The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Stovall Link

stephengilbert

When I saw this, I thought it was the kind of thing John would've linked to. I miss him. With photos, of course.

The Long Fa Tang Temple in southern Taiwan is both a sanctuary and a prison for 700 mental patients. The temple administers neither medications nor treatments used in other such institutions. Instead, the Buddhist monks and nuns who oversee the patient population employ chains for "therapeutic" purposes.

A patient in stable condition is linked and locked to one who is considered less sound. Day in and day out, the more lucid one leads the two-person chain gang.

Patients typically arrive at the temple under duress. After exhausting conventional medical treatments, desperate family members see Long Fa Tang as the last resort for the incurable. In the face of harsh criticism, temple authorities maintain that, as well as alleviating the tremendous burden on families, their methods have proven successful in treating the mentally ill.

http://www.magnumphotos.com/Archive/c.aspx?VP=XSpecific_MAG.BookDetail_VPage&pid=2K7O3R182KDO

darr

Thanks for posting this! I just purchased the book after reviewing some of the portfolio.

Kind regards,
Darr