The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

John Stovall Has Passed

Rick Waldroup

I just received this email from a friend of mine who knew John. I had been net friends with John for many years. We lived close to each other, although I never had the chance to meet John in person. He was a great supporter of my street photography and always talked about meeting me and buying me a cup of coffee. I cannot begin to tell you of the absolute sadness and emptiness I am feeling right now.

John, was a righteous dude. The best of the best. A true Texas gentleman and a legend in our rugged, but gentle land.

I will miss you, my friend.

Here is a copy of the email I received with the details about John's passing.

"John Stovall was found dead earlier today (people don't know when over the last couple days that he passed), I don't know cause of death-funeral is Monday Morning in a small town outside of Dublin.
Graveside service will be held at 10am on Monday, 21 June at the Burkett Cemetary in Coleman. Harrell's Funeral home in Dublin is handling the arrangements.

Thought that you would want to know."

That is sad. John was a regular here and always had a way of finding interesting articles or stories to share. Although I never met him, he seemed to be a very nice and helpful person. I will miss his interaction here.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
He will be greatly missed by his friends here on the forum. John had such a passion for photography ..he brought a lot to the party.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Oh this is so sad. John was such a huge part of this forum and a great friend of everyone here. I am deeply saddened by this news.

Terry

Wow, that is sad. He had gone through a rough period with his wive's illness and death and it seemed like he was really now having a lot of fun with his photography.

helenhill

Heartbreaking News...
just when he seemed to be Adjusting to Life without his dear Wife

May he Find Peace and arrive safely in Leica Heaven

T

tokengirl

How awful. I will miss the interestingness he always found and shared here. :(

beamon

Terribly sad. Only knew John for his contributions to this board. His referrals to articles of interest elsewhere were always worthwhile reads.

We'll miss you, John. RIP.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am stunned... I never met John in person, but we shared many PM's and did several gear purchases between each other. He was a true gentleman and I will miss him very much.

bensonga

On Human Fragility

"Sometimes it comes to my mind, not death, but I tell myself, you are here today and tomorrow you will be gone."

Jose Saramago, who also died today.

May they both rest in peace.

D&A

I was just reading his post momets ago regarding the iPad and Photo Mechanics when I came accros this unfortunate and sad news. I've enjoyed his reading his thoughts and postings here on GetDPi ever since I first joined and hearing such news, is always a sad. I'm sure he will be missed.

Dave (D&A)

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Very sad news. John was an educated man and loved to share his thoughts and great findings on this board.
A lot of them were left unadressed... today i'm a bit ashamed to be among those who so often followed the links without taking the proper time to leave a note or a thanks. John, your contributions were much appreciated . Sometimes fun, sometimes educative, often inspiring, always instructive. You'll be dearly missed.

jonoslack

He will certainly be missed by many, including me. I enjoyed his many links and his spikey remarks. I hope he had a grand life and an easy death.