The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A Rant and a Poll

Vote for as many of these options as you want:

• I like obviously tone-mapped images

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I like obviously over-saturated color images

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I like more traditional Monochrome images

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • I like more traditionally balanced Color images

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • I like the other extreme; obviously muted, low saturation color images

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • I like all photographic images, so anything goes

Votes: 9 19.6%

• Total voters

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Uh, it was sarcastic humor in response to sarcastic humor Godfrey -- got to be able to read it that way when you dish it out that way! :)

Back on topic, at least there does seem to be a trend developing in the poll results. What I now realize that is really missing, is this same set of questions posed to *actual buyers* of photography...

Don Libby

Ya got to remember that you need a good image to begin with. A poorly captured image no mater what you do to process it will still be a poor image; while a very good to stunning capture will just about always stand on its own merits. While we can certainly accomplish a lot using Photoshop or Light Room we still need a good image to begin with.

Just my 2¢

Don

Don Libby

Back on topic, at least there does seem to be a trend developing in the poll results. What I now realize that is really missing, is this same set of questions posed to *actual buyers* of photography...
Very good point Jack! I've had images sell that I wasn't overly fond of however the series was gobbled up very quickly.

Left me scratching my head ...:D

simonclivehughes

Very good point Jack! I've had images sell that I wasn't overly fond of however the series was gobbled up very quickly.

Left me scratching my head ...:D
Oh, I know that feeling... when I show my wife my (pre-PP) images, invariably she will like ones that I have already dismissed. Many times this is because I find it lacking in sharpness, but she still finds the image powerful enough to overlook the softness etc.

It's all such a learning experience! :thumbs:

Cheers,

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yes I find it interesting that you do a edit of a series of images and than someone picks the ones that hit the editing floor. Makes you scratch your head i agree

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Years ago at RIT we were taught (late 60s)
1) If the image is crap print it BIG
2) If it is still crap print it in COLOR
3) If it is still crap print it BIG and in COLOR
4) If it is still crap try mixing your dye transfer dyes a bit or maybe switch them around or try splashing them on
5) If it is still crap, print it very small, blur it a bit and heavily burn the corners, tone it sepia and mount it on a LARGE HEAVY board; consider placing the print high or off-center on the mount.

Somewhere between step 1 and 5 SOMEONE will buy it.

hmmm.
not much has changed other than some technical details :ROTFL:
-bob

Godfrey

Uh, it was sarcastic humor in response to sarcastic humor Godfrey -- got to be able to read it that way when you dish it out that way!
Still scratching my head on that one, but whatever.

I agree completely. Photographers don't buy photographs as a general rule. What they like is irrelevant if you are looking to find out what sells work.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Would like to answer but seriously have a hard time figuring out what is described in Jack's original post about the "new trends". Maybe a couple of examples?

Understandably it would be considered as unethical to show someone else's work in order to poiint up "what one doesn't like", so i guess Jack will simply have to force his nature and create a set for illustration purposes... ;)

P.S. generally i strongly dislike HDR/TM look at all, but some (very little, but still some) people use such techniques as tools to develop an interesting personal style. Including some excellent contributors on GetDPI...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Crap...

Okay, here is a link to a site that has several examples of images. If you look on the front page, MOST of these I do NOT like as they look like the typical overprocessed HDR/TM'd images I refer to above. There are a few however that appear more natural and I am okay with them. That's as close as I'll get to using somebody else's examples ;): http://www.stuckincustoms.com/

Simon M.

I don't think it's poor form to say you don't like the way someone has processed an image, some processing works for some scenes and not for others - right tools for the right job and all.

The more interesting poll would definitely be amongst art buyers; however, I feel they would most likely all gravitate to 'I like all photographic images, so anything goes' answer.

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Crap...

Okay, here is a link to a site that has several examples of images. If you look on the front page, MOST of these I do NOT like as they look like the typical overprocessed HDR/TM'd images I refer to above. There are a few however that appear more natural and I am okay with them. That's as close as I'll get to using somebody else's examples ;): http://www.stuckincustoms.com/
OK thanks- just checking there was nothing new under the sun. Still look overly artificial to me.
(the two photos from India/Taj on that page look very good, though)

My take on HDR/TM is that (if not for a few stylistic exceptions mentionned in the post above) a differentiation should be made between in at least two very different use: "artistic" or "look", to which you're referring to here, and purely "technical" where it's a tool to reveal details in shadows/highlights. A long thread on LL comes to mind, where pretty advanced techniques were discussed for interior shots.

In the former use, HDR/TM is overwhelming in the final resulting image, when in the latter it's an accessory to make the final image look more natural.

Not sure about this, but after all isn't it what the technique was originally intended for?

V

Vivek

(the two photos from India/Taj on that page look very good, though)
The Taj photo might actually illustrate Jack's preference. A white marble (well, it has faded- I hear, due to pollution) is depicted as a brown brick building. Besides that there are some cool (and warm) sky thing going on there.

T

tokengirl

Ok, so while we're talking about stuff we don't like... there seems to be a sub-trend of this TM/HDR thing that is catching on. It involves taking an over-baked TM/HDR photo and converting it to B&W and then beating the life out of it some more. Why, people, why??? :confused:

[/rant over]

Since I've apparently been living under a rock, what is tone mapping? I understand HDR as it relates to modifying the curve of a single image to add detail to highlights or open shadows.

For film, I primarily shot Ektar, Astia or Velvia and tend to process my images to one of those looks. I'm also a fan of contrast masking as needed, but I tend to keep it pretty mild. If when looking at my images, someone thinks that it couldn't have been captured on a single frame of film, I didn't do a very good job.