The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What do you do for living?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Reducing one's life to a description of jobs held is a sobering venture. Nevertheless, starting with the earliest job titles I can remember, the list goes something like this:

Tobacco Crew,
Chicken Fry Cook,
E-6 Processing Tech,
Darkroom Tech,
Custom Black & White Printer,
Medical Photographer,
State Police Photographer,
Instructional Media Developer,
Director of Marketing Communications,
Advertising Account Executive,
Creative Services Manager,
Communications Consultant,
Graphic Designer,
President of Smith & Powers (current).

I'm still trying to figure out what comes next and contemplating the removal of all mirrors in the house.
Mirrors are banned since they don't show anything and that alarms visitors.

fotografz

Former Professional Assassin. I got into photography so I could e-mail pics of my victims and get paid faster.

Went into advertising which politically I found quite similar. Rose to high position littering the path upward with bodies. Did learn a lot about photography ... spent millions with photographers and cinematographers, so they didn't mind sharing with me.

Retired from that profession two years ago. Now work for my wife as a valet, house-keeper, and sometime Cabana boy ;)

Once in a while I photograph a wedding.

RESUME:
Art School
Printing apprentice
Illustrator/designer
Fine Art starving artist
San Dan Instructor, Issinryu Karate ... which led to ...
Assassin ... which led to ...
Advertising Art Director ... Creative Director ... Executive Creative Director
Bed maker, dish washer, picker up of dog poop ... which led to ...
Professional Photographer

Lessons Learned: Camera gear cost more to shoot than guns, and housekeeping is boring.

-Marc

:ROTFL:

Shelby Frisch

Subscriber Member
Semi Retired scientist after working for about 40 years in helping develop ways to remotely measure atmospheric and oceanic quantities, plus measuring and analyzing various physical phenomenon in the atmosphere and ocean. I feel very fortunate that I was able to have job that was challenging and most of the time worked with great people.

I've been interested in photography for over 50 years. My father had taken lots of pictures with a Kodak that took 130 film. I still have many of his negatives that I've scanned. I actually took a few pictures with it too, but I think his results were much better than mine. His camera is sitting on my bookcase now.

My first modern camera was a Nikon S1 range-finder which at the time I thought took pretty nice photos. Over the years I picked up a Hasselblad 1000F, an 8x10 view camera, etc. I learned a little b+w printing one summer when I was a grad student on an ice breaker in the arctic. I had taken my Hasselblad on the trip and the ship's photographer taught me some printing techniques in the ship's darkroom.

My other passion is music. I started piano when I was 6 and then graduated to tuba at age 13. A couple of decades ago I picked up a euphonium, and thats my instrument now, its a bit smaller than a tuba and a lot easier to carry. Its Kind of like carrying a 4x5 rather than an 8x10.

RomanJohnston

Computer technician with the City Of Portland by day....

Landscape photographer by morning, evening and night. :)

Business is starting to take off. Who knows, in a few years, maybe doing this full time.

Roman

S

Shani Clinton

I am a house wife and also do some data entry work at home.

Shani.

frontosa

Workshop Member
I sell grapes to eat. Been involved in selling fresh produce since getting out of graduate school in 1979. I have the best working condition in my present job. Work like a dog from mid July to mid December, then I am off for the rest of the year.

My father would always take family photos with his Rolliflex TLR which most of us found too weird looking. I got a Kodak Brownie for my birthday present. Photography crept slowly back into my life when my daughter was born in 1992. It got revitalized again in 1999 when my kids started to get involved in competitive table tennis. I have been shooting for USA table tennis since 2002 with Canon. Also have shot with the Leica M8 and currently fooling around with a Leaf AFi / AF7 combination.

etrigan63

By day, I am a Senior Operating Systems Programmer working for Miami-Dade County. By all other hours of the day I am:

an IT Consultant
a husband
a father of two kids, two cats, and an elderly dog
a budding pro photographer (planning on the County screwing me out of my retirement)
a technology blogger

not necessarily in that order

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Former Professional Assassin. I got into photography so I could e-mail pics of my victims and get paid faster.

Retired from that profession two years ago. Now work for my wife as a valet, house-keeper, and sometime Cabana boy ;)

Once in a while I photograph a wedding.

RESUME:
San Dan Instructor, Issinryu Karate ... which led to ...
Assassin ... which led to ...
Advertising Art Director ... Creative Director ... Executive Creative Director
Bed maker, dish washer, picker up of dog poop ... which led to ...
Professional Photographer

Lessons Learned: Camera gear cost more to shoot than guns, and housekeeping is boring.

-Marc

:ROTFL:
That splains all the killer shots you keep posting.....

Other than the occupational liability of recurrent neck and back pain and progressive arthritis seem like a good life path. :toocool:

Bob

fotografz

That splains all the killer shots you keep posting.....

Other than the occupational liability of recurrent neck and back pain and progressive arthritis seem like a good life path. :toocool:

Bob
Oh yes indeed Bob ... the Arthritis thing is a MAJOR legacy from 20+ years in Karate. My knee should have been replaced 10 years ago. Over zealous Drug Task Force cops I was training destroyed it in a training session ... but it instantly made true believers out of them regarding how effect the training was ... :eek:

Get me a shiny new knee, and I'll be able to advertise myself as the "Bionic Wedding Photographer". :thumbup:

-Marc

TEAM KEN

well..I;m probably one of the newest guys here...so..
I am a realtor, here in the New Orleans area...but to be honest..I do still run my dental laboratory, to pay the bill...and keep the boss happy :)
Really just getting started with OCF, and still reading, and learning each day.
Cheers,
Ken

David Schneider

For last 8 years or so I've owned a portrait photography studio. Do about 150 non-contract high school seniors, families & pets, limited amount of "social" events like weddings. Before that did 7-8 years of youth sports and equestrian photography before coming in out of the rain and into the studio. Went digital in 1998 or 1999.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
author/practitioner; workshop presenter; photographer (for 35 years). Every image of me when I was a kid featured a Nikon!

In the film days (Leica, 2 Photomic head Nikon F2As), I shot all available light (dance and theatre), and products, mostly for brochures (Pentax 67).

Some years photography brings in the most income (especially when I am writing); other years it's the workshops.

I am John Deere's only non-American photographer, apart from a guy in Germany who has recently been engaged by JD's new "Water Division". I have a week-long shoot coming up for JD here in Australia when I get back from Piacenza (presenting a workshop there in a completely different field).

I shoot and direct video too (was a network TV director along the way, ABC, here in Australia) as I make all the products I sell from my site.

My claim to 5 minute's of fame is that I wrote and directed a 47' documentary starring Arnold Swarzenegger, before he made Conan and became really famous, called "The Comeback"; it was a finalist in the 1981 Sydney Film Festival—and Andrew Lesnie (Oscar winner for the Lord of the Rings series) was the DOP—his first paying job!

I met Guy over at Fred's site, on the "Leica DMR Bible" thread. He and I separately tested the prototype BrightScreens for the 5D and (from memory) the DMR; he will correct me on details!

It is a diverse group here, to be sure. Regards to all, KL

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Enterprise Architect for a large telecommunications software company.

Really that's a fancy job title for my real job which is to evangelize about all those systems people loathe and detest that use voice recognition and a bunch of smart technology you never hear about to send your calls to the right person at the right time or alternatively handled without the aid of a human. I hate the brain dead way some of my customers use this stuff too btw and always ask for "agent", "customer service" or press zero at the earliest opportunity :ROTFL:

Lots of years designing and building financial trading and banking systems.

A bunch of years in the web business designing and selling payment systems for web sites you're probably familiar with and use every day.

Some people fish. Some people hunt. I use photography as my pastime to force me to leave the technology business behind and get out of the house or office and visit interesting places and sights at ungodly hours of the day.

I've been serious about photography for about 15 years and continuously strive for creativity and inspiration to take better photographs. The good news, and a relief, is that they only need to please me. You folks that shoot for a living have my respect and sympathies too - I couldn't do it or I'd starve trying ... :bugeyes:

A

AlRohrer

New here. U. S. Marine Corps 1965-73, over-the-road driver (mostly auto transporters) 1973-2008, retired October 2008. Got my first SLR in 1998 and haven't looked back. Progressed to the point I had shot a few weddings, family portraits, reunions and junior sports leagues while I was still working. When I retired, I had all the equipment I needed so bought all the licenses, insurance, etc, to set up a pro-photography business but it seems that I am not really cut out to be a businessman. I can handle the photography part alright, get along fine with the people, it's all the rest of it that I don't seem to be interested in.
Fortunately, I don't have to rely on an income from photography so I am seriously considering not renewing my licenses in 2011 and only photographing what I like. The last few years I've been so busy learning to be a professional photographer that I haven't spent much time on what drew me to it in the beginning.
Al Rohrer