The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flatbed scanner recommendation

Can someone recommend a flatbed scanner to scan old prints and possibly some odd format negs (like the old disk cameras)? This is really a one-time family project, though if the scanner has life/use beyond that would be great.

bensonga

I've had great results with the Epson photo flatbed scanners. Started with a 2450 and I'm now using a V750 Pro. I'm sure you can pick up the older 2450s or even new versions of similar models (such as the 4490) for less than $200. In the $500-$800 range, the V700/V750 are outstanding for both prints and negatives/transparencies. I think there are some very good prices on V700 scanners now.

Gary

Don Libby

I still have an older Epson V750 Pro from when I shot film; now the only use it gets is scanning old prints. I also think there's little difference between the 700 and 750 and would think the 700 will more than meet your needs.

Don

Oren Grad

some odd format negs (like the old disk cameras)?
Unfortunately, scanning disk negatives on a flatbed is likely to be a nuisance logistically, and the quality you're likely to get from scanning an 8x11mm frame even on a very decent consumer flatbed like an Epson 700/750 is going to be iffy.

If you have a DSLR and can mount a macro lens that's corrected for high magnification, it might be less hassle and you might get better results by putting the disks on a light box and photographing the negatives. A lens like the Canon MP-E 65mm would probably be ideal, though pricey. But even a less expensive 1:1 macro, which perhaps you already own, might still give you better results than the flatbed.

Check out what Godfrey did with his Minox negatives:

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16718

http://homepage.mac.com/godders/098-subwayride-2up-test.jpg