Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What gear are you using now, and why?

Post Thanks / Like

What gear are you using now, and why?

Like many here, I have watched Guy buy and sell at a sometimes amazing rate (and we have bought and sold to each other in the process!), so the other evening I was wondering what gear Guy was using these days—it was Canon FF with Leica and Zeiss glass for quite a while (and we met on Fred's "Alternative Gear and Lenses" thread due to this); then the Leica M8 and M9—but I have not heard recently.

So I though I would start this thread to fine out!

I'll start: a brace of Nikon D700s; 14–24/2.8 (this was the lens that took me out of Canon and the Leica/Zeiss path); 28/2.8, 35/2, 35-70/2.8, 60/2.8G, 85/1.8, 105/2.5 micro VR, 180/2.8. The 24 and 85 PC-E lenses.

I shoot large and small products and architecture; hence the particular mix of lenses.

I had one of the first D3 bodies in Australia, but sold that as soon as the D700 came out; the D700 is much closer to the Nikon F2As I had, and I can always add the grip for the longer/heavier lenses if needed.

As most of my work ends up on the net or in brochures, the 12Mp "limitation" of the D700 is not a problem for me. I will get the D3x once the price comes down further, or when that sensor is available in the D700-shape body.

And because this is where most of my work ends up, I have been able to resist MF digital!!!

Regards to all, KL

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What gear are you using now, and why?

I shot Nikons for 30 years, and other formats as well, but changed directions about 3 years ago. I decided to pare down my gear and go as light as possible.

Several years ago I started selling off almost every bit of my gear- 35mm film cameras, 35mm rangefinders, 35mm DSLR's, medium format gear, large format gear, collectible cameras, lighting equipment, I mean I sold almost everything I owned.

I now shoot an Olympus E1 and a Lumix L1 with three lenses- the Panaleica 14-50 zoom, an Olympus 25mm pancake, and an Olympus 40-150 zoom. I now use just one flash, a Metz 48AF. And I also carry a Ricoh GRDII, which I use a lot.

That is about it.
    Last edited by Rick Waldroup; 30th August 2010 at 03:45.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Although I have half a dozen system cameras in all formats (barring ULF) for film, I left Nikon as the main system for digital shooting (although I still own a huge number of lenses from that era, despite having given away a big bunch for next to nothing).

Currently, it is mirrorless cams, particularly the Panasonic offerings. They complete most of my requirements in all spectral regions starting from UV to IR.

I am hoping that larger sensored systems will emerge in this area. Though I flirted with a Samsung (APS-C) NX10 and currently own a Sony NX5, they are not that useful.

As to why:

Serious issues with Nikon's progress. I think they are better off going completely E instead doing this piecemeal redundancy of their glorious Nikon F era connection. Cameras are also getting to be truck sized. New glass from them shows lack of innovation (case in point, the new AFS 85/1.4, search flickr for examples from a Nikon manager).

A brief indulgence with digital RF (Epson RD1s) ended. Although I dust up some film cams from time to time.

The m4/3rds covers my needs for street shooting perfectly. Numerous high performing lenses that are easily adaptable put all my previous Nikon rarities to shame. The cameras are a joy to use (true liveview) and are also easy to carry anywhere.

If Canon, Nikon, etc progress to useful (mirrorless) live view cams I do not have any problems in buying them to try.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Selling a bunch and going down to a very simple setup for my wedding photography.

Two 5D originals.
    20D emergency backup.
    16-35L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8
    bunch of flashguns, the usual radio slaves, blah, blah.

I'm also keeping my lensbaby for my Jerusalem Project work.

Simple, easy, travelable, cheap(ish). Thankfully I don't need longer focal lengths for my type of work.
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I see people buy and sell gear at a phenomenal rate on all the internet forums.

I had essentially the same basic kit for over twenty years ... Nikon SLRs, Leica RFs, 3-5 lenses for both, plus a couple medium format cameras and subminiatures.

The digital paradigm shift has gone through a very rapid evolution of cameras so since 2002 I have owned more different cameras than in the previous twenty-five years. But things have settled nicely: I'm happy with Olympus and Panasonic bodies and lenses. My E-1, L1 and G1 produce satisfying work, I've got about ten lenses total between them. Each of these bodies has its particular strength, which is why I keep them. I'll upgrade the L1 to the E-3 or the next Olympus pro body soon; I'll acquire another lens or two for the G1 mount most likely. I do need some more lighting gear.

While faster, newer, bigger, etc stuff certainly exists and more will come, these are doing the job very well and I'm really not interested in constantly buying and learning new gear. I want to do photography, not be a camera equipment expert. Most of what I see in new gear doesn't change anything for the kind of work I do and the sizes of prints I sell/make/etc anyway.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, the question is USING rather than OWNING

Mostly I use an M9 with leica lenses

Because it's versatile, lightweight, unobtrusive, lovely to use and produces great files

I also use a Sony A900 with various Minolta / Sony / Zeiss lenses

Because it's the best bang for the buck with respect to resolution / size / value, and because the colour of the files is lovely.

My Nex kit already doesn't get used for the reasons the other two do!

all the best

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well last year there was a thread "are you happy with your current gear" and I answered a positive very difinitve YES! and then sold it all for a different kit a week later. Now, seeing as I just did the same about face last week....I think I need to stop typing....

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Well, the question is USING rather than OWNING ...
    Anything I don't use, I sell.

I don't collect gear for the fun of locking my money up into dusty junk on a shelf.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've been a real gear whore over the last 15 years, especially with digital, and have gone through a mostly Nikon streak with occasional flutters to Epson R-D1s, Canon, Leica (M8s). With the advent of the Micro 4/3s gear however, I've slowed right down and recently just sold off my D700 and lenses. At this point I'm using the GH1, GF1 and E-PL1 in m4/3 and a pair of Sony NEX.

I'm still awaiting my M-to-NEX adapters but will use the NEXs for shooting my Voigtlander glass (21mm f4, 28mm f2, 50mm f1.5, 75mm f2.5 and 90mm f3.5) and the m4/3 for video, macro and telephoto work (kit lenses, 20mm, 7-14mm and 45mm Panaleica). I'm finding that for what I do the files are everything I need, and my back is positively singing these days!

I loved my Epsons when I had them, and the NEXs seem like the best replacements yet. Two small bodies (with lenses) around my neck and a small belt pouch with a couple of other CV lenses, tabletop tripod and small beanbag is astonishingly liberating. All I'm looking for at this point is an EVF for the NEX.

Cheers,

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Anything I don't use, I sell.

I don't collect gear for the fun of locking my money up into dusty junk on a shelf.
    Congratulations - I quite agree . . . . I just worked out that the oldest camera I have is the A900 - which is almost two years old now, and still much used.

But the problem is always whether one will use it again or not, sometimes things can be cleared out a little too fast!

Lenses are often a good investment - at least, good lenses are! I've certainly not lost any money on Leica lenses over the last 4 years.

My problem is that I keep wanting something smaller and so I keep buying them . . . and not using them . . . and selling them:

D-lux4
    G1
    Gf1
    Ep1
    Ep2
    all have been and gone without much use.

I'm afraid the NEX seems very likely to go the same way -I must control myself

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... My problem is that I keep wanting something smaller and so I keep buying them ...
    I only rarely want anything much smaller than a Leica M or the G1.
    I'll trade a little more size for better ergonomics any day.
    A Micro-FourThirds camera in the design of the old Panasonic LC-1 or L1 would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sony A900 here. It seemed like a reasonable replacement for the DMR and as close to an all around camera system that I have seen. Long term I would like to move to MF digital and maybe Canon DSLR.

As a "system" I find the Sony totally lacking and have to admit I have considered going to Canon, but for now it does what I need at less cost and lower weight than medium format, and generally sufficient quality.

If we are talking about photography gear, I also constantly use an assortment of Dynalite gear, but should probably sell it for a battery system.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Sony A900 here. It seemed like a reasonable replacement for the DMR and as close to an all around camera system that I have seen. Long term I would like to move to MF digital and maybe Canon DSLR.

As a "system" I find the Sony totally lacking and have to admit I have considered going to Canon, but for now it does what I need at less cost and lower weight than medium format, and generally sufficient quality.
    Hi Bill . . . I'm with you, but still, every time I look at those A900 files - they might not sing at high ISO, but at 200 they are really splendid . . . or maybe my values are slipping!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After reading the replies above this one, I guess the standard format is to go back in time a bit....

But, Before I got a Panasonic G1 (what I use 90% now), I used my Pentax K20d and Leica M5, although, the M5 is used a bit less now in tighter times.

I am currently shifting towards the G1 as main camera, and will sell my Pentax gear towards m4/3 glass. but I am waiting until Photokina 2010 1st, to see what is introduced.

I have a 17mm f/2.8 Oly for the G1, and use my VC 28mm f/1.9 and Zeiss 50mm f/1.5 C-Sonnar as longer MF lenses at the moment. So, I have, a 34/56/100 FOV available for the G1... Not a bad 3 lens kit at all. A native 25mm f2 and a 60mm f/2.8 would be nice to complete my G1 kit in all native AF lenses, for now. (Pany or Oly).

In sum
    I use my G1 with the Native 17mm and adapted 28 and 50
    and my M5 a few time a month also with the 28 and 50.
    The K20d is on vacation for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Bill . . . I'm with you, but still, every time I look at those A900 files - they might not sing at high ISO, but at 200 they are really splendid . . . or maybe my values are slipping!
    Agreed. It took me a really long time to learn how to use this camera, but I am pretty satisfied with it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have to admit that I actually enjoy it to use a "dead" system, namely Contax 645.
    This is a fully equipped system with very nice lenses, vertical grip, waist level finder, bellows lens hood etc. etc. but there won't be any upgrades, firmware updates or new items.
    Just bought 2 more lenses in mint condition … great value for the price. In fact you can buy two of everthing as a backup without spending too much money.
    Why do I use it? I love the simplicity of the camera. Too... no flaws, no breakdowns, no anything… it just works.
    Besides… except for AF accuracy in difficult light and AF speed no MF camera beats the Contax… for me. So there is really no reason to switch.

Second system is a tech camera with 2 lenses. Maybe… probably… I'll add a thrid lens some day… but that's it.

Unless nothing breaks I hope I can use both sytems for a long time yet.

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

After 30 years of Olympus OM, I changed to F-mount and digital 5 years ago, starting with an S3. Now, I use four different F-mount bodies (S3, S5, D80 and D300) and a selection of lenses. I find Nikon boring but reliable. I would like something smaller with similar ergonomics (Pentax), but a change is expensive, and I know that what I have works. The D300 is a rather impressive machine, but the colours are up and down. It does get the job done though, every time.

Earlier this year, I bought a GH1 for use with legacy lenses and for video. It's a mixed blessing. The EVF, although an advantage for video, isn't my favourite view of the world, the ergonomics are only so-so and the old wide lenses aren't wide. It's not very solidly built. The Canon 60D is under consideration. The size is nice, it can take all my legacy glass, Canon has some lenses on their own that Nikon doesn't offer, and the 18MP sensor has impressed me so far.

Time will show. I will see what the D90 replacement brings to the market first, and if Olympus launches a pro m4/3 camera. I can convert most of the Olympus glass to F-mount, but unfortunately not the super lovely Zeiss CY 85mm f/1.8.

We'll see after Photokina (2010, 2012 or 2014...). I do industrial, portrait, motor sports as well as street/travel photography, so from a usage point of view, I can always say that I need a lot of different stuff. When it comes to profitability, it doesn't look that bright, but it's still great fun

Oh, and I never sell gear. After regretting selling my baby Rolleiflex and the Zuiko 11-22 for years, I've found that it isn't good for my health. Better to find a larger apartment to store all the stuff. It's all being used now and then, not always because it's needed, but because it makes the photographic challenges more interesting

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

When I go out the door with a camera, it's with either this rig:

Leica M4-P With 50mm f2 Jupiter-8 Lens, April, 2010 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

or this rig:

Leica M8 with 35/1.4 Voigtländer Nokton Classic, September, 2008 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

or this rig:

Leica M2, April, 2010 by Maggie Osterberg, on Flickr

Those lenses are pretty much welded to each camera, though the M8 sometimes gets the CV 28/1.9. Sadly, the M8 has to get the Vertical Line problem fixed, so I reckon that for three months or so, it'll just be the film Leicas.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    I have to admit that I actually enjoy it to use a "dead" system, namely Contax 645. ...
    That was an absolutely lovely system: I almost went for the gusto and bought one of those about a decade ago after selling off my Nikon gear. Very robust build and wonderful lenses, great features.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That was an absolutely lovely system
    it still is!
    It's really complete, you won't miss anything... though some special accessories are not that easy to find (but you get them sooner or later; sometimes even new). The lenses are still up to the task even with the highest res digital backs.
    AF and flash sync speed are a bit outdated but other than that you won't notice that it is discontinued for some years...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As some have said above, I am puzzled by some who buy and sell equipment like there is no tomorrow.

When I look at digital cameras, I wonder how to use it, there are thousand of different settings, so many buttons, what's the use ?

I am wondering if people are buying so many cameras, it is because they don't find the proper settings , therefore never get satisfied with their results , or they buy toys then we are far away from photography.

To take a picture all you need to set is, ISO, speed, aperture and focus... and not even all four each time you snap.

So you have it, I want & need something very straight forward, that's the reason why I am still with film, there is nothing faster & easier, an Hassy & and two Leica M with a handfull of lenses. I sold My R6 and I am left with the R lenses which have no value on the second hand market, better keep them we never know, they are so good.

I would like to get digital but find nothing simple enough and worth the $$$ asked for. I just have a few years old P&S Pana TZ3 I use for quick snaps to send over internet.
    The only camera I tempting me right now is ..... the new Canon S95, the results seems quite decents, to replace the TZ3.

To make this long story short, I still didn't find the digital cam to fit my needs so I keep on using film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    To take a picture all you need to set is, ISO, speed, aperture and focus... and not even all four each time you snap.
    This is so true. Add WB, and you have "my" digital camera. I still wonder why no camera manufacturers (except Leica?) have taken that challenge. Until a couple of years ago, there were people asking for a digital FM3A on Nikon forums, but they seem to have given up. Instead of better viewfinders, solid build and good ergonomics, we get "Art Filters" and panorama modes. While I'm sure many of those gimmicks are great fun for happy snappers, there are still a great number of photographers out there with enough time, good eyes, a functional brain and a heart for traditional photography.

Unfortunately, only products that can be sold in huge quantities get past the bean counters and the marketing gurus nowadays. ROI and shareholder value are the new buzzwords in photography. Photographers are merely tools to achieve those targets

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    ROI and shareholder value are the new buzzwords in photography. Photographers are merely tools to achieve those targets

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

This is so true. Add WB, and you have "my" digital camera. I still wonder why no camera manufacturers (except Leica?) have taken that challenge. Until a couple of years ago, there were people asking for a digital FM3A on Nikon forums, but they seem to have given up. Instead of better viewfinders, solid build and good ergonomics, we get "Art Filters" and panorama modes. While I'm sure many of those gimmicks are great fun for happy snappers, there are still a great number of photographers out there with enough time, good eyes, a functional brain and a heart for traditional photography.

Unfortunately, only products that can be sold in huge quantities get past the bean counters and the marketing gurus nowadays. ROI and shareholder value are the new buzzwords in photography. Photographers are merely tools to achieve those targets
    Manufacturers need to make a profit.

I ignore the image processing settings in the camera. I set it to raw capture, manual or auto focus, aperture priority or manual metering. Sensitivity, aperture, exposure time, and focus. Doesn't matter what camera I have ... and I don't buy any camera that doesn't allow me to do that ... they all work the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Until a couple of years ago, there were people asking for a digital FM3A on Nikon forums, but they seem to have given up.
    Honestly Jorgen, the Sony A900 is the closest I have found, though I imagine the D700 is similar. It is not a FM3a, but the weight is not too much more than a F3, it has a better viewfinder, it feels better in hand and I have only figured out how to use the meter reliably in spot mode.

When someone makes a digital FM3a for a reasonable price I'll be first in line. I thought the Leica DMR might be that camera, but really it was more of a downsize MFDB will all the hassle and gremlins, but without the huge files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Manufacturers need to make a profit.

I ignore the image processing settings in the camera. I set it to raw capture, manual or auto focus, aperture priority or manual metering. Sensitivity, aperture, exposure time, and focus. Doesn't matter what camera I have ... and I don't buy any camera that doesn't allow me to do that ... they all work the same.
    Manufacturers always needed to make a profit, but for some reason, they managed to do that and catering for the needs of the enthusiasts in the old days. Many good products are still being developed, and will be developed in the future, but I can't help asking myself why my GH1 has a zillion menu items, most of which are totally alien to me (and possibly to the majority of users), while such an obvious thing as one touch enlargement for manual focusing isn't included, even though it wouldn't cost them a dime. The reason, I suspect, is that they aren't photographers, and will never be. Bean counters

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Manufacturers always needed to make a profit, but for some reason, they managed to do that and catering for the needs of the enthusiasts in the old days. Many good products are still being developed, and will be developed in the future, but I can't help asking myself why my GH1 has a zillion menu items, most of which are totally alien to me (and possibly to the majority of users), while such an obvious thing as one touch enlargement for manual focusing isn't included, even though it wouldn't cost them a dime. The reason, I suspect, is that they aren't photographers, and will never be. Bean counters
    Manufacturers never "catered to the needs of enthusiasts". They built the best cameras they could sell, at a price that made a profit. "In the old days" it was enough of a pain in the *** to work a camera successfully that only enthusiasts would bother with anything but a box brownie.

The expectations of the average camera user, in terms of features and capabilities, have gone through the roof. And the cost of providing those features and capabilities has dropped to near nothing in relative terms.

Your GH1 has a tremendous lot of stuff in it that no film camera ever could. All that stuff has to be controlled somehow if someone is going to make use of it.

"One touch enlargement for manual focusing" is right there: in Manual Focus mode, with the camera at its defaults, just turn the focusing ring with any Micro-FourThirds lens. Period. Because you want to use the camera a different way, no doubt ... with an adapted manual lens never intended to be used on it ... doesn't mean that the manufacturers have any obligation to provide whatever features your whimsy demands. You have to press TWO buttons to get magnification then ... Oh the pain! Sheesh.

If you don't want to make use of it, ignore the extra buttons and controls. Set the camera to capture raw files, set it to manual exposure and manual focus. Then all you ever have to do is set the sensitivity, the aperture, the shutter time, and focus. Simple.

Why worry yourself philosophizing and complaining about stuff that simply isn't a problem? Just use the camera and make photographs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    Honestly Jorgen, the Sony A900 is the closest I have found, though I imagine the D700 is similar. It is not a FM3a, but the weight is not too much more than a F3, it has a better viewfinder, it feels better in hand and I have only figured out how to use the meter reliably in spot mode.
    The closest cameras I've found to my great old Nikon FE2 and FM2 are the Olympus E-1 and Panasonic L1. Set either of them into raw capture mode, ignore all the image processing stuff, and shoot away ... aperture priority AE like the FE2 or fully manual like the FM2.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree that any business is out there to make a profit. As long as brand loyalists do not populate a photo forum and behave like shareholders of that brand/company, we will be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Your GH1 has a tremendous lot of stuff in it that no film camera ever could. All that stuff has to be controlled somehow if someone is going to make use of it.
    That's part of the problem. Most modern cameras are filled with features that aren't really needed, at least not if taking photos is the primary objective, but look great on a full page ad for the machine. I'm sure it makes sense from an economical point of view; features are cheap to make and sell cameras, while grumpy old men like me represent a tiny fraction of the market. But sometimes, I get the same feeling as with the remote control for the TV: there are millions of buttons, and I use five of them. God knows what the rest are for

Of course I shoot RAW. I wouldn't touch a camera that can't do that. If I don't have control, it's not my photo. I also find myself using manual focus increasingly often. As for the two touch on the GH1; of course they don't have any obligation to make it easy for people who use legacy glass, but on the other hand, I won't buy or recommend a Panasonic to others until they fix it. The two touch is very uncomfortable btw., not so much because of the two touches, but because they are placed in a way that makes it necessary to place the weight of the camera in the other (left) hand, which is used for focusing. Not a good combination.

One of the disadvantages with digital technology, at least at this level, is that small volumes aren't profitable. There's a reason why Cosina doesn't make a digital Bessa, which again makes it possible for Leica to charge more or less whatever they want for the M9. So the chances that we'll see some obscure, little company coming up with a simple, little digital wonder with F, K or M mount are tiny indeed. Which is sad, but those are the times we live in.

Post Thanks / Like

Jorgen, the GF1 is one touch for manual focus enlargement so I would assume that any of the newer models (G2?) would have this as well as any of the models in the future.

Though my 5D(I) does have a number of buttons it does feel more bare bones than the Pannys and I've loved shooting with it over the years. It has just necessary controls even eschewing a pop up flash and its menu is quite straight forward IMO. Its only "silliness" is a print buttom LOL. I will shoot with it until it dies I suspect.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I went to MF and not sure i could ever go back down for primary client needs to a smaller format. On a side note i actually outside of business needs like to shoot MF very much. I do have a little Canon setup for times i just don't want to bring the Phase gear on certain jobs but I am not fond of it either. What i would like is another personal cam for ME when it is not work related. I did love the GF1 but had to sell it for the business side. Like to get something similar back. But my Primary cam is the Phase One MF system
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

After saying I would keep the 5D until it dies, guess I should add a bit more. I shot more casually with many film cams over many years and went digital seriously with a Canon G1, moving quickly to an Oly e10 and then just as quickly to a Canon D60 the month they came out, buying a used D30 for backup. I did parttime commercial shooting for the furniture and textile industry and coveted FF though moving to a 10D and then a 20D still made my clients happy. I was considering a used MF film system and was procrastinating when the 5D was announced. I went that direction and have been very happy with it for years. i retired from commercial shooting 2+ yrs ago and stayed with the 5D because I love FF and that particular camera and don't really have a need to upgrade. I recently sold my
    converted to IR 10d and a Rebel 400 and a number of lenses. About a year
    and a half ago I added a G1 and then added the GF1 a year ago, primarily for size but find myself shooting mostly with them, sometimes with adapted lenses and sometimes with native lenses.

I'm not sure what I will do in the future. I do rather expect I will keep the 5D until it dies. I'm really not sure where I will go when it does or sooner. As to the m4/3rds, It suits my needs right now for size, IQ, flexibility but I do know that will be upgraded but, like many, I'm waiting to see what happens in the next year or so. I find I value smaller size/weight a lot more than I used to when the only other P&S i've owned (G9) was passed to my husband since I wasn't happy with its files. M4/3rds is a good compromise for me at this point.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Jorgen Udvang :

Panasonic has already supplied one touch focusing assist for adapted manual lenses, on the GF1/G2 and G10 bodies. The G1 and GH1 cannot be updated to support it for hardware/firmware reasons. So your angst over this feature is unwarranted.

I don't find the two touch mechanism uncomfortable at all anyway ... I prefer it, frankly, as it does the right thing about letting see where the magnification rectangle will be prior to enabling it.

Just like I do with my television, I set it up and use what is appropriate to me. That's about three out of the 34 buttons on the remote. I ignore all the things that aren't. Why you don't just do that is a mystery to me. Complaining about stuff seems to be a personal entertainment for you and many others; I never understand wanting to waste energy on stuff like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We are just having a nice time talking together. Having a chat about what we think, what we wish, what we like and what we dislike, and why.
    No reason to complain about that ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

[I]Complaining about stuff seems to be a personal entertainment for you and many others; I never understand wanting to waste energy on stuff like that.

Godfrey - sometimes you are priceless - what would we do without you!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

Leica M9 - what else is there? Of course my Nikon D3 is the reliable workhorse and my Mamiya 6's/Rolleiflex TLR for art.

Lost some $ trying the GF-1. Won't do that again. Size wasn't small enough and imo ease of use and IQ paled compared to the Leica. Now give me a p&s digital camera just like the Olympus XA and I will be happy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey - sometimes you are priceless - what would we do without you!
    Probably chatter away endlessly bemoaning the "Goode Olde Days" of things you liked and how all the new stuff sucks. You'll do it anyway, I'm sure.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Probably chatter away endlessly bemoaning the "Goode Olde Days" of things you liked and how all the new stuff sucks. You'll do it anyway, I'm sure.
    You're probably right . . . Mind you, does my M9 and A900 count as the 'Goode Olde Days' already?

As for Jorgen - he has a 'get out of old git complaints free' card, as he takes such fab pictures and is a generally great guy.

Anyway - back to the thread - I'm using an M9 and an A900 because only cameras with a 9 in the name are any good.

Incidentally - just been looking at your website - lots of goodies - I especially like that Tate Modern shot.
    Last edited by jonoslack; 1st September 2010 at 09:32. Reason: to put in a compliment

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally (slowest gun in the West ?) ... I'm still on an APS-C sensor with a Nikon D300 and some Nikkor lenses plus some Zeiss ZF lenses.
    At some point I want to upgrade to an FX sensor just to get a larger and brighter viewfinder.

I have this viewfinder obsession, the viewfinder is the single most important part of a camera for me.
    It's what I use to imagine the image. The rest is about the optics. I don't care much about camera features, the fewer the better.
    The D300 was just the lowest level and cheapest Nikon DSLR metering with oldfashioned AI-S type manual focus lenses, I could find.
    Otherwise I could easily have done with an even lower level plastic camera body.

Apart from that 'viewfinder wish' I am for the first time in the digital age happy with what I have. Simply because it works for me.
    It does what I expect it to do, it doesn't get in the way and luckily I no longer think all that much about the gear.
    I can again concentrate about photographing. Simply put, that's why I use what I use.

But I do admit that I have been very tempted to try out the Sony Alpha DSLR system for probably the best FX viewfinder on the market plus autofocus Zeiss ZA primes.
    Still keeping an eye with the development of that autofocus Zeiss ZA prime lens lineup. Optics are my second obsession

Back in 2004 - 2005 I had some cameras and lenses that gave me some results I really disliked.
    It was a nightmare of distraction and I ended up being manically focused on the gear performance in an attempt to find a solution by rapidly changing camera models and lenses until I simply gave up and jumped to another brand. Everything solved, I could finally relax and concentrate about the images again.

So I guess we could say that gear actually matters a great deal ... if it doesn't work for you, you cannot concentrate !
    Last edited by Steen; 1st September 2010 at 10:26.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Steen, What is "FX"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shh Vivek ... I have no idea, but people rave about it so I thought I'd better want it ...
    Last edited by Steen; 1st September 2010 at 10:39.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    Shh Vivek ... I have no idea, but people rave about it so I thought I'd better want it ...

I've heard that FX means

full frame

but I could be wrong!

I moved on from my Nikon gear to the fx A900 - the viewfinder is lovely, and so are the lenses, but they aren't small (the body isn't bad though). It's all rather simple and 'good olde days' after the Nikon stuff, but I like all that.

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

You're probably right . . . Mind you, does my M9 and A900 count as the 'Goode Olde Days' already?
    Anyway - back to the thread - I'm using an M9 and an A900 because only cameras with a 9 in the name are any good.

Incidentally - just been looking at your website - lots of goodies - I especially like that Tate Modern shot.
    For those with GAS, whatever they saw ten minutes ago could be the "Goode Olde Days". ;-)

Thanks ... I presume you meant www.gdgphoto.com ..? It's *way* out of date ... I really need to put up almost an entirely new set of galleries. But I also like the Tate Modern photos. I have a bunch more from there that I should render.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jorgen, I don't see why manufacturers couldn't sell as many cameras with simple settings than with hundred buttons, proof is many would be happy with it and even look for it , I am one of them.
    It is just another product in the line up.

I read most of what is written in this site because it is mainly gear orientated and it gives me an idea of how you guys are coping with these new cameras.
    If you struggle there is no reason I won't, I take all the pro and cons wich are important to me and deduct what gear could interest me..... and up to now, I haven't find any.

It doesn't matter really, dreaming is important also

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sinwen View Post
    Jorgen, I don't see why manufacturers couldn't sell as many cameras with simple settings than with hundred buttons, proof is many would be happy with it and even look for it , I am one of them.
    It is just another product in the line up.

I read most of what is written in this site because it is mainly gear orientated and it gives me an idea of how you guys are coping with these new cameras.
    If you struggle there is no reason I won't, I take all the pro and cons wich are important to me and deduct what gear could interest me..... and up to now, I haven't find any.

It doesn't matter really, dreaming is important also
    Important point: Discussing gear is one thing, and pointless if we don't aim for the ideal solutions, at least for me. Using it is a completely different matter. Then we make the best out of whatever we have. The "good old" OM-1 wasn't perfect either (I was never able to see that metering needle in low light or on any dark background), but it's simplicity made it such a joy to use.

But I do not trust the electronic giants when it comes to catering for the needs and/or wishes of the customers. It's interesting how smaller manufacturers like Leica and Pentax often come up with equipment that work better for photographers. Unfortunately, they also have less resources, which sometimes influence the end result in a negative way, like with the M8 and K7. But they work hard and evolve. Just look at the M9, and soon, there will hopefully be a K9 as well

I have improved btw. This is nothing compared to my rants before I went digital. At that time, and it's just some five years ago, I couldn't really see the point of taking photos using a plastic container filled with more or less reliable electronics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Which formats?
    Film or digital?
    I don't have much as Guy and his friends have but at least i try to have some good enough gear that i am so happy enough for years, also i am new to Photography, so until the time i can in same age of Admins here i may have same or more than what they have [i hope].
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of Canon 5D's (one of which will be sold when my 5dMarkII get here next week), 70-200 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 non IS, 17-40mm, 24-105, two 2x converters, one 1.4x converter.

Seriously considering mf digital for portrait studio work and hope to add it within next six months. Then I'll probably sell the remaining 5d and one of the 70-200 lenses.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya 645 with a ZD back. Ricoh GX100 to toss in a pocket. Leica M6 and M8 for travel. Mamiya 7II or 4x5 for film.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've heard that FX means

full frame

but I could be wrong!

Oh, the Nikon innovation!

Thanks Jono for interpreting Niko speak.

While everyone used the convention- APS-C and full frame (35mm), Nikon brainwashed its customers with "DX" and "FX".

Those designations, unfortunately, do not apply to other brands.