The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

John Stovall Has Passed

Dale Allyn

Like others have said, I'm stunned. What a saddening loss. John will truly be missed. He contributed so much here. I have enjoyed following his many links to interesting articles that I would have otherwise missed.

Godfrey

Minox EC - HC110
21 March 1998
Epson 2450 proof scan

"Only in silence the word,
only in dark the light,
only in dying, Life;
bright the hawk's flight
on the empty sky."

- Song of Ea, Ursula K. Le Guin

Lloyd

I'm saddened to hear of John's passing. I, like many others here, appreciated his posts, and his links. I hope he and Jeanne have a wonderful reunion.

rayyan

I too am saddened to hear of John's passing. I didn't know John. But I can
imagine John's personality and character by those that knew him and have posted their comments here.

May John rest in peace.

Rick Waldroup

A friend of John's got in touch to let me know that for folks who plan on attending the graveside service, they plan on meeting after the service here:

Tiffany's Restaurant
601 South Commercial Avenue
Coleman, TX 76834-4205
(325) 625-1000

otumay

Though I'm a newcomer here and never had the chance of meeting John in person, I am deeply saddened by his loss, or our loss for that matter. May he rest in peace.

Knorp

Jonn was very informative with links to interesting articles and always busy with some sort of project.
I found him honest and open, but also a bit controversial at times.
Do you recall the days at DPR ? The Dead Cat and the Faux-LIECAs ?
His passing makes me not only feeling sad but smiling too.
He'll be missed.

Diane B

Jonn was very informative with links to interesting articles and always busy with some sort of project.
I found him honest and open, but also a bit controversial at times.
Do you recall the days at DPR ? The Dead Cat and the Faux-LIECAs ?
His passing makes me not only feeling sad but smiling too.
He'll be missed.
LOL. I do remember those. Like you, I'm smiling at some of those times and thats a good thing IMO. He's left us with lots of reasons to remember him and it's not many people in forums that leave that legacy. I suspect that people that knew him personally will have lots of memories also and he'll be missed by a lot of people as some knew him personally and like most of here and at other forums, virtually. Wouldn't we all like to feel we affect and touch so many people.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
PS: I've received a few inquiries about what I think is an appropriate amount to donate. Honestly, I say it's up to you, whatever you feel appropriate. I can tell you most have been $20 or $25, and the largest so far has been $50.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
(...) I hope he and Jeanne have a wonderful reunion.
Agree, Lloyd, John on his way to his Jeanne, that's the way I want to think of it.

I have shown you this one from Croatia before, I think maybe he would have liked it.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I remember John at one time sent me a PM asking me if it was okay to post links to all the various photo links that he came up with. My response was the Sunset Bar is all his and man did he take advantage of it for all our benefit. I wish I had the chance to actually meet him but this forum generates a lot of friendships and John helped a great deal in creating what GetDPI is today. For that alone we are all thankful of that. So if you think you don't make a difference here than sadly you are wrong in that thinking. Maybe something in his passing that will leave us all with a great feeling of being a part of something special even if it is virtual it really is real life. I know Jack and I thank you all for that and we hold John in a very special place in our hearts.

jonoslack

My parents were luckier than John and Jeanne (living well into their 80s), but my father had a lot of work to look after my mother in the last couple of years. When she died we felt that he would have a little time to enjoy his photography and his friends, but actually, he only lasted a year or so, and his end was probably less comfortable than John's.
Sometimes it's time to go, and perhaps John had arrived there.

all the best

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I am glad to be a member here at GetDPI and to have benefitted from the many contributions John made to the forum through his varied posts covering a wide range of topics. He certainly had a knack for finding stories of interest and I am sure many members will miss his lively posts.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Just saw this ... so sad. What a great personality ... unique, interesting and oh so vital.

Any takers for the John Stovall Sunset Bar? :)

Kurt