The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do you do for living?

sagar

Well I asked this on an another forum and quite a response and got to know many people beyond their forum names and gear list. So thought I would start it here as well :)

If you don't mind answering, tell what you do for a living? Is photography is your profession (meaning earning completely based on photography) or is it more of a hobby and you do something else as your day job?

Starting with me, I am a IT Project Mgr in a small firm, currently based in US. In 2003 when I was in Paris photography bug bite me and I got my first digital Sony V1 and also met some photographers group/members online (paw, seephoto by Godfrey etc), some of them are members here as well. So nice to see them around after 6-7 years...

mathomas

I'm a software developer currently at a small firm. I've been into photography, to a greater or lesser extent, since I was around 12 or so. Bought my first SLR (Miranda Sensorex) at age 13 in the mid-70s. Still remember that it cost $139.99 from some mail-order shop in New York.

RonSmith

I'm a lawyer and have been in practice since 1984.

I got my first camera, a Kodak Hawkeye, when I was 7 in 1963, and my first SLR, a Canon FX, when I was 15. Photography has always been a hobby for me; one that I can incorporate into just about every aspect of my life.

Terry

Investment management for private clients.

We had a darkroom when I was growing up but after leaving for college I completely gave up photography except for your basic documenting of events with friends and family. Finally the Digilux 2 came along with its analog controls and it rekindled my love for the art.

ReeRay

Retired (thankfully) but formerly Corporate insurance broker. First discovered photography as an 8 year old in the 50's from my grandfather who was a pro in the UK.

I'll never forget all those years ago when, for the first time, I saw an image "magically" appear on a white piece of paper in his darkroom. It's been an obsession ever since.

Ben Rubinstein

Full time wedding photographer for my sins. Got into photography via an old and broken Canon AE-1 I found in the catacombs of the photo lab I managed for a couple of years.

jlm

Workshop Member
custom metal staircase, etc. manufacturer, shops in NYC and Oakland
first exposure to photography was my uncle's basement darkroom in 1950. first real camera, after my Kodak Brownie: Olympus PenD, half frame, then yashicamat 120, OM-1,
went nuts after reading Weston's diaries and Ansel's Camera, negative, etc series, Picker's Zone VI: then Toyo 4x5, hasselblad 500C, Sinar P, 8x10 polaraoid, Minolta CLE, nikon digital, rollei TLR (still have it), then petered out until...the Digilux 2, just like Terry, then M8, etc.

Tim Ernst

Hey Guy, you and I must be about the same age - I just started my 36th year as a nature photographer, started at 18 when I could not stand school...

F

FStopIan

I am product developer for a camera bag company. But have worked as a busboy, web designer, graphic designer, pro photog, magazine editor and now designing bags... In that order with some overlap.

I must say my current job is the most enjoyable... although magazine editor had much better travel involved...

S

Shelby Lewis

Pro trumpeter for a bit over a decade... then architect/photographer for the last 6 or 7... going back to do a doctorate this fall in music (trumpet performance, emphasis on baroque "natural" trumpet)

... and hope to combine the visual and the aural for the remainder of my career by teaching, playing, and photographing for everything I'm worth. :D

Don Libby

Retired Fed after 33 years (combination of military and civilian service). Retired Fall 2003 and took up landscape photography full time. I had a job that required extensive international travel and I luckily was able to take a camera with me on most trips.

I'm 62 now and "retired" now almost 7 years and love my new job!

sonomichele

Scientist and Professor. Started doing photography with a Ricohflex TLR and then got my first SLR (Minolta SRT101) in high school where I did photography for the newspaper and yearbook. My time behind a camera got quieter while raising kids, getting tenure, and trying to perpetually write grants.

Kids now in college and have a bit more time, so trying to get back to it.

Lisa

I'm a research engineer, mostly doing computer simulations of things crashing or exploding. Photography is a hobby - it's been on-again-off-again since my teens, but only became serious with the advent of digital SLRs. With film, I didn't have the immediate feedback to help teach me what works (technically) and what doesn't, and digital got me a leg up on the learning curve.

Lisa

tomh

Very interesting range of replies. I am a retired software developer (real time control of power systems). Took up casual photography on retiring three years ago at age 60. Finding interesting patterns in scenes made even backyard snapshots an adventure. Eventually it occurred to me that each picture is a short essay on one of the many meanings of beauty. I have learned a lot from visiting this web site and appreciate everyone's willingness to share great pictures and ideas. Thanks!

Schmiddi

Civil engineer for some 20 years now, designing drainage systems, roads or (not to big) airports. Started photography some 30+x years ago, when my father started making movies and I got his Exacta Varex. Later came to Minolta, now Sony. Learning much more since there is internet - more pictures to look at...

zonevt

I retired last year from IBM working twenty-eight years as a Communications Photographer specializing in semiconductor products. Still young 59 this year so I just started a freelance photography business in a small studio space offering product, portrait, editorial, event. I also sell fine art prints in several Vermont galleries......Tom.