world as it is– are misunderstood as a collection of random observations and lucky moments, or muddled up with photojournalism, or tarred with a semi-derogatory ‘documentary’ tag. "
    Paul Graham, The unreasonable Apple

He lost me at this point... if there is a big chunk of the "art world" who doesn't get photography... so what? - the art world is a big place and I see all around me evidence that photography is recognised as an art, from the shops full of lovingly crafted books, to exhibitions, major festivals like Arles.

There is no one universal definition of art - to me, in its broadest sense, it is about communicating an emotion - the problem is that we all experience emotions in different ways and always in a constantly changing state.

Art critics are the spawn of the devil - setting themselves up as arbiters of what is and isn't art, telling me what I should feel. Art is what you think is art not what somebody else thinks it is.

Absolutely if you are interested in creating something that aspires to be 'art' then you should study and analyse other works to see if you can understand why that art works for you - there are rules/conventions/shorthands that seem to lead to art that has a broader acceptance at a fundamental emotion level.

then again... what do I know? - I think there is more art in 3 minutes of Anarchy in the UK than in all the opera thats ever existed.

K