The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

San Juan 2008-05

Joan

Now a few from the M8 this morning.....
Yeah, Terry! Wahoo! You are doing great things with both cameras already. GRD2 shots lookin' GOOD!

Rob, love the pano and the BW conversion is very nice. I NEED that lesson (and all the others from these workshops). Next year I AM going to do at least one workshop, by hook or by crook!

Joan

Whoops, posting at the same time, I should now say all THREE cameras! ROTFL re: Guys early morning attitude, too funnY!

Robert Campbell

Terry, more lovely pix; but how do you do it? A GR, an M8 and a D300 all simultaneously - I'm having visions/nightmares of you strung up with cameras, one to each [!] eye snapping away...:)

tollie

Workshop Member
Brad again is tempting me...

This AM he lent me a 12mm voightlander to play with. What a treat... set it at f 5.6 and focus on inf... and you have turned a 5K M8 into a $200 point and shoot... incredible.

I made these photographs on the way to lunch.

The first shot is of the main church in San Juan which is across the street from the hotel.

The last three are of a converted seminary... now used by the University for cultural programming and courses.

All shot wide open.

wow.

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Brad again is tempting me...

This AM he lent me a 12mm voightlander to play with. What a treat... set it at f 5.6 and focus on inf... and you have turned a 5K M8 into a $200 point and shoot... incredible.
HAHAHA so true!

Great shots, All! Wish I was there.

tollie

Workshop Member
OK...

This PM late we had a special event.

Two models were added to this volatile mix. Both were great and Guy/Jack set up street, interior venues to shoot. At one stop we worked at a converted Seminary... at another straight street... I mean the middle of the street with traffic backed up over the hill.

I chose to shoot the group... I shot the 75mm summarit.

I am posting native jpgs basically straight out of the camera... I have the DNG's but these will do in the interest of speed.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Little surprise, Jack and I hired two models for a afternoon of a lighting seminar and fashion shoot. It was a kick , couple quick images. My whole shoot was with the P30plus at ISO400

Guy Mancuso

Well there will be many images posted of this event from everyone and i need to get to dinner with everyone and some Belly Dancing at a local restaurant. We go to the rain forest tomorrow morning and added another event for Friday night a wine sunset from the highest peak in San Juan at the Gallery Inn.

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Those P30+ images are looking very, very nice, Guy. I'm watching your evaluation process very carefully. ;)

Robert, those noctilux shots look wonderful ... especially the one of the woman at the end of the bar.

bradhusick

these are all handheld on the M8 with no local tone corrections, only overall. shot with the apo-telyt m 135 at f/4 to f/5.6

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
We went to a restaurant tonight that specialized in Persian and Indian food. They had a Belly Dancer entertain us later in the evening, followed by a couple of the wives joining in on the action. It is lat now, but here are two which will whet your appetite for more. I have lots more :) Maybe I will post them in their own thread tomorrow!

Here Cynthia makes a guest appearance :)

Guy Mancuso

Those P30+ images are looking very, very nice, Guy. I'm watching your evaluation process very carefully. ;)

Robert, those noctilux shots look wonderful ... especially the one of the woman at the end of the bar.
Kurt as you know I have been avoiding this issue for too long and the bottom line is bigger is better. MF has and always will be better overall in images. WE certainly can get close, Nice files from Nikon , Leica an the others have certainly tried and we have pushed hard to get there but MF digital just freaking rocks. Once you try these you start banging your head with what the hell have we been thinking . But nothing wrong with that, certainly the DMR and M8 images have done a awesome job for us and now we see the Nikon D3 starting to do the same. But reality is time to grow up also, as Pro's you just have to deliver the best you can with what you have. These backs are just the ticket even though it is expensive and a tougher road to work in. The results are what count. As much as i have loved the M8 and it's light weight and size plus the wonderful images from it nothing will beat a MF file. The thing that eluded me is I thought bigger files meant big weight and bulk , sure there bigger but honestly my Mamiya is no bigger than your D3 and actually lighter, we have 2 D3's here plus a D300 . I still use the same bags so really not the biggest issue. The big concern is feeding it light. Seriously it is a 2 stop loss in DOF compared to FF and you need to make that up somewhere. Reason i said i need a great ISO 400 for the times you need to squeeze the envelope. The Phase backs actually all three of them will give you a nice ISO 400 file and some better than that but your best option is using C1 to do it also. These backs are fine tuned to to C1 better than any program I have seen between camera and company software. This is a real marriage , stuff that looked a little off in LR was perfect in C1 and i will explain that later but when looking at these Mf systems look for a damn system that is tight between camera , back and software. I cannot stress this enough , seriously after one minute of setup I am shooting with no issues and it just works and this is not a knock on anyone but Phase has this stuff down really well. Look for a system that has the three parts as tight as you can get otherwise it is something not sure i want to deal with.